-
EU automated border system suspended at Dover amid bank holiday chaos
-
F1 legend Alain Prost's Swiss home robbed: reports
-
De Zerbi demands 'blood and spirit' from Spurs on survival Sunday
-
Guardiola reveals Hart snub was biggest Man City regret
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'encouraging' meeting over dispute
-
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
-
Uganda confirms new Ebola cases, linked to DR Congo
-
Pope condemns environmental harm in Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
Auckland FC become first New Zealand team to win A-League title
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes prize
-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
Inside Ukraine's efforts to revamp US plan to end war
A surprise US plan to end the nearly four-year war in Ukraine stunned Kyiv and Europe last week, as they viewed it as echoing Russia's demands.
Over the weekend, officials from the United States, Ukraine and Europe scrambled at emergency talks in Geneva to revise the 28-point blueprint.
Moscow, which in turn held talks with Washington in Abu Dhabi this week, described the ongoing negotiations as "serious".
Though the amended plan has not been disclosed, it no longer includes Moscow's maximalist demands, which Ukraine saw as a capitulation, according to sources familiar with the talks who spoke to AFP in Kyiv.
But it has yet to offer a solution for the key diplomatic stumbling block of the occupied Ukrainian territories.
Here is what we know about the revised plan so far:
- Territories and security -
The new version of the plan, shortened to around 20 points from the initial 28, does not settle the status of the Ukrainian territories in the east and south occupied by Russia.
Moscow launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, triggering the worst armed conflict in Europe since World War II, which has resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths and millions of refugees.
The early draft included the "recognition" of the occupied areas -- around one-fifth of the country -- as de facto Russian. It also required the Ukrainian army to withdraw from the territories it controls in the eastern Donetsk region.
This issue, the most painful for Kyiv, is now expected to be ironed out during direct talks between the US and Ukrainian presidents in Washington.
"The issue of territory is obviously one of the most difficult," said Oleksandr Bevz, one of the Ukrainian negotiators in Geneva.
"A dialogue between the presidents is required" on "sensitive issues such as territories and security guarantees", he told AFP.
Ukraine, invaded by Russia twice since 2014, insists on unwavering security guarantees from the West.
- Army -
The latest version of the plan allows Ukraine to have an 800,000-strong army, compared to a cap of 600,000 soldiers in the earlier text, a senior official familiar with the talks, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told AFP on Tuesday.
"It's not that there's a cap or not. It's roughly like it is now," the source said.
Bevz declined to confirm the figure, but said that in Geneva, "our Chief of Defence Staff explained to the American side" that "Ukraine's ability to defend itself is decisive".
- NATO -
After the talks in the scenic Swiss city, Washington and Kyiv said that a "future peace agreement" must "fully respect Ukraine's sovereignty".
For Kyiv, this means the absence of a Russian veto on its potential accession to NATO, which Ukraine sees as a key bulwark against Moscow.
According to the early version of the US plan, Kyiv would have to enshrine the pledge to never join the alliance in its constitution, while NATO would have to amend its statutes to prevent Ukraine ever becoming a member.
- Nuclear plant -
The first draft stipulated that the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, which Russia has occupied since 2022, would start producing electricity again.
But it also divided the output of Europe's largest nuclear plant equally between Russia and Ukraine.
The revised text "has been improved" on the Zaporizhzhia front, a source close to the Ukrainian delegation in Geneva told AFP, without elaborating further.
- Ceasefire -
The initial US blueprint provided for a ceasefire once all parties have agreed.
"The point on the ceasefire remained the same as in the first version," the source close to the Ukrainian delegation told AFP.
Kyiv and its European allies have consistently insisted on a ceasefire as a prerequisite for any negotiations on a lasting peace. European officials "were present at a part" of the US-Ukrainian talks in Geneva, said Bevz, the negotiator.
- No Moscow rejection yet -
After Russia welcomed parts of the new US plan, top Kremlin diplomatic aide Yuri Ushakov said that "some aspects can be viewed positively".
"But many others require special discussion among experts," he added in comments on Russian television.
Later, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov described the ongoing diplomatic efforts as a "serious process".
- 'Doable' for Kyiv -
Unlike the initial draft, the new version of the plan appears more acceptable to Kyiv.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Monday that "many of the right elements have been taken into account" in the latest version, which could "become doable".
Bevz said that "given the determination of the American side, there are optimistic expectations that this will lead" to a "lasting peace".
However, the new draft does not provide for any timeline, the negotiator noted.
D.Sawyer--AMWN