-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
Disney beats forecasts as streaming struggles improve
Disney on Wednesday reported higher than expected profit in the final three months of last year as it strives to adapt to a shift from television to streaming.
During the earnings announcement, Disney chief Robert Iger also revealed that the entertainment giant is acquiring a "small equity stake" in Fortnite-maker Epic Games, and will release a sequel to its high-grossing animated film "Moana".
The entertainment giant reported a net income of $2.15 billion on revenue of $23.5 billion, about the same amount of money it brought in during the same quarter a year earlier.
"Our strong performance this past quarter demonstrates we have turned the corner and entered a new era," Iger said on an earnings call.
He added that Disney is focused on "building streaming into a profitable growth business, reinvigorating our film studios, and turbocharging growth in our parks and experiences."
Iger also boasted that Disney+ streaming service will be the exclusive online stage for Taylor Swift's recent concert film.
A day earlier, Disney-owned ESPN, Fox and Warner Bros Discovery said they reached agreement on a new streaming platform for live sports content.
The platform would combine the sports offerings of the three networks in one product, offering content from the top US leagues and is planned to be launched later this year.
The product is targeted at 'cord-cutters' who prefer to subscribe to streaming services rather than traditional cable TV packages.
Consumers would be able to bundle the product with existing broader streaming offerings from Disney+, Hulu and Max.
Disney has been under significant pressure ever since Iger left the company only to be brought out of semi-retirement more than a year ago when his successor underperformed.
Upon his return, Iger embarked on a cost-cutting campaign that saw major cuts to the lavish spending that got Disney+ off the ground.
Disney has since raised prices and cracked down on password sharing on the streaming service, and the efforts seemed to be paying off.
Disney’s direct-to-consumer business, of which Disney+ is part, lost a less than expected $138 million in the last quarter of last year, compared with a loss of $984 million 12 months earlier.
But rival streamer Netflix has seen subscriber numbers grow and profits soar despite its crackdown on sharing passwords and higher prices.
As he works to put Disney's streaming service on a profitable path, Iger is trying to fend off campaigns by activist investors to win seats on the entertainment giant's board at an annual meeting of shareholders on April 3.
"We want to ensure that Disney has the right collection of minds around the boardroom table," Blackwells Capital said Tuesday in a letter urging support for its board candidates.
"Disney has not delivered for its shareholders over the last few years."
O.Karlsson--AMWN