-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
-
Sinner says returning to Roland Garros 'special feeling' after 2025 final
-
Castro backers rally in front of US embassy in Havana
Highest storm alert lifted in Spain, one woman missing
Spain on Thursday lifted its highest weather alert for torrential rain in the southern region of Andalusia, where a woman went missing, a day after the storm killed one in Portugal.
Storm Leonardo dumped more than 40 centimetres (15 inches) of rain in some Andalusian districts on Wednesday, the equivalent of several months of precipitation, forcing the evacuation of thousands, paralysing rail and road transport and shutting schools.
The downpours came after a storm killed five people, injured hundreds and left tens of thousands without power in neighbouring Portugal last week.
Scientists say human-driven climate change is increasing the length, intensity and frequency of extreme weather events such as the floods and heatwaves that have struck the Iberian Peninsula in recent years.
Spain's Civil Guard told AFP they were searching for a woman who had fallen into the Turvilla river in the municipality of Sayalonga on Wednesday.
National weather agency AEMET lowered its warning level to orange and yellow for Andalusia, saying it would rain "less intensely, although it will accumulate in already saturated areas".
Classes resumed in most of Andalusia but remained suspended in the hardest-hit areas, with several roads and railways still out of service.
"It's unheard of, with a little uncertainty, but whether we like it or not, Mother Nature has to find her place," Mohamed Amar Mohamed told AFP in the village of Jimera de Libar on Wednesday.
"All we can do is try to adapt and hope for the best," said the 34-year-old construction worker.
- Portugal struck again -
In neighbouring Portugal, weather agency IPMA predicted the "continuation of very unstable conditions", after reporting that last month was the country's second-wettest January since 2000.
Attention was focused on Alcacer do Sal, south of Lisbon, where the Sado river had burst its banks and submerged the town centre.
Specialised divers from the fire brigade assisted residents on inflatable boats, AFP journalists saw.
The Civil Protection authority told AFP that 89 people had been evacuated since Wednesday with no injuries. Schools in the region will remain closed on Thursday and Friday, affecting around 1,000 pupils.
Train services were suspended in the north and centre. In Lisbon, municipal authorities shut parks and tunnels and suspended several river transport connections faced with the risk of floods and falling trees.
A man in his 60s died in the southeast on Wednesday after being swept away by the current while attempting to drive across a flooded area.
burs-imm/phz
F.Dubois--AMWN