-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Agronomics Limited Announces Net Asset Value Calculation as at 31 March 2026
-
Santa Barbara Schools Sexual Assault Complaint by Veen Firm
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - May 18
-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
European rights court upholds French ban on posthumous procreation
The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) on Thursday upheld France's ban on procreation using stored gametes or embryos originating from a person who has since died.
The judges considered the cases of two women born in 1992, who had sought to have frozen sperm or embryos from their deceased partners transferred to Spain, where posthumous procreation is legal.
One couple, who had been together for 11 years, had sperm frozen soon after the man was diagnosed with brain cancer.
But the woman was unable to conceive a baby through artificial insemination before her husband died in 2019.
She asked that the stored gametes be exported to Spain.
A second woman had already had two children with her husband, the second born through in-vitro fertilisation as the man began suffering from leukaemia.
They were able to store five embryos in 2018, with the woman asking that they be transferred to Spain the following year.
Both women appealed to the ECHR after French authorities refused to allow the transfers.
France's public health code bars posthumous procreation, as well as export of gametes or embryos for purposes illegal under French law.
But the women argued that the government was breaching their rights under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which guarantees respect for private and family life.
- 'A fair balance' -
The European judges found that "domestic authorities had struck a fair balance between the competing interests at stake" and that Paris was "within its discretion" to determine how to treat gametes and embryos.
"In making the contested requests, the applicants' sole aim had been to circumvent French law... they had not put forward any particular arguments that would have justified the law not being applied in their cases," the court said in a statement.
The judges did have one reservation, noting that since 2021 single women and lesbian couples have been able to have children through medically assisted reproduction.
This "reopened the debate as to the relevance of the justification for maintaining the prohibition" on posthumous procreation, they said.
"The Court reiterated that, while (member) states enjoyed a wide discretion in the bioethical sphere, the legislative framework put in place by them had to be coherent," the statement read.
Elsewhere in Europe, Portuguese woman Angela Ferreira last month gave birth to a baby born from the frozen sperm of her dead husband, after her campaigning got a similar ban overturned in 2021.
A.Mahlangu--AMWN