-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
A former Google executive took over as the BBC's new director-general on Monday amid proposed job cuts and a $10-billion lawsuit brought by US President Donald Trump, arguing that the world now "needs the BBC more than ever".
Matt Brittin, 57, who has no broadcasting or journalism experience, starts the job against a background of drastic shifts in the media landscape.
The British-born executive was for over a decade president of Google's Europe, Middle East and Africa division, which earns around a third of its revenue. He previously worked as a consultant for McKinsey.
Arriving at the BBC's central London headquarters for his first day in charge, he was greeted by a handful of placard-waving protesters from the National Union of Journalists (NUJ).
The corporation has said it is looking to axe up to 2,000 jobs as it tries to reduce costs by 10 percent over the next three years.
Brittin told reporters he was "honoured" and "humbled" to be taking on the role.
But he warned that "tough choices are unavoidable as we make savings", in a note to staff.
"We must be where audiences are, and experiment more bravely: test ideas, learn quickly and back what works," he added.
Brittin replaces Tim Davie, who had held the BBC post since 2020. He resigned in November over the Trump lawsuit.
- Reinvention -
Trump launched his legal action over a documentary that included an edited clip of a speech he made ahead of the US Capitol riot in January 2021. The edit made it appear he explicitly urged supporters to attack the seat of Congress.
The BBC said in March it had formally asked a US federal court in Florida to dismiss the lawsuit.
Brittin also faces the politically sensitive task of renegotiating the BBC's Royal Charter that outlines the corporation's governance. Its current charter will end next year.
A sizeable proportion of the BBC's income comes from the licence fee, which is payable by all UK households with a television, or whose occupants watch live screening online.
But the BBC lost more than £1.1 billion in revenues last year as fewer homes felt the need to apply for one, a parliamentary committee report said in November.
The Trump lawsuit is the latest scandal to hit the corporation.
Earlier in 2025 it was forced to issue several apologies for "serious flaws" in the making of another documentary entitled "Gaza: How To Survive A Warzone", broadcast last February.
In October it accepted a sanction from the UK media watchdog for what was deemed a "materially misleading" programme, whose child narrator was later revealed to be the son of Hamas's former deputy agriculture minister.
Brittin said the BBC had "proved throughout its history how quickly it can reinvent itself to serve the needs of audiences".
"We need, collectively, to call on that sense of urgency now. That means moving with velocity and clarity," he added in his note to staff.
D.Sawyer--AMWN