-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
Great Barrier Reef risks 'in danger' World Heritage listing
Australia's Great Barrier Reef should be added to a list of "in danger" World Heritage sites, according to UN experts who have warned the fading wonder has been "significantly impacted" by climate change.
A UNESCO-tasked report on Monday said that warming seas and agricultural pollution had put the reef at risk, and that its resilience had been "substantially compromised".
The Great Barrier Reef is one of Australia's premier tourist drawcards, and putting it on the in-danger list could substantially tarnish its international allure.
After intense lobbying, Australia's previous conservative government managed to keep the reef off the list in the summer of 2021.
The Australian Marine Conservation Society said the reef supported 60,000 jobs and generated Aus$6 billion ($4 billion) in revenue every year.
Australia's Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek conceded the reef was under threat, but said putting it on UNESCO's "World Heritage in Danger" list would be a step too far.
"We'll clearly make the point to UNESCO that there is no need to single the Great Barrier Reef out in this way," she told reporters.
"If this World Heritage Site is in danger, then most World Heritage Sites around the world are in danger from climate change."
World Wildlife Fund spokesman Richard Leck said the UNESCO recommendations should be accepted by the government.
"These UNESCO recommendations are a reminder it is our choice to give the world's most iconic reef the best chance of survival."
The latest report, from experts at the International Union for Conservation of Nature and UNESCO, acknowledged Australia's commitment to protecting the reef.
But it found that despite the "unparalleled science and management efforts", the reef still faced "considerable pressures" linked to climate change and pollution from agricultural runoff.
Australia reported in May that 91 percent of the reef's coral had been damaged by bleaching after a prolonged summer heatwave.
It was the first time on record the reef had suffered bleaching during a La Nina weather cycle, when cooler ocean temperatures would normally be expected.
Conservative prime minister Scott Morrison was voted out earlier this year in favour of a centre-left government promising greener policies and greater climate action.
A UNESCO spokesperson told AFP that "a constructive dialogue is ongoing with the current government".
To be included on UNESCO's world heritage list, a site must have "outstanding universal value".
A spot on the list usually means boosted tourism, and improved access to funds and scientific expertise.
Only three sites have ever been dropped from the heritage list completely.
burs-sft/arb/lb
A.Jones--AMWN