-
Townsend expects recalled Scotland duo to shine in Six Nations clash with Wales
-
Peru's new president under fire for child sex comments
-
UK king opens London fashion week despite brother's arrest
-
Belarus frees opposition politician Statkevich
-
Striking Argentine workers slow down Buenos Aires in protest over labor reforms
-
Starlink loss a blow to Russian forces in Ukraine: experts
-
UN's Sudan probe finds 'hallmarks of genocide' in El-Fasher
-
Belarus frees opposition politician Statkevich: wife
-
Rocket re-entry pollution measured in atmosphere for first time
-
Airbus ready to build two new European fighters if countries want
-
Canada makes push to attract skilled migrants, including for defence
-
US threatens to leave IEA if net zero focus remains
-
Walmart outlines big AI ambitions as it reports mixed results
-
Trump kicks off his 'Board of Peace,' as war clouds loom on Iran
-
UK pubs to stay open late if home nations reach World Cup knockouts
-
TotalEnergies in high-stakes French trial over climate change
-
Bosnia probes fascist salutes at Croatian singer's concert
-
US and Israel issue dire warnings to Iran alongside US military buildup
-
British public cheer Andrew's arrest with a smile and relief
-
Argentine workers go on strike to protest Milei's labor reforms
-
Nakai targets Olympic skating upset as 'skimo' makes debut
-
What we know about ex-prince Andrew's friendship with Epstein
-
US trade deficit in goods widens to new record in 2025
-
Oil extends gains on US-Iran tensions, stocks retreat
-
Williams 'on the back foot' after missing Barcelona: Albon
-
Real Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism probe
-
Olympics rev up Milan's renewal but locals fear price to pay
-
Cardona Coll, Fatton win Olympic-debuting ski mountaineering sprint golds
-
MSF will keep operating in Gaza 'as long as we can': mission head
-
Russian Filippov wins first medal at Milan-Cortina Games for individual neutral athletes
-
Italian Milan takes sprint honours at UAE Tour
-
Dozens killed in jihadist attacks in northwest Nigeria
-
Zimbabwe unbeaten in T20 World Cup after six-wicket Sri Lanka win
-
Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a 'bad decision'
-
Switzerland's Fatton wins women's ski mountaineering sprint on Olympic debut
-
Kinghorn, Van der Merwe return for Scotland against Six Nations strugglers Wales
-
Repsol says could boost Venezuela oil output over 50% in 12 months
-
UN says Israeli actions raise 'ethnic cleansing' fears in West Bank, Gaza
-
Arteta tells faltering leaders Arsenal to harness Wolves 'pain' against Spurs
-
Crowley gets nod for Irish as Prendergast drops out
-
Unbeaten Swiss to meet Great Britain in Olympic men's curling semis
-
UK police arrest ex-prince Andrew on suspicion of misconduct
-
Oil extends gains on US-Iran tensions, Europe stocks slide
-
Former prince Andrew, a historic downfall
-
Sri Lanka post 178-7 against Zimbabwe ahead of T20 Super Eights
-
OpenAI's Altman tells leaders regulation 'urgently' needed
-
US renews threat to leave IEA
-
Liverpool boss Slot says Isak in 'final stages of rehab'
-
Airbus ready to build two new European fighter jets if 'customers' ask
-
UN Sudan probe finds 'hallmarks of genocide' in El-Fasher
Human remains found buried at Amazon missing search site: minister
Human remains were found buried at a site in the Brazilian Amazon during a search for a missing British journalist and an Indigenous expert, a minister said Wednesday.
Earlier in the day, a suspect in the case was taken by police to the search site along the Itaquai River, media reports said.
Dom Phillips and his guide Bruno Pereira went missing June 5 in a remote part of the Amazon that is rife with environmental crimes including illegal mining, fishing and logging, as well as drug trafficking.
"I was just informed that human remains were found in the place where digging was taking place," Justice Minister Anderson Torres said on Twitter ahead of a press conference announced by police to give an update on the case.
Torres' comment came after media reports said two detainees in the case told police that the missing men had been killed and confessed to involvement. Authorities have not confirmed these reports.
The suspect taken to the digging spot has been identified as 41-year-old Oseney da Costa Oliveira.
He was arrested Tuesday in Atalaia do Norte, the small northern city that Phillips and Pereira were returning to when they disappeared in the remote Javari Valley after receiving threats during a reporting trip.
A man reported to be Oliveira's brother, Amarildo da Costa de Oliveira, was arrested on June 7.
Phillips, 57, a long-time contributor to Britain's The Guardian and other leading international newspapers, was working on a book on sustainable development in the Amazon.
Pereira, highly regarded advocate for the region's Indigenous peoples, was acting as his guide.
- Briton 'disliked' -
President Jair Bolsonaro had said Monday that entrails were found in the water during search operations, but police never confirmed this.
The day before, police said they had found personal effects belonging to the two missing men.
Bolsonaro -- whose government has been accused of dragging its feet in the investigation -- drew fresh criticism Wednesday for saying a Phillips was "disliked" for his reporting on the region and should have been more careful.
"That Englishman was disliked in the region, because he wrote a lot of articles against illegal gold miners (and) environmental issues," Bolsonaro said.
"A lot of people didn't like him. He should have more than redoubled the precautions he was taking. And he decided to go on an excursion instead," he told journalist Leda Nagle in an interview for her YouTube channel.
"All signs indicate that if they were killed -- and I hope that's not the case -- they're in the water, and in the water there won't be much left. I don't know if there are piranhas in the Javari," Bolsonaro added.
He again appeared to blame the missing men, saying it was "very reckless to travel in that region without being sufficiently prepared, physically and with weapons."
His comments triggered an outcry from critics.
"How disgusting," journalist Ana Luiza Basilio wrote on Twitter.
Opposition lawmaker Orlando Silva agreed, tweeting: "The victims are not the ones to blame."
"The government has an obligation to protect the country and not incentivize the criminals controlling the region."
P.Stevenson--AMWN