-
'Climate cult' hurts Europe's economy, US energy secretary tells AFP
-
Peru's presidential musical chairs
-
France arrests nine over far-right activist's killing
-
France arrests seven over far-right activist's killing
-
Frostad dethrones Ruud in Olympic freeski big air thriller
-
Galatasaray thrash 10-man Juve in Champions League play-off 1st leg
-
Woods return timeline uncertain, but won't rule out Masters
-
Dozens of film figures condemn Berlin Film Festival 'silence' on Gaza
-
Iran, Ukraine talks spark diplomatic merry-go-round in Geneva
-
Canada launches huge defence plan to curb reliance on US
-
US says will match alleged Chinese low-yield nuclear tests
-
Alcaraz battles into second round of Qatar Open
-
Russians, Belarusians to compete under own flags at Paralympics: IPC tells AFP
-
Bayer proposes class settlement for weedkiller cancer claims
-
Gauff, Rybakina cruise into Dubai last 16
-
Greenland entrepreneur gambles on leafy greens
-
Father of US school shooter goes on trial on murder charges
-
Iran, US agree on 'guiding principles' for deal at Geneva talks: Iran FM
-
Warner Bros. gives Paramount one week to outbid Netflix
-
Russians, Belarusians allowed to compete under own flags at 2026 Paralympics: IPC tells AFP
-
Ukrainian wife battles blackouts to keep terminally ill husband alive
-
Pollock handed first England start for Ireland visit
-
Oil prices fall back as 'hopeful' Tehran responds to Trump
-
Arteta welcomes Madueke and Saka's competition for places
-
France and India hail growing ties as Modi hosts Macron
-
Warner Bros. says reopening talks with Paramount on its buyout offer
-
Slalom showdown Shiffrin's last chance for Milan-Cortina medal
-
Protesters march in Kosovo, as ex-president's war crimes trial nears end
-
No pressure on India opener Abhishek after two ducks, says coach
-
Sakamoto eyes figure skating gold in Olympic farewell
-
Pereira 'trusts' Forest owner Marinakis despite three sackings this season
-
AI 'arms race' risks human extinction, warns top computing expert
-
Israeli bobsleigher dismisses Olympics 'diatribe' by Swiss TV commentator
-
Supreme leader says Iran can sink US warship as Geneva talks conclude
-
Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout
-
Greece experts to examine Nazi atrocity photos find
-
Los Angeles mayor calls for 2028 Olympics chairman to step down over Epstein files
-
Evenepoel takes UAE Tour lead with time-trial win
-
Oil prices rise as Trump ramps up Iran threats
-
EU investigates Shein over sale of childlike sex dolls
-
Bangladesh's new PM, political heir Tarique Rahman
-
Rain threatens to knock Australia out of T20 World Cup
-
US civil rights leader Jesse Jackson dies at 84: family
-
Trump's new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed
-
Jesse Jackson: civil rights lion sought 'common ground'
-
Iran, United States hold new talks in Geneva
-
Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing
-
Being back in the USA 'feels amazing', says Vonn
-
New Zealand cruise into Super Eights at T20 World Cup
-
Moscow, Kyiv meet for US-brokered talks after fresh attacks
Weinstein accuser recounts alleged rape at assault retrial in NY
One of Harvey Weinstein's accusers on Wednesday again told a New York court that he had raped her, five years after she testified in the first sexual assault trial of the disgraced Hollywood producer.
Miriam Haley, 48, is one of dozens of women who have accused Weinstein of harassment, sexual assault or rape -- a list that includes Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Ashley Judd. Their accounts helped galvanize the #MeToo movement.
Weinstein's 2020 convictions on charges relating to Haley and aspiring actress Jessica Mann were overturned last year by the New York Court of Appeals, which ruled that the way witnesses were handled in the original trial was unlawful.
Back in a Manhattan courtroom, Haley again tearfully recalled the day in July 2006 when she says she accepted an invitation to visit Weinstein's Soho apartment. At the time, she was a showbiz production assistant looking for work.
She had previously met Weinstein and refused his sexual advances, but had just wrapped up a contract on a TV show made by his production company, and needed a new job.
Haley, who has also used the name Mimi Haleyi, told the court that Weinstein suddenly "lunged at me, tried to kiss me."
She said she got up from the sofa, but Weinstein did as well, and he eventually forced her into his bedroom and held her down with "a lot of force."
"I couldn't get away from him," she told the jury, explaining that despite her pleas for him to stop, Weinstein then forcibly performed oral sex on her and she realized she was being "raped."
Across the courtroom, the 73-year-old Weinstein occasionally shook his head during her testimony. Otherwise, he listened attentively from his wheelchair, his head resting on one of his hands.
For the duration of the trial, Weinstein will remain in hospital, not in his jail cell.
The former Miramax studio boss is charged in the New York retrial with the 2006 sexual assault of Haley and the 2013 rape of Mann. He also faces a new count for an alleged sexual assault of a 19-year-old in 2006.
Accusers describe the impresario as a predator who used his perch atop the cinema industry to pressure actresses and assistants for sexual favors, often in hotel rooms.
Weinstein has never acknowledged any wrongdoing and has always maintained that the encounters were consensual.
His defense team plans to emphasize that Haley remained in touch with Weinstein after the alleged assault.
Weinstein -- the producer of a string of box office hits such as "Pulp Fiction" and "Shakespeare in Love" -- is serving a 16-year prison sentence after being convicted in California of raping and assaulting a European actress more than a decade ago.
G.Stevens--AMWN