-
German broadcaster recalls correspondent over AI-generated images
-
US Supreme Court strikes down swath of Trump global tariffs
-
England's Itoje says managing 'emotional turmoil' key to 100 cap landmark
-
Trump says weighing strike on Iran as Tehran says draft deal coming soon
-
Tudor is '100 percent' certain of saving Spurs from relegation
-
Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson
-
Stocks volatile after soft US growth data, court ruling against tariffs
-
Italy bring back Capuozzo for France Six Nations trip
-
From Malinin's collapse to Liu's triumph: Top Olympic figure skating moments
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'write own destiny' after title wobble
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott opening ceremony over Russian flag decision
-
Wales captain Lake wants fans to bring 'noise' against Scotland
-
Skier Vonn's Italian hospital a hotbed of men, sister says
-
India target S.Africa top order, Abhishek to come good: bowling coach
-
Carrick praises Man Utd 'diversity' after Ratcliffe's immigrant rant
-
I never thought it would be hit, says 'Scream' creator 30 years later
-
AI summit statement delayed to 'maximise' signatories: India
-
Barcelona's Sagrada Familia basilica hits peak height
-
Milan sprints to second straight UAE stage win as Tiberi keeps lead
-
US GDP growth misses expectations as Trump blames shutdown
-
Benfica investigate video of fans' monkey gestures
-
French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist
-
Guardiola 'couldn't care less' about Arsenal stumble in title race
-
UK police search property as royals reel from Andrew's arrest
-
Germany's Merz to visit China next week
-
Kompany says Mourinho made 'huge mistake' in Vinicius racism row
-
X appeals EU's 120-mn-euro fine over digital content violations
-
Galthie recalls hulking locks Flament, Meafou for Italy
-
Turkey, Saudi sign major solar power deal
-
US Olympic freeskier Hess embraces 'loser' tag after Trump blast
-
European stocks rebound, oil prices ease after US-Iran volatility
-
'Alpha male' AI world shuts out women: computing prof Hall
-
New Zealand freestyle skier Ives in hard Olympic crash
-
New Zealand must adapt quickly to Sri Lanka wickets: Chapman
-
Thai activist's jail term for royal insult extended to 30 years
-
Families of Duterte's drug war victims eye Hague hearing with hope
-
India chases 'DeepSeek moment' with homegrown AI
-
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI at global summit
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott Opening Ceremony over Russian flag decision: statement
-
UK monarchy reels from Andrew's stunning arrest
-
Somaliland, where Muslims love Israel
-
Florida airport to be renamed after US President Donald Trump
-
Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch
-
Stocks mixed, oil rises after Trump Iran threat
-
Outspoken Laos lawmaker's election exit sparks rare dissent
-
Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress
-
Shepherd hat-trick to Samra ton: Five top T20 World Cup performances so far
-
Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia
-
Victorious Takaichi promises 'strong and prosperous' Japan
-
Ex-South Korea leader apologises for martial law crisis
Deep sea mining impacts visible for 'many decades'
Scientists said they have seen the first signs of life returning to deep sea mining tracks carved into the abyssal seabed more than four decades ago, but warned on Wednesday that full recovery may be "impossible".
The new research, published in the journal Nature, comes as countries argue over the creation of the world's first mining code on deep sea extraction at a meeting of the International Seabed Authority (ISA) in Kingston, Jamaica.
Scientists and campaigners have long insisted that future industrial-level mining will threaten marine ecosystems.
Risks range from species extinctions and damage to the ocean food web, to the potential for exacerbating climate change by churning up sediment that stores planet-heating carbon.
In the latest research, scientists in Britain assessed the lasting impact of one of the oldest known mining tracks in the vast Clarion-Clipperton Zone (CCZ), stretching between Hawaii and Mexico in international waters.
At depths of more than 4,000 metres (13,000 feet), the seabed here is scattered with metal rich rocks known as "nodules" and is home to a huge number of strange and rare animals almost entirely unknown to science.
A 1979 test in the CCZ left a wide strip of seabed cleared of nodules and framed by deep tracks eight metres (26 foot) apart made by the mining machine.
In 2023, scientists surveyed the site and found these marks in the seafloor remained clearly visible.
"The numbers of many animals were reduced within the tracks but we did see some of the first signs of biological recovery," said lead author Daniel Jones of the National Oceanography Centre.
While small and more mobile creatures were seen within the mining area, larger-sized animals that are fixed to the seafloor were still "very rare", he said.
The sediment plumes kicked up by the machines where not found to have had a lasting impact, according to the research.
The authors said that while more modern equipment could be designed to limit the impact on ocean wildlife, the likely scale of any mining operations if they went ahead meant "visible physical impacts of the collection can be assumed to last for at least many decades".
They added that a full return of life in affected regions "may be impossible" with the removal of the nodules, which are themselves a habitat for marine animals.
- Spies to smartphones -
The research marks "the longest term assessment of a deep sea mining track", Jones told reporters earlier this month.
Jones trawled the archives to pinpoint the location of the 1979 test, which was carried out following a CIA plot to recover a Russian nuclear submarine -- using deep-sea mining as a cover story.
The CIA then leased their ship for real deep-sea mining, according to Jones.
He said the 1979 test, carried out by private firms, was to see if harvesting the nodules was technically feasible and was "much smaller than a true mining event would look like".
After that, interest and funding fizzled out.
But recent years have seen renewed interest in exploiting the potato-sized nodules, which are thought to have formed over millions of years and contain metals like cobalt and nickel, which are used in technologies such as smartphones and rechargeable batteries.
There are estimated to be around 21 billion tonnes of nodules on the seabed of the CCZ.
"Our results don't provide an answer to whether deep-sea mining is societally acceptable, but they do provide the data needed to make better informed policy decisions," said co-author Adrian Glover from Britain's Natural History Museum.
He added that it could help in creating protected areas and inform monitoring efforts.
P.M.Smith--AMWN