-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
A UK court ordered Prince Harry and six others Friday to pay an initial £9.5 million ($13 million) after they lost their long-running privacy case against the publisher of British tabloid the Daily Mail.
The High Court said the prince and six other high-profile figures, who last month lost their unlawful information gathering and privacy invasion claims against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), must make the payment within a week.
It comes less than 48 hours after the shock news broke that the Duke of Sussex will be relocating back to Britain from California within weeks with his wife Meghan and their two children.
The claimants in the case -- which include Elton John, his husband David Furnish, actors Elizabeth Hurley and Sadie Frost -- accused the Mail of bugging their cars and homes, listening into calls and other privacy breaches. ANL had denied all the allegations.
After an emotional 11-week trial -- during which Harry gave in-person evidence -- judge Matthew Nicklin sided with the publisher in a July 7 ruling, concluding the "claimants failed to prove their pleaded allegations".
After a further two-day hearing over costs, he made Friday's initial costs decision, while again criticising the claimant's case as "speculative and substantially inferential".
"The Court ordered the claimants make an interim payment of £9,544,355" by 4:00 pm (1500 GMT) on August 28," a published summary stated.
The court noted ANL estimates its total costs defending itself had reached about £34.5 million by July 9, which Nicklin said appeared "excessive" and "largely unexplained".
In his latest 44-page decision, he said the figure provoked "real concerns as to whether all of the costs now claimed by Associated were reasonably incurred and are reasonable".
- 'Overwhelming victory' -
However, the ruling noted the High Court had not determined how much of those costs the claimants must ultimately pay.
"The issue before the court was the basis on which costs should be assessed, not the amount recoverable," the summary stated.
"If the amount is not agreed, that question will be determined separately by a costs judge."
Nicklin rejected requests by Harry and the others to pay on a standard basis, instead favouring arguments by ANL that its costs should be repaid on a stricter so-called indemnity basis.
"The Court concluded that the litigation had been pursued in a way that took it 'well outside the norm'," the summary of the ruling said, noting "the gravity of the allegations" among other factors.
The judge's decision is set to hike the share of the costs the seven are liable for.
The court had previously been told there was a shortfall between ANL's total costs and the claimant's insurance cover of a combined £16.2 million.
The summary also noted the court had set a timetable for the claimants to request permission to appeal the July 7 decision, which must be filed by October 2.
In a joint statement following the judge's ruling last month, Harry and campaigner Doreen Lawrence called it "a complete and obvious whitewash".
An ANL spokesperson called Friday's decision "another overwhelming victory for the Mail and its journalism".
"His judgment is a devastating critique of an attempt to destroy a newspaper and the reputations of its journalists, editors and executives," the statement added.
Simon Hughes, a former MP and another of the seven, said he was "disappointed and surprised" that ANL's recoverable costs had not been limited by the judge.
D.Sawyer--AMWN