-
Security forces swarm White House after shots fired
-
Usyk rocked but beats Verhoeven to retain heavyweight titles
-
Enhanced Games boss predicts multiple feats beyond world records
-
Kim's lead trimmed to two at PGA CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
Large police presence around White House after reports of shots fired: AFP
-
Ebola toll tops 200, other African countries seen at risk
-
Russell snatches pole in Canada with late lap to frustrate Antonelli
-
Romania's Mungiu wins top prize at glitzy Cannes finale
-
Iran move World Cup base from US to Mexico
-
Russell grabs pole for Mercedes 1-2 at Canadian GP
-
Trump says agreement with Iran 'largely negotiated,' includes opening strait
-
Bayern salute 'best transfer ever' Kane after 21st German Cup triumph
-
Real Madrid end troubled Liga season with win, Mallorca, Girona down
-
Quiet Chinese county hit by deadly coal mine disaster
-
Mungiu wins Cannes again with culture wars drama
-
'Fjord' by Romania's Cristian Mungiu wins Cannes best film prize
-
Persistence pays off for Barcelona Champions League final hero Pajor
-
Kane hat-trick seals double as Bayern claim 21st German Cup
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbia demanding elections
-
NASCAR driver Busch died of sepsis after pneumonia: family
-
Enhanced Games athletes under scrutiny as health fears swirl
-
Emotional Hull celebrate 'incredible' promotion to Premier League
-
Shreyas Iyer scores maiden IPL century as Punjab beat Lucknow
-
Pajor, Paralluelo star as Barcelona thrash Lyon to win Women's Champions League
-
Tens of thousands rally in Serbian capital demanding elections
-
Bru challenges Bordeaux-Begles to show 'true selves' in Top 14 after Champions Cup defence
-
Russell resists Antonelli in Canadian GP F1 sprint race
-
Defending Champions Cup title 'special' for Bordeaux's Tameifuna
-
Hull promoted to Premier League after McBurnie strikes late in play-off final
-
Buse outlasts Paul for Hamburg title to end Peruvian drought
-
Thousands gather in Serbian capital to call for elections
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storming to victory in 14th stage
-
American Tien warms up for Roland Garros with Geneva Open win
-
Fils pulls out of home Grand Slam with painful injury
-
Bielle-Biarrey, Lucu inspire Bordeaux-Begles past Leinster to Champions Cup defence
-
French court hands man 25-year term for torture, rape of ex-partner
-
China authorities report 82 dead in coal mine blast, serious violations
-
Navarro downs Mboko to win Strasbourg clay title
-
Vingegaard takes Giro lead after storrming to victory in 14th stage
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes film prize
-
England's Bethell leaves IPL after finger injury
-
Ukrainian strike on college in Russian-occupied town kills 18: officials
-
Five first-round matches to watch at French Open
-
Iran and US say could be close to talks breakthrough
-
France bans Israeli security minister Ben Gvir from country
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'positive' meeting over dispute
-
Dos Santos at the double, Jackson and Russell shine in Xiamen
-
Man Utd's Fernandes named Premier League Player of the Season
-
Iran chief negotiator vows 'crushing' response if US returns to war
-
EU automated border system suspended at Dover amid bank holiday chaos
Prison looms for Brazil's Bolsonaro after court rejects his appeal
Brazil's far-right former president Jair Bolsonaro is running out of options to avoid prison, after judges on Friday rejected his appeal against a 27-year sentence for a botched coup bid.
Bolsonaro lost the 2022 elections and was convicted in September for his efforts to prevent President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva from taking power after the polls.
Prosecutors said the scheme -- which included plans to assassinate Lula and a top Supreme Court judge -- failed only due to a lack of support from military top brass.
A panel of Supreme Court judges weighing Bolsonaro's appeal all voted to uphold the sentence last week. The result was not considered official until midnight on Friday.
A source at the court, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP that once the result of the hearing is published -- which could take place as early as Monday -- the defense will have five days to submit a new appeal.
However, this appeal can be "quickly" quashed by lead judge Alexandre de Moraes, who will then publish the final judgment.
"Generally, after the publication of the final judgment, the arrest warrant is issued on the same day" by the lead judge, and it is Moraes who will decide where the arrest happens, explained Thiago Bottino, a professor at the Getulio Vargas Foundation Law School.
The court source estimated that Bolsonaro could be sent to prison in the last week of November, according to court procedure timelines.
The 70-year-old former army captain, who maintains his innocence, has been under house arrest since August.
Because of health problems stemming from a stabbing attack in 2018, he could ask to serve his prison term at home.
- 'Ready to kill' -
The charges against Bolsonaro focused on his efforts to undermine the voting system to allege fraud if Lula won the election and later justify a military intervention.
Then there was the plot to assassinate Lula, his vice president Geraldo Alckmin, and Moraes, which prosecutors said Bolsonaro had approved.
"We were ready to kill a lot of people," a man suspected of being part of the planned hit squad, federal police agent Wladimir Soares, said in an audio message made public by the Supreme Court.
"We were only awaiting orders from the president, but he backed down," Soares added.
In rejecting the appeal, Moraes reaffirmed that there had been a deliberate coup attempt orchestrated under Bolsonaro's leadership, with ample proof of his involvement.
He underscored Bolsonaro's role in instigating a January 8 assault on buildings housing Brazil's congress and other democratic institutions, when rioting supporters demanded a military takeover to oust Lula.
Moraes ruled that the sentence of 27 years and three months was based on Bolsonaro's high culpability as president and the severity and impact of the crimes.
The judge said Bolsonaro's age had already been considered as a mitigating factor.
Three other judges on the panel also rejected the appeal.
Also on Friday, a majority of judges on the same panel voted to move forward with a criminal case against Bolsonaro's son, the federal lawmaker Eduardo Bolsonaro, for the crime of "coercion".
Eduardo Bolsonaro, who currently lives in the United States, was charged by Brazil's chief prosecutor in September for lobbying for US sanctions in a bid to sway the outcome of the coup trial against his father.
X.Karnes--AMWN