-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Trump announces $700 mn support for US coal projects
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced he was using Cold War era legislation to tap $700 million in funding for a slew of coal projects, his latest push to increase use of the most-polluting fossil fuel.
Trump said the funds would be used to keep more than a dozen coal plants in ten states and 42 mines open, as well as to build two new coal plants and an export terminal.
The Republican said the funds would be tapped using the Defense Production Act, which was enacted in 1950 and gives the US president emergency power over domestic industries.
"Today, we're taking historic action to bring down the price of energy and the cost of living for all Americans, with the power of clean, beautiful coal," said Trump.
Trump frequently calls human-induced climate change "a hoax" and has worked since returning to power last year to wipe out a number of environmental regulations, many of which limited fossil fuel use.
Coal is the fuel that emits the highest levels of greenhouse gases, contributing to climate change.
Trump said the new initiative involved redirecting $200 million from climate change projects towards a coal plant in Maryland and two new plants in Alaska and West Virginia.
The new coal export terminal will be built in California with the capacity to handle 12 million tons of the fossil fuel, Trump said.
US Energy Secretary Chris Wright said coal was "a critical source of our electricity, also a critical source for our industry."
- New US coal policy -
The world built and commissioned more coal power in 2025, but used the polluting fuel less, with the United States the only major economy to substantially increase generation, analysis by the Global Energy Monitor shows.
In 2025, coal accounted for 17 percent of US power generation, according to EIA figures.
Thursday's announcement was Trump's latest effort to fortify the fossil fuel.
On February 11, Trump signed an executive order directing US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to enter into long-term supply contracts with US coal power plants.
In a photo op at the White House signing of that order, the president was feted as the "undisputed champion" of coal, surrounded by miners in hard hats.
The next day, Trump repealed a 2009 EPA "endangerment finding" underpinning US climate regulations. A coalition of environmental and health groups have challenged the action in court.
Global average temperatures are likely to continue at or near record levels this year and for the next four years afterwards, the United Nations warned last week.
UN climate chief Simon Stiell said the "main culprit" of warming temperatures was humanity's burning of coal, oil and gas, which is the primary driver of climate change.
G.Stevens--AMWN