-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
-
Sinner says returning to Roland Garros 'special feeling' after 2025 final
-
Castro backers rally in front of US embassy in Havana
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning
Permits revoked, lawsuits filed, the threat of state takeovers. Deadly flooding in Indonesia has prompted unprecedented government action against companies accused of environmental destruction that worsened the disaster.
But environmentalists who have long warned about the risks of rampant deforestation fear the current response will not solve the problem, and could even make it worse.
Officials from President Prabowo Subianto down have acknowledged the role of deforestation and overdevelopment in last year's flooding and landslides, which killed over 1,000 people in Sumatra.
Mining, plantations, and fires have caused the clearance of large tracts of lush Indonesian rainforest, removing trees that absorbed rain and helped stabilise soil.
Now, Indonesia is prioritising "protecting the environment, protecting nature", Prabowo told attendees at this year's World Economic Forum.
Several dozen companies have had their permits revoked, and the government will reportedly hand management of around a million hectares of land to a state enterprise.
Initially, the government said that would include the Martabe gold mine, which conservationists have regularly accused of environmental damage.
More recently, officials said they were still reviewing potential violations by the site.
But there has been no suggestion of halting development in the worst-affected and most ecologically sensitive areas, like Batang Toru, where Martabe is located.
- World's rarest great ape -
The area is home to the world's rarest great ape, the tapanuli orangutan, just 800 of which were believed to exist in the wild before the disaster.
"Revoking permits is not immediately a win," said Panut Hadisiswoyo, a conservationist and orangutan specialist.
"The idea of revoking should be to stop the devastation, but by continuing these operations, this means industry will continue in this vulnerable area."
Conservationists have lobbied for a moratorium on development in Batang Toru, where tapanuli orangutans suffered first habitat loss and then the flood disaster.
Using satellite data and information on the pre-existing tapanuli orangutan population, experts have calculated nearly 60 animals may have been killed in what they called an "extinction-level event" for the species.
Between 2001 and 2024, Sumatra lost 4.4 million hectares of forest, an area larger than Switzerland, "making the hilly forest landscapes more vulnerable to landslides and flooding", said Amanda Hurowitz, senior director at conservation group Mighty Earth.
Much of that deforestation happened in areas with government permits, and it is not clear that transferring operations to the state will improve matters.
"It's a concern that the state-backed takeover may not guarantee better environmental practices, and that production may be prioritised over conservation," Hurowitz told AFP.
"We have yet to see any plans."
- 'Blessing in disguise' -
Indonesia's environment and forestry ministries did not respond to AFP's request for comment.
Other experts have warned that revoking permits and seizing operations has disrupted plans to audit and investigate companies and determine their precise responsibility for the disaster.
And so far, the government has not outlined plans for forest recovery and environmental remediation, said Timer Manurung, executive director of Indonesian environmental group Auriga Nusantara.
"It's not only revocation but it also has to include remediation, taking responsibility for the destruction," he told AFP.
The government's lawsuits are seeking close to $300 million from six companies, some of which will be set aside for environmental recovery.
But much more money would be needed for real remediation, and other companies are likely to be culpable too, experts said.
And there is no sign yet that other projects linked to large-scale deforestation, including a food and energy plantation plan in South Papua, will be halted in this drive.
The one saving grace, said Timer, has been the public's "very significant rising awareness" of deforestation in Indonesia since the disaster.
That has been "a blessing in disguise".
X.Karnes--AMWN