-
Trump, once unstoppable, hits snag after snag ahead of major US address
-
Virus kills dozens of tigers in Thailand park
-
Timberwolves ace Edwards sends Mavericks to worst slump in decades
-
Tomb more than 1,000 years old found in Panama
-
France's Galthie lauds 'success story' Italy ahead of Six Nations clash
-
Brumbies confident of snapping 26-year Christchurch drought
-
Penge and Bridgeman share Riviera lead with McIlroy in hot pursuit
-
Australia blow as goalkeeper Micah ruled out of Women's Asian Cup
-
Brazil, India eye critical minerals deal as leaders meet
-
Political drama overshadows Berlin Film Festival finale
-
Battered by Gaza war, Israel's tech sector in recovery mode
-
Hurricanes rue injury to Super Rugby playmaker Cameron
-
Wallabies winger Jorgensen turns on magic for NSW Waratahs
-
Trump imposes 10% global tariff after stinging court rebuke
-
Floyd Mayweather to come out of retirement
-
Xbox boss Phil Spencer retires as Microsoft shakes up gaming unit
-
158 giant tortoises reintroduced to a Galapagos island
-
What's next after US Supreme Court tariff ruling?
-
Canada and USA to meet in ice hockey gold medal showdown at Winter Olympics
-
Jake Paul requires second jaw surgery after Joshua knockout
-
'Boldly headbang': Star Trek's Shatner, 94, unveils metal album
-
Marseille lose first Ligue 1 game of Beye era
-
Police battle opposition protesters in Albanian capital
-
Austria snowstorm leaves five dead, road and power chaos
-
Trump unleashes personal assault on 'disloyal' Supreme Court justices
-
'Not the end': Small US firms wary but hopeful on tariff upheaval
-
US freestyle skier Ferreira wins Olympic halfpipe gold
-
Svitolina edges Gauff to set up Pegula final in Dubai
-
'Proud' Alcaraz digs deep to topple Rublev and reach Qatar final
-
UK govt considers removing ex-prince Andrew from line of succession
-
New study probes why chronic pain lasts longer in women
-
Trump vows 10% global tariff after stinging court rebuke
-
Aston Martin in disarray as Leclerc tops F1 testing timesheets
-
Venus Williams accepts Indian Wells wild card
-
Anxious Venezuelans seek clarity on new amnesty law
-
Last-gasp Canada edge Finland to reach Olympic men's ice hockey final
-
Scotland captain Tuipulotu grateful for Wales boss Tandy's influence
-
Zelensky says no 'family day' in rare personal interview to AFP
-
Zelensky tells AFP that Ukraine is not losing the war
-
Sweden to play Switzerland in Olympic women's curling final
-
Counting the cost: Minnesota reels after anti-migrant 'occupation'
-
UK police probe Andrew's protection as royals reel from ex-prince's arrest
-
Doris says Ireland must pile pressure on England rising star Pollock
-
US military assets in the Middle East
-
Neymar hints at possible retirement after World Cup
-
Stocks rise after court ruling against US tariffs
-
Australia end dismal T20 World Cup by thrashing Oman
-
Olympics chief says Milan-Cortina has set new path for Games
-
Russian SVR spy agency took over Wagner 'influence' ops in Africa: report
-
Pegula fights back to sink Anisimova and reach Dubai final
Campaigners lose legal challenge against new UK coal mine
Environmental campaigners have been blocked from bringing a legal challenge to a UK government approval for a new coal mine in northwest England, they said on Wednesday.
Friends of the Earth and a local pressure group, who brought the action after permission was granted to open the pit in Cumbria last year, said they will contest the ruling.
The groups accuse the government of failing to account for the climate impacts of the coking coal mine, set to open in the town of Whitehaven, on the edge of the Lake District national park.
A ruling by the High Court in London stated that the "application for permission to apply for planning statutory review is refused".
"We still believe that giving the go ahead to the Whitehaven coalmine was unlawful and we will be asking the court to reconsider its decision", said Friends of the Earth campaigner Tony Bosworth.
Senior cabinet minister Michael Gove gave the green light to open the country's first new mine in decades last December, which is meant to be a supposedly "greener" source of coking coal, as it would substitute emissions arising from imports.
The court decision accepted Gove's position based on expert evidence that the plan would have a "broadly neutral effect" with regards to its carbon emissions.
The South Lakes Action on Climate Change (SLACC) argued that the mine would result in a net increase in emissions "at a time when emission reductions are paramount".
It contended that the mine would also undermine the UK's claim to be a global leader on climate change.
The UK has pledged to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, but the Cumbria mine -- and other plans to allow new North Sea oil and gas exploration -- have angered environmental groups.
"We and our legal team are firmly of the view that there are legal errors in the government's decision to permit the mine," said SLACC chair Carole Wood.
"The government sought to turn a blind eye to the climate impacts from burning the coal that will be produced by the mine, and we look forward to a hearing to consider whether this approach can be lawful."
The government said it would be inappropriate to comment on the case "given ongoing legal proceedings".
P.Silva--AMWN