-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
Over 1 million evacuate as deadly Super Typhoon Fung-wong nears Philippines
More than a million people have been evacuated and at least two people killed as floodwaters rose in the Philippines on Sunday before Super Typhoon Fung-wong's expected landfall on the east coast.
The storm, which comes just days after another typhoon ravaged the country, will slam into Aurora province between 8:00 pm and 11:00 pm (1200 and 1500 GMT), state weather forecaster Charmagne Varilla told AFP.
With a radius spanning nearly the whole of the Philippines, Fung-wong is expected to bring wind and heavy rain to swathes of the archipelago nation, which last week saw more than 220 people killed by Typhoon Kalmaegi.
On Sunday, one of the already storm-stricken provinces in the central Philippines recorded the first known death from Fung-wong.
Rescuer Juniel Tagarino in Catbalogan City told AFP the body of a 64-year-old woman attempting to evacuate had been pulled from under debris and fallen trees.
"Last night, the wind was so strong and the rain was heavy... According to her family members, she might have forgotten something and went back inside her house," Tagarino said, adding her relatives were just 50 metres (55 yards) away when they realised she was missing.
A second death, a person who drowned in a flash flood on Catanduanes island, was confirmed shortly thereafter by the civil defence office.
In Aurora, where the eye of the storm is expected to make landfall, government worker Aries Ora was boarding up his home in Dipaculao town with steel sheets and wooden boards.
"What really scares us is that the expected landfall is at night," the 34-year-old told AFP.
"Unlike previous typhoons, we won't be able to clearly see the movement of the wind and what's happening around us."
Further north, in Cagayan province, the occupants of an evacuation centre told AFP that fear of flooding had convinced them to leave their homes.
"We often suffer flooding in our home, so when we were told to evacuate, we evacuated, because we would be trapped," said Loretta Salquina.
"The typhoon might blow away our roofs... We're safer here."
Schools and government offices have been ordered closed on Monday across the main island of Luzon, including the capital Manila where nearly 300 flights have been cancelled.
- 'The ground was shaking' -
Earlier Sunday, Catanduanes was already being lashed by wind and rain, with storm surges sending waves hurtling over streets and floodwaters rising in some areas.
"As we speak, they are feeling the impact of the typhoon, especially in Catanduanes, because the storm's eye is closest there," civil defence deputy administrator Rafaelito Alejandro said at a news briefing.
"The waves started roaring around 7:00 am. When the waves hit the seawall, it felt like the ground was shaking," Edson Casarino, 33, a resident of Catanduanes' Virac town, told AFP.
Video verified by AFP showed a church in the town surrounded by floodwaters that reached halfway up its entrance.
Flooding was also reported in southern Luzon's Bicol region, according to Alejandro, who later confirmed the preemptive evacuation of nearly 1.2 million people nationwide.
In Guinobatan, a town of about 80,000 in the region's Albay province, verified video showed streets transformed into a raging torrent of floodwaters.
Typhoon Fung-wong is expected to bring at least 200 millimetres (eight inches) of rain to many parts of the country, according to government meteorologists.
Scientists warn that storms are becoming more powerful due to human-driven climate change. Warmer oceans allow typhoons to strengthen rapidly, and a warmer atmosphere holds more moisture, meaning heavier rainfall.
- 'Strapping down the roofs' -
On Saturday, Catanduanes rushed to prepare for the onslaught, with residents tying down their houses with ropes and putting weights on their roofs.
"They decided to do our tradition of strapping down the roofs with big ropes and anchoring them on the ground, so they won't be blown away by the wind," provincial rescue official Roberto Monterola told AFP.
In Sorsogon, a city in southern Luzon, some sought refuge in a church.
Only days earlier, Typhoon Kalmaegi sent floodwaters rushing through the towns and cities of Cebu and Negros islands, killing at least 224 people and leaving 109 missing, according to government figures updated Sunday morning.
Search and rescue efforts in Cebu were suspended on Saturday due to safety concerns over the approaching super typhoon.
P.Santos--AMWN