-
Fans of historic DC park wary of Trump plan to 'beautify' city
-
As bee population collapses, US apiarists fear research cuts
-
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
-
Campaigners warn Italy's gutted rape bill could help assailants
-
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
-
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
-
Star of Rome's 'sexy priest' calendar admits: 'I was never a priest'
-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
Russian ballet show in South Korea cancelled amid Ukraine tensions
A ballet performance in South Korea featuring dancers from Russia's Bolshoi Ballet was cancelled abruptly, the organisers confirmed to AFP Tuesday, amid growing tensions between Seoul and Moscow over Ukraine and North Korea.
The Russian embassy in Seoul expressed its "deep regret" over the cancellation of the show -- scheduled to open April 16 -- which comes after another planned performance in Seoul featuring Russia's top ballet dancer Svetlana Zakharova was axed in March.
Ukraine said the show had been cancelled after a vigerous lobbying campaign by its local embassy.
"Russian 'cultural' propaganda should have no place on international platforms," it added on an official Telegram account.
But the South Korean organiser Choi Jun-seok, who studied at Russia's Bolshoi Ballet Academy, told AFP that while Kyiv's embassy had requested he cancel the show, the final decision was made by the venue, Seoul's Sejong Center for the Performing Arts.
"The Ukraine embassy did ask to meet with me and ask me to cancel the show, as Russia started the war and Ukraine is in pain," he said, adding that his goal was to help young Korean ballet dancers see world-class performances.
The performance had already undergone several changes in the run up to the opening, including a reduction in the number of Russian performers and alterations to its content, Choi said.
The venue had been under pressure from activists to cancel, with a rally staged outside Sunday.
One of the banners they held read: "Purchasing tickets for Russian performances = Purchasing missiles that will kill civilians."
Another read: "Caution! Russian culture sponsors the war!"
The relationship between Seoul and Moscow is at one of its lowest points in years, as Russia last month used its UN veto to effectively end UN monitoring of violations of the raft of sanctions on nuclear-armed North Korea.
The Russian embassy in Seoul said Monday that it "can't help but notice that South Korea is now showing a certain tendency in its approach to cooperation with Russia in the cultural field as well".
"We will have no choice but to consider this," it added.
Russia in February said increased tension on the Korean peninsula was "primarily due to the brazen policy" of Seoul and Washington not North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's nuclear weapons, prompting South Korea to summon Russia's ambassador to protest.
Seoul has claimed that the North has sent 7,000 containers of arms to Russia to help support its war in Ukraine -- which would violate rafts of UN sanctions on both Moscow and Pyongyang.
Ukraine also protested when Zakharova's Seoul performance was announced, local media said at the time.
Zakharova, a Ukrainian-born Russian, is widely known as a supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin and the venue -- the Seoul Arts Center -- at the time cited "safety concerns" for the cancellation.
O.M.Souza--AMWN