-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
-
West Ham on brink of Premier League relegation, Man Utd seal third
-
Bulgaria's Eurovision winner flies home to rapturous welcome
-
Starc takes four to keep Delhi alive in IPL
-
Kyiv residents protest 'dangerous' civil code, call for LGBTQ rights
-
Modiba thunderbolt gives Sundowns victory in African final first leg
-
World champions England see off France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Taiwan's leader says island will not be 'traded away'
-
Sinner wins Italian Open, extends Masters tournament streak
-
'Michael' moonwalks back to top of N. America box office
-
Putter powers sizzling Kitayama to record 63 at PGA
-
Travolta channelled film greats in low-thrust plane movie
-
Scotland rugby great Scott Hastings dead at 61 - SRU
-
Fujimori and Sanchez advance to Peru runoff: official results
-
Italian PM meets victims of Modena car incident
-
'Fight relentlessly': Ukraine commander vows strikes into Russia
-
Kitayama fires sizzling 63 at PGA as No.1 Scheffler starts
-
Fernandes equals Premier League assist record in Man Utd win, West Ham brace for Newcastle
-
Ireland thrash Scotland 54-5 in Women's Six Nations to finish third
-
Vingegaard climbs to victory as Eulalio holds firm in pink
-
Carrick expects clarity on Man Utd future in 'coming days'
-
Eyewitness says Modena tragedy could have been even worse
-
Around 10 'new' victims in France's Epstein probe: prosecutor
-
Shock threat by billionaire Bollore's Canal+ group rocks French cinema
-
Kohli, Venkatesh dazzle as Bengaluru qualify for IPL play-offs
-
Probes ongoing into alleged abuse at 84 Paris preschools: prosecutor
-
Di Giannantonio wins Catalan MotoGP Grand Prix, Alex Marquez injured in horror crash
-
Fernandes equals assist record as Man Utd edge Forest thriller
-
Earps to leave PSG, in talks with London City Lionesses
-
Bowlers, Joy put Bangladesh on top in second Pakistan Test
-
Alex Marquez injured in horrific Catalan MotoGP crash
-
'Message for friends and foes': Libyan National Army conducts grand exercises
-
Bayern's Neuer sidelined again with leg issue
-
Adam Driver shuts down question about clashes with Lena Dunham
-
British soprano Felicity Lott dies aged 79
-
Roma near Champions League return with derby triumph, Napoli secure top four
-
Denmark's Antonsen wins badminton Thailand Open title
Germany's Oktoberfest opens under tight security after attacks
Munich's Oktoberfest, the world's biggest beer festival, opened Saturday under heightened security following a string of attacks in Germany attributed to jihadists.
"We will make the Oktoberfest as safe as possible," Munich mayor Dieter Reiter pledged ahead of the 189th edition of the event, which runs until October 6.
Billed as the world's biggest folk culture festival, the Oktoberfest last year drew more than seven million visitors who consumed a total of 6.5 million litres of beer.
The tighter police security this year comes after a spate of extremist attacks, including a deadly knife rampage in the city of Solingen last month.
Police arrested a Syrian man who had allegedly claimed allegiance to the Islamic State group ahead of the attack that killed three people and wounded eight more.
And earlier this month, Munich police shot dead a man after he opened fire on them and at the city's Israeli consulate in what was being treated as a suspected terrorist attack.
Munich police director Christian Huber reassured guests making their way to the Bavarian state capital that the Oktoberfest was the "safest festival in Germany, if not worldwide".
The general threat level was heightened but there were no indications that the Munich festival was being targeted, Huber said Wednesday.
- Cannabis crackdown -
As well as 600 police officers, the city will deploy another 1,500 security guards to guide visitors swiftly through entry controls.
The authorities will install metal detectors around the festival for the first time, as well as monitoring the event on security cameras.
Police will be checking the use of cannabis on the festival premises, despite its legalisation nationwide in April.
Bavaria's authorities have sought to restrict consumption of the drug as much as possible, banning cannabis at public festivals and in beer gardens.
Anyone caught smoking a joint instead of drinking a stein risks a fine of up to 1,500 euros ($1,675).
The Oktoberfest is more than two centuries old though it has been cancelled at times of crisis, such as cholera outbreaks, Napoleon's invasion of Bavaria, both world wars and the Covid pandemic.
The event was originally held in October as the name suggests, to celebrate a royal wedding, but was brought forward by one month to take advantage of the late summer weather.
Many revellers from Germany and around the world sport traditional Bavarian leather shorts and dirndl dresses for the extravaganza, which features oompah music and Schuhplattler dancers.
Years of inflation have not spared the Oktoberfest. There has been grumbling as the price of a large glass mug of beer has soared above 15 euros (above $16) this year.
J.Oliveira--AMWN