-
FIFA to lead $75m Palestinian soccer rebuilding fund
-
Chicago Bears take key step in proposed Indiana stadium move
-
Liu captures Olympic figure skating gold as US seal hockey glory
-
North Korea opens key party congress
-
Los Angeles sues Roblox over child exploitation claim
-
Golden Liu puts US women back on top of Olympic women's figure skating
-
Hodgkinson sets women's 800m world indoor record
-
USA's Alysa Liu wins Olympic women's figure skating gold
-
Man Utd cruise into Women's Champions League quarters
-
Gu reaches Olympic halfpipe final after horror crash mars qualifiers
-
Keller overtime strike gives USA Olympic women's ice hockey gold
-
NASA delivers harsh assessment of botched Boeing Starliner test flight
-
US Fed Governor Miran scales back call for rate cuts this year
-
Gu qualifies for Olympic halfpipe final marred by horror crash
-
Trump issues Iran with ultimatum as US ramps up military presence
-
Peru's brand-new president under fire for child sex comments
-
UK police hold ex-prince Andrew for hours in unprecedented blow
-
Former Olympic freeski halfpipe champion Sharpe crashes heavily
-
Former Olympic champion Sharpe suffers heavy halfpipe crash
-
Belarus says US failed to issue visas for 'Board of Peace' meeting
-
Forest boss Pereira makes perfect start with Fenerbahce rout in Europa play-offs
-
Alcaraz fights back to book last four berth in Qatar
-
England captain Itoje warns of 'corrosive' social media after abuse of Ireland's Edogbo
-
War-weary Sudanese celebrate as Ramadan returns to Khartoum
-
Townsend expects recalled Scotland duo to shine in Six Nations clash with Wales
-
Peru's new president under fire for child sex comments
-
UK king opens London fashion week despite brother's arrest
-
Belarus frees opposition politician Statkevich
-
Striking Argentine workers slow down Buenos Aires in protest over labor reforms
-
Starlink loss a blow to Russian forces in Ukraine: experts
-
UN's Sudan probe finds 'hallmarks of genocide' in El-Fasher
-
Belarus frees opposition politician Statkevich: wife
-
Rocket re-entry pollution measured in atmosphere for first time
-
Airbus ready to build two new European fighters if countries want
-
Canada makes push to attract skilled migrants, including for defence
-
US threatens to leave IEA if net zero focus remains
-
Walmart outlines big AI ambitions as it reports mixed results
-
Trump kicks off his 'Board of Peace,' as war clouds loom on Iran
-
UK pubs to stay open late if home nations reach World Cup knockouts
-
TotalEnergies in high-stakes French trial over climate change
-
Bosnia probes fascist salutes at Croatian singer's concert
-
US and Israel issue dire warnings to Iran alongside US military buildup
-
British public cheer Andrew's arrest with a smile and relief
-
Argentine workers go on strike to protest Milei's labor reforms
-
Nakai targets Olympic skating upset as 'skimo' makes debut
-
What we know about ex-prince Andrew's friendship with Epstein
-
US trade deficit in goods widens to new record in 2025
-
Oil extends gains on US-Iran tensions, stocks retreat
-
Williams 'on the back foot' after missing Barcelona: Albon
-
Real Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism probe
Judge orders trial in murder of Honduran conservationist
A judge in Honduras ordered three men to stand trial for the murder last year of an enviromental activist who opposed the digging of a strip mine in a nature reserve.
Activist Juan Lopez, who was also a local lawmaker, was shot on the night of September 14 as he left a church in the northeastern town of Tocoa. The killing drew international condemnation from the United Nations and Pope Francis.
A special court section ordered Tuesday a trial for three defendants named Oscar Alexis Guardado, Daniel Juarez and Lenis Adonis Cruz on charges of murder and racketeering, the justice ministry said in a statement.
It said that in the trial, prosecutors hope to find out who the masterminds of the killing were. The three defendants are accused of actually killing Lopez.
Lopez advocated the closing of an iron ore strip mine operation in the Botaderos forest reserve, alleging it polluted the environment.
Days before he died, Lopez, 46, had called for the resignation of Tocoa's mayor, who was seen allegedly negotiating bribes with drug traffickers in a video tape in 2013.
The mayor, Adan Funez, insisted he had nothing to do with the death of Lopez, for whom the Inter-American Human Rights Commission had ordered special protective measures in 2023.
In an interview with AFP in 2021, Lopez discussed the risks he said environmental activists face in the poverty- and violence-stricken Central American country.
"If you start defending common interests in this country," he said, "you clash with major interests."
"If you leave home, you always have in mind that you do not know what might happen, if you are going to return," said Lopez.
According to the human rights group Global Witness, Honduras is one of the world's most dangerous countries for environmental activists.
A well-known Honduran activist named Berta Caceres was killed in 2016.
Ch.Havering--AMWN