-
Liverpool boss Slot says Isak in 'final stages of rehab'
-
Airbus ready to build two new European fighter jets if 'customers' ask
-
UN Sudan probe finds 'hallmarks of genocide' in El-Fasher
-
Costelow starts, Hamer-Webb makes Wales debut in Six Nations clash with Scotland
-
Facing US warnings, Iran defends right to nuclear enrichment
-
Ex-South Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection
-
OpenAI's Altman says at India summit regulation 'urgently' needed
-
British couple held in Iran sentenced to 10 years
-
West Indies ease past Italy to tune up for T20 Super Eights
-
At least 16 killed after building collapses in Pakistan following blast
-
Summit photo op fails to unite AI startup rivals
-
OpenAI's Altman says world 'urgently' needs AI regulation
-
Horror comics boom in our age of anxiety
-
Turkey fires up coal pollution even as it hosts COP31
-
London fashion week opens with tribute to one of its greats
-
Ex-S.Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection
-
Pea soup, veggie mash contest warms up Dutch winter
-
South Korea's Yoon: from rising star to jailed ex-president
-
Private companies seek to import fuel amid Cuban energy crisis
-
India search for 'perfect game' as South Africa loom in Super Eights
-
India's Modi calls for inclusive tech at AI summit
-
Airbus planning record commercial aircraft deliveries in 2026
-
Elections under fire: Colombia endures deadliest campaign in decades
-
Traore backs 'hungry' Italy against France in Six Nations
-
All-rounder Curran brings stuttering England to life at the death
-
South Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
Tech chiefs address India AI summit as Gates cancels
-
Australia rejects foreign threats after claim of China interference
-
Somali militias terrorise locals after driving out Al-Qaeda
-
Peru picks Balcazar as interim president, eighth leader in a decade
-
Australian defence firm helps Ukraine zap Russian drones
-
General strike to protest Milei's labor reforms starts in Argentina
-
Cuban opposition figure Ferrer supports Maduro-like US operation for Cuba
-
High-stakes showdown in Nepal's post-uprising polls
-
Asian markets rally after Wall St tech-led gains
-
After Greenland, Arctic island Svalbard wary of great powers
-
Veteran Slipper set for new Super Rugby landmark
-
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
-
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning
-
Australia vow to entertain in bid for Women's Asian Cup glory
-
Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards
-
Jail, disgrace and death: the dark fates of South Korean leaders
-
S. Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
MotoGP dumps Phillip Island for Adelaide street circuit
-
Trump kicks off his 'Board of Peace,' with eye on Gaza and beyond
-
Walmart results expected to highlight big plans for AI
-
Australia Olympic TV reporter apologises after slurring words
-
Core Critical Metals Corp. Announces Acquisition of the Advanced Lucky Mike Silver-Copper-Tungsten Project
-
LSEG Launches Model-as-a-Service
-
Formation Metals Appoints Roger Rosmus to Newly Established Advisory Board
Kimmel boycott weakens as US TV company puts him back on air
One of the companies that began boycotting comedian Jimmy Kimmel after US government pressure said Friday it would start broadcasting his show again.
Disney-owned ABC took the late-night host off the air when Sinclair and another firm said they would no longer show his program on the dozens of stations they own, purportedly over remarks the comedian made in the wake of the murder of right-wing activist Charlie Kirk.
But after a public outcry over freedom of speech, ABC reversed course, with Kimmel's return proving a huge ratings hit, even as the blackout meant a quarter of the country could not watch.
Sinclair -- which had previously demanded Kimmel make a personal donation to Kirk's activist group -- said Friday it would carry the show again with immediate effect.
"Our objective throughout this process has been to ensure that programming remains accurate and engaging for the widest possible audience," the company said.
"We take seriously our responsibility as local broadcasters to provide programming that serves the interests of our communities, while also honoring our obligations to air national network programming."
There was no immediate word from Nexstar, the other firm that acted after Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Brendan Carr appeared to threaten the licenses of stations broadcasting the show unless they demanded Kimmel's removal.
In a lengthy statement Sinclair said it had proposed a network-wide ombudsman who could referee complaints about content, but "ABC and Disney have not yet adopted these measures."
"Our decision to pre-empt this program was independent of any government interaction or influence," the company said.
"Free speech provides broadcasters with the right to exercise judgment as to the content on their local stations. While we understand that not everyone will agree with our decisions about programming, it is simply inconsistent to champion free speech while demanding that broadcasters air specific content."
President Donald Trump, who has long chafed at the mockery he receives from Kimmel and his fellow late night talk show hosts, has repeatedly demanded they be taken off air, and has called other criticism of him "illegal."
On his Tuesday night return, Kimmel took aim at the "anti-American" attempt to silence a comedian.
"The president of the United States made it very clear he wants to see me and the hundreds of people who work here fired from our jobs," he said.
"Our leader celebrates Americans losing their livelihoods because he can't take a joke."
Ch.Havering--AMWN