-
Frederick Wiseman, documentarian of America's institutions, dead at 96
-
Gu pipped to Olympic gold again as Meillard extends Swiss ski dominance
-
Copper powers profit surge at Australia's BHP
-
China's Gu defiant after missing out on Olympic gold again
-
Remains of Colombian priest-turned-guerrilla identified six decades later
-
USA bobsleigh veteran Meyers Taylor wins elusive gold
-
Miura and Kihara snatch Olympic pairs gold for Japan
-
Gu pipped to gold again as Meillard extends Swiss ski dominance at Olympics
-
Barca suffer title defence blow in Girona derby defeat
-
Brentford edge out sixth-tier Macclesfield in FA Cup
-
Canada's Oldham wins Olympic freeski big air final, denying Gu gold
-
France loosens rules on allowing farmers to shoot wolves
-
USA thrash Sweden to reach Olympic women's ice hockey final
-
Russian poisonings aim to kill -- and send a message
-
France's Macron eyes fighter jet deal in India
-
Arsenal to face third-tier Mansfield, Newcastle host Man City in FA Cup
-
Robert Duvall: understated actor's actor, dead at 95
-
'How long?': Day Three of hunger strike for Venezuelan political prisoners' release
-
Berlinale: Film director Mundruczo left Hungary due to lack of funding
-
Malinin talks of 'fighting invisible battles' after Olympic failure
-
'Godfather' and 'Apocalypse Now' actor Robert Duvall dead at 95
-
Sinner serves up impressive Doha win on his return
-
Luis Enrique dismisses 'noise' around PSG before Monaco Champions League clash
-
Grief-stricken McGrath left in shock at Olympic slalom failure
-
Brignone leads charge of veteran women as Italy celebrates record Olympic haul
-
Sri Lanka's Nissanka leaves Australia on brink of T20 World Cup exit
-
England match-winner Jacks proud, confident heading into Super Eights
-
St Peter's Basilica gets terrace cafe, translated mass for 400th birthday
-
Meillard hails Swiss 'golden era' after slalom win caps Olympic domination
-
Sri Lanka fight back after strong start by Australia's Marsh, Head
-
Kovac calls on Dortmund to carry domestic 'momentum' into Champions League
-
Dutch inventor of hit game 'Kapla' dead at 80: family
-
Benfica's Mourinho plays down Real Madrid return rumour before rematch
-
St Peter's Basilica gets terrace cafe for 400th anniversary
-
Meillard extends Swiss Olympic strangehold while Gu aims for gold
-
Meillard crowns Swiss men's Olympic domination with slalom gold
-
German carnival revellers take swipes at Putin, Trump, Epstein
-
England survive Italy scare to reach T20 World Cup Super Eights
-
Gold rush grips South African township
-
'Tehran' TV series producer Dana Eden found dead in Athens
-
Iran FM in Geneva for US talks, as Guards begin drills in Hormuz Strait
-
AI chatbots to face UK safety rules after outcry over Grok
-
Sakamoto fights fatigue, Japanese rivals and US skaters for Olympic women's gold
-
'Your success is our success,' Rubio tells Orban ahead of Hungary polls
-
Spain unveils public investment fund to tackle housing crisis
-
African diaspora's plural identities on screen in Berlin
-
Del Toro wins shortened UAE Tour first stage
-
German carnival revellers take sidesweep at Putin, Trump, Epstein
-
Killing of far-right activist stokes tensions in France
-
Record Jacks fifty carries England to 202-7 in must-win Italy match
Fired IT worker partly shuts down British Museum
The British Museum said it had closed a number of exhibits after a fired IT contractor "shut down" some of its systems, in one of several unrelated incidents targeting European museums on Saturday.
The London venue, one of the UK capital's biggest tourist draws and best known for housing the Rosetta Stone and the Parthenon Marbles, said police had arrested the suspect.
"An IT contractor who was dismissed last week trespassed into the museum and shut down several of our systems," a museum spokesman said.
"We are working hard to get the museum back to being fully operational but with regret our temporary exhibitions have been closed today and will remain so over the weekend."
Meanwhile in the Netherlands, the Drents Museum in Assen said it was closed for the weekend after robbers used explosives to break in and steal three antique bracelets and a gold helmet.
Police were alerted to an explosion early Saturday, with the thieves stealing the golden helmet of Cotofenesti, dating from the mid-fifth century BC, the museum said on its website.
The helmet -- the centrepiece of a temporary exhibition -- was on loan from Romania's National History Museum in Bucharest.
And in Paris, the world-famous Orsay Museum was forced to disable its own ticketing system for several hours Friday after falling victim to a fraudulent scheme involving "mirror sites", it told AFP Saturday.
The museum, home to works by Vincent van Gogh and other master painters, was alerted Friday that visitors trying to buy tickets online were being redirected without realising it to bogus ticket sales websites.
After suspending online ticketing services for some of Friday, operations were back to normal Saturday, it said.
- 'Further enquiries' -
A spokesperson for London's Metropolitan police said officers responded to the British Museum late Thursday following reports that a man on-site had "caused damage" to its security and IT systems.
Police arrested the man in his 50s at the scene on suspicion of burglary and criminal damage. He has been bailed "pending further enquiries," the spokesperson added.
Part of the museum's permanent collection was also closed Friday following the incident, Britain's Press Association news agency reported.
A message on the museum's website Saturday stated that it was "open but due to an IT infrastructure issue some galleries have had to be closed".
It added this meant "capacity will be limited, and priority will be given to members and pre-booked ticket-holders".
The incident is the latest embarrassing security lapse for the museum after allegations emerged in 2023 that a former employee was suspected of selling items stolen from its vast collection.
About 1,800 objects were disclosed as missing or stolen in August 2023.
The museum dismissed a staff member suspected of involvement in what it called "an inside job", and alerted police who have interviewed a person but made no arrests.
Hundreds of the items have since been recovered.
Following a furore around that scandal, Hartwig Fischer, the director of the museum at the time, resigned.
After a temporary head was appointed, Nicholas Cullinan -- who was previously in charge of the National Portrait Gallery -- took over the role last year.
D.Cunningha--AMWN