-
At least 16 killed after building collapses in Pakistan following blast
-
Summit photo op fails to unite AI startup rivals
-
OpenAI's Altman says world 'urgently' needs AI regulation
-
Horror comics boom in our age of anxiety
-
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31
-
London fashion week opens with tribute to one of its greats
-
Ex-S.Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection
-
Pea soup, veggie mash contest warms up Dutch winter
-
South Korea's Yoon: from rising star to jailed ex-president
-
Private companies seek to import fuel amid Cuban energy crisis
-
India search for 'perfect game' as South Africa loom in Super Eights
-
India's Modi calls for inclusive tech at AI summit
-
Airbus planning record commercial aircraft deliveries in 2026
-
Elections under fire: Colombia endures deadliest campaign in decades
-
Traore backs 'hungry' Italy against France in Six Nations
-
All-rounder Curran brings stuttering England to life at the death
-
South Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
Tech chiefs address India AI summit as Gates cancels
-
Australia rejects foreign threats after claim of China interference
-
Somali militias terrorise locals after driving out Al-Qaeda
-
Peru picks Balcazar as interim president, eighth leader in a decade
-
Australian defence firm helps Ukraine zap Russian drones
-
General strike to protest Milei's labor reforms starts in Argentina
-
Cuban opposition figure Ferrer supports Maduro-like US operation for Cuba
-
High-stakes showdown in Nepal's post-uprising polls
-
Asian markets rally after Wall St tech-led gains
-
After Greenland, Arctic island Svalbard wary of great powers
-
Veteran Slipper set for new Super Rugby landmark
-
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
-
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning
-
Australia vow to entertain in bid for Women's Asian Cup glory
-
Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards
-
Jail, disgrace and death: the dark fates of South Korean leaders
-
S. Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
MotoGP dumps Phillip Island for Adelaide street circuit
-
Trump kicks off his 'Board of Peace,' with eye on Gaza and beyond
-
Walmart results expected to highlight big plans for AI
-
Australia Olympic TV reporter apologises after slurring words
-
Formation Metals Appoints Roger Rosmus to Newly Established Advisory Board
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - February 19
-
USA and Canada on course to meet for Olympic men's ice hockey gold
-
Bodo/Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
-
McIlroy aims to eliminate 'big numbers' in pursuit of first Riviera title
-
PM Modi, top tech bosses to address India AI summit
-
Bad Bunny to star in movie about Puerto Rico
-
Arsenal blow two-goal lead in damaging Wolves draw
-
Habib Beye appointed coach of Marseille
-
Sloppy Atletico held in six-goal Brugge thriller
-
Schick steers Leverkusen past Olympiacos in Champions League
Germany's Merz criticises festival for axing Israeli conductor
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz argued Wednesday that the "poison of antisemitism" was spreading as he criticised a Belgian festival's decision to axe a performance by a German orchestra with an Israeli conductor.
The Flanders Festival Ghent announced last week it was cancelling the Munich Philharmonic's show as it was going to be led by the orchestra's future chief conductor, Lahav Shani.
When they announced the cancellation of the concert, organisers said Shani had not "unequivocally" distanced himself from the Israeli government, whose war against Palestinian militant group Hamas in Gaza has triggered international uproar.
But the move triggered condemnation and accusations of antisemitism, including from Germany, Israel and Belgium.
"Antisemitic rhetoric is becoming normalised," warned Merz in a speech in Berlin to mark the 75th anniversary of the establishment of Germany's Central Council of Jews.
"Jewish and Israeli artists are being subjected to ideological tests and marginalised solely because of their origins, solely because of their faith."
Referring to the cancellation of Shani's appearance at the Belgian festival, Merz warned of the increasing spread of the "poison of antisemitism".
The 36-year-old conductor also spoke out about the controversy Tuesday, calling the cancellation of his appearance at the Ghent festival "regrettable".
The festival's management had yielded to "political pressures", said Shani, who officially takes over as conductor of the Munich orchestra for the 2026/27 season and is currently music director of the Israel Philharmonic.
They had demanded "that I make a political declaration despite my long standing and publicly expressed commitment to peace and reconciliation", he said.
There has been an outpouring of support for Shani since the cancellation.
On Monday he performed with the Munich orchestra at a festival in the German capital after being invited by the Berlin Philharmonic at short notice in a show of solidarity.
Israel launched its retaliatory offensive in the Gaza Strip following Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.
The catastrophic humanitarian conditions in Gaza as a result of Israel's campaign have fuelled widespread public anger in Europe, although the region's governments have been divided on how to respond.
L.Mason--AMWN