-
Townsend expects recalled Scotland duo to shine in Six Nations clash with Wales
-
Peru's new president under fire for child sex comments
-
UK king opens London fashion week despite brother's arrest
-
Belarus frees opposition politician Statkevich
-
Striking Argentine workers slow down Buenos Aires in protest over labor reforms
-
Starlink loss a blow to Russian forces in Ukraine: experts
-
UN's Sudan probe finds 'hallmarks of genocide' in El-Fasher
-
Belarus frees opposition politician Statkevich: wife
-
Rocket re-entry pollution measured in atmosphere for first time
-
Airbus ready to build two new European fighters if countries want
-
Canada makes push to attract skilled migrants, including for defence
-
US threatens to leave IEA if net zero focus remains
-
Walmart outlines big AI ambitions as it reports mixed results
-
Trump kicks off his 'Board of Peace,' as war clouds loom on Iran
-
UK pubs to stay open late if home nations reach World Cup knockouts
-
TotalEnergies in high-stakes French trial over climate change
-
Bosnia probes fascist salutes at Croatian singer's concert
-
US and Israel issue dire warnings to Iran alongside US military buildup
-
British public cheer Andrew's arrest with a smile and relief
-
Argentine workers go on strike to protest Milei's labor reforms
-
Nakai targets Olympic skating upset as 'skimo' makes debut
-
What we know about ex-prince Andrew's friendship with Epstein
-
US trade deficit in goods widens to new record in 2025
-
Oil extends gains on US-Iran tensions, stocks retreat
-
Williams 'on the back foot' after missing Barcelona: Albon
-
Real Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism probe
-
Olympics rev up Milan's renewal but locals fear price to pay
-
Cardona Coll, Fatton win Olympic-debuting ski mountaineering sprint golds
-
MSF will keep operating in Gaza 'as long as we can': mission head
-
Russian Filippov wins first medal at Milan-Cortina Games for individual neutral athletes
-
Italian Milan takes sprint honours at UAE Tour
-
Dozens killed in jihadist attacks in northwest Nigeria
-
Zimbabwe unbeaten in T20 World Cup after six-wicket Sri Lanka win
-
Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a 'bad decision'
-
Switzerland's Fatton wins women's ski mountaineering sprint on Olympic debut
-
Kinghorn, Van der Merwe return for Scotland against Six Nations strugglers Wales
-
Repsol says could boost Venezuela oil output over 50% in 12 months
-
UN says Israeli actions raise 'ethnic cleansing' fears in West Bank, Gaza
-
Arteta tells faltering leaders Arsenal to harness Wolves 'pain' against Spurs
-
Crowley gets nod for Irish as Prendergast drops out
-
Unbeaten Swiss to meet Great Britain in Olympic men's curling semis
-
UK police arrest ex-prince Andrew on suspicion of misconduct
-
Oil extends gains on US-Iran tensions, Europe stocks slide
-
Former prince Andrew, a historic downfall
-
Sri Lanka post 178-7 against Zimbabwe ahead of T20 Super Eights
-
OpenAI's Altman tells leaders regulation 'urgently' needed
-
US renews threat to leave IEA
-
Liverpool boss Slot says Isak in 'final stages of rehab'
-
Airbus ready to build two new European fighter jets if 'customers' ask
-
UN Sudan probe finds 'hallmarks of genocide' in El-Fasher
Paris prosecutor promises update in Louvre heist probe
Two men could face charges Wednesday over the spectacular theft of priceless jewels from the Louvre museum, as a Paris prosecutor promised an update in the case.
Dozens of detectives have been on the trail of four thieves who used a cherry-picker truck and cutting gear to break into a first-floor gallery at the world-renowned museum on the morning of October 19, then fled with jewellery estimated to be worth more than $102 million.
But few details have emerged so far about how investigators have managed to track down the culprits, some of whom wore balaclavas and high-visibility vests.
Two men were arrested on Saturday in connection with the heist in the heart of the French capital earlier this month, with their time in custody due to expire on Wednesday evening, meaning they could face charges in the case.
Laure Beccuau was expected to hold a press conference at 17:00 local time (1600 GMT), her office said.
A source close to the case this weekend said the men in their thirties were known to the police for committing thefts.
They hailed from Seine-Saint-Denis, a region just outside Paris, and one was arrested as he was about to board a plane for Algeria, the source said, requesting anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the press.
After media reports of the detentions, Beccuau said authorities had "carried out arrests on Saturday evening", and confirmed that "one of the men arrested was about to leave the country" from the capital's Charles de Gaulle airport.
- Halloween trend -
Last week, Beccuau told local media that detectives were investigating "150 DNA samples, fingerprints and other traces".
She said public and private security cameras had allowed detectives to track the thieves "in Paris and in surrounding regions".
The thieves dropped a diamond- and emerald-studded crown as they escaped, and police found a yellow vest several minutes away by scooter that they believe belonged to one of the culprits.
The burglars made off with eight other items of jewellery.
Among them are an emerald-and-diamond necklace that Napoleon I gave his wife, Empress Marie-Louise, and a diadem that once belonged to the Empress Eugenie, which is dotted with nearly 2,000 diamonds.
The brazen theft made headlines across the world, and has inspired a new trend in Halloween costumes involving black balaclavas, tiaras and bright yellow vests.
It has also sparked a debate in France about the security of cultural institutions.
Less than 24 hours after the high-profile break-in, a museum in eastern France reported the theft of gold and silver coins after finding a smashed display case.
The Louvre's director Laurence des Cars last week admitted that security cameras did not adequately cover the thieves' point of entry.
But she defended a multi-million dollar plan to increase security at the museum.
P.Costa--AMWN