-
EU automated border system suspended at Dover amid bank holiday chaos
-
F1 legend Alain Prost's Swiss home robbed: reports
-
De Zerbi demands 'blood and spirit' from Spurs on survival Sunday
-
Guardiola reveals Hart snub was biggest Man City regret
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'encouraging' meeting over dispute
-
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
-
Uganda confirms new Ebola cases, linked to DR Congo
-
Pope condemns environmental harm in Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
Auckland FC become first New Zealand team to win A-League title
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes prize
-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
A court in Portugal on Saturday remanded in custody a French woman and her partner accused of abandoning her two young boys -- aged four and five -- on a roadside in the south of the country.
The court in the port city of Setubal ordered the 41-year-old woman and the 55-year-old man to be placed in pretrial detention for the crimes of aggravated assault, endangerment and abandonment of the boys after a two-day hearing.
The case has drawn widespread attention in Portugal and France since the two small boys were found Tuesday evening crying beside a road near Alcacer do Sal, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) south of Lisbon.
They had been left with backpacks containing food and water but no identity documents, according to Portuguese media.
The couple was arrested Thursday by Portuguese authorities in the central town of Fatima and brought before an investigating judge Friday at the court in Setubal.
"They had a very distant attitude," a spokesman for Portugal's GNR police force, Carlos Canatario, told Portuguese television station SIC, adding the pair appeared "detached".
The couple was questioned for several hours at the court in a first session on Friday.
Upon their arrival at the court, the man, identified by authorities as Marc B., had twice shouted "I love you" in French, while the boy’s mother, identified as Marine R., hummed a melody.
Shortly after midnight Friday, as Marc B. was leaving the courthouse in a police van, he shouted "Portugal Armageddon" toward journalists gathered outside.
On Saturday morning, police officers ensured the pair remained inside the vehicle transporting them until it had fully entered the courthouse garage and the doors had closed.
The children have been placed with a French foster family in Lisbon pending their return to France.
- Boys blindfolded -
Portuguese authorities said the brothers had been living with their mother in Colmar, in eastern France, while their father had limited and supervised visitation rights.
French authorities had been searching for the mother and the children since May 11, when the father reported them missing.
France subsequently issued a European arrest warrant.
The mother of the motorist who found the children told Portuguese media that one of the boys said they had been blindfolded and told to look for a hidden toy.
When they took their blindfolds off, their mother and her car were gone.
Authorities said the couple appeared to have no known connection to Portugal.
The profiles of the two suspects have fuelled public interest in the case.
The woman described herself on social media as a sexologist specialising in body practices, developmental dynamics and trauma care.
Her partner is a former French gendarmerie officer who left the force in 2010 and has shared conspiracy-related and antisemitic content online, according to French media reports.
The case comes only months after another high-profile case involving a French national in Portugal.
Authorities accuse a French man, Cedric Prizzon, of killing his current and former partners in northern Portugal before fleeing with children he had with the two women.
Portuguese authorities have refused France’s request to extradite him, saying the alleged crimes were committed on Portuguese territory.
P.M.Smith--AMWN