-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
Fiji rejects Australian billionaire's 'Pacific ashtray' plan to ship, burn waste
Fiji's environment ministry on Thursday rejected a plan by an Australian billionaire to burn rubbish for energy in the South Pacific nation, after a backlash from traditional landowners and tourism operators.
The plan to ship non-recyclable rubbish from across the region to Fiji, popular with tourists for its pristine beaches, and build an incinerator to consume 900,000 tonnes of waste a year, had been labelled "waste colonialism" by villagers.
Fiji's ambassador to the UN, Filipo Tarakinikini, wrote on social media in April that the Vuda coast north of Nadi "must not become the Pacific's ashtray".
Fiji's environment ministry said on Thursday it had rejected The Next Generation Holdings (TNG) proposal for the energy-from-waste plant and a private port, because of issues surrounding the scale of the project, imported waste, hazardous ash management and public health risks.
Questions over the impact on tourism and the environment, and the economic case for the project were also unresolved in material submitted by the company, the ministry said.
"This is not a decision against investment or against new waste solutions," Fiji's secretary for the environment, Sivendra Michael, said in a statement.
"The department was not satisfied that the potential impacts and risks of the project could be adequately assessed or managed," he added.
The fashion entrepreneur behind the Paris-born Kookai label and an Australian billionaire who made his fortune in rubbish disposal had earlier claimed government support for the waste incinerator, which was to be built within 15km (9 miles) of Fiji's tourism gateway Nadi.
The Australian-based duo of Ian Malouf and Rob Cromb had told Fiji's government the project could meet 40 percent of the small country's electricity needs, cutting its reliance on diesel.
However, an environmental impact statement lodged showed it would also raise Fiji's national emissions by 25 percent.
Residents said the emissions would spoil Fiji's eco-tourism reputation and pose a safety risk with hotels and schools nearby.
"Dial-a-Dump" founder Malouf spent seven years trying to get a similar waste-to-energy incinerator approved in Sydney before it was rejected as a risk to human health in 2018.
Cromb, owner of the Paris fashion label Kookai, manufactures clothes in Fiji.
TNG had no immediate comment on the decision.
P.Santos--AMWN