-
Dos Santos at the double, Jackson and Russell shine in Xiamen
-
Man Utd's Fernandes named Premier League Player of the Season
-
Iran chief negotiator vows 'crushing' response if US returns to war
-
EU automated border system suspended at Dover amid bank holiday chaos
-
F1 legend Alain Prost's Swiss home robbed: reports
-
De Zerbi demands 'blood and spirit' from Spurs on survival Sunday
-
Guardiola reveals Hart snub was biggest Man City regret
-
Roland Garros organisers, players have 'encouraging' meeting over dispute
-
French mother of boys abandoned in Portugal remanded in custody
-
Uganda confirms new Ebola cases, linked to DR Congo
-
Pope condemns environmental harm in Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
Auckland FC become first New Zealand team to win A-League title
-
Russian war drama among favourites for top Cannes prize
-
North Korean women crowned Asian club champions in South
-
China coal mine blast kills at least 90, more missing
-
Full steam ahead for Milei's Andean mining revolution
-
Iran weighs peace proposal, accuses US of 'excessive demands'
-
Rubio in India to renew ties after Trump's China lovefest
-
Pope visits Italy's 'Land of Fires'
-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
Dominican Republic to allow US to use facilities for anti-drug ops
The Dominican Republic said Wednesday it will allow the United Sates to use an air base and airport as part of its controversial operations against alleged drug traffickers that have killed more than 80 people so far.
The announcement came during a visit by US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to Santo Domingo, as the United States seeks to ramp up pressure on leftist Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro, whom Washington accuses of heading a drug cartel.
"We have authorized the United States, for a limited time, to use restricted areas at the San Isidro Air Base and the Las Americas International Airport for logistical operations of aircraft," including refueling and the transport of equipment and personnel, President Luis Abinader told a news conference.
Hegseth, who spoke alongside the Dominican leader, confirmed the "temporary deployment of US service members and aircraft," saying Washington is "deadly serious" about the counter-narcotics mission.
"In waging this war on narco-terrorists, we're willing to go on the offense, go on the offense in a way that changes the dynamic for the entire region, and we think can bring safety, stability and security to our partners," Hegseth said.
"We must meet narco-terrorists and their illegal activities with strength and swift action. It's the only language they understand," he added.
- Major military buildup -
The visit came after the United States designated an alleged Venezuelan drug cartel, Cartel de los Soles (Cartel of the Suns), as a foreign terrorist organization, which gives President Donald Trump's administration legal cover for more action against Venezuelan authorities.
The United States began carrying out strikes on alleged drug smugglers -- which experts say amount to extrajudicial killings even if they target known traffickers -- in early September, and has now destroyed more than 20 vessels it says were used for trafficking.
But Washington has yet to make public any evidence that its targets were smuggling narcotics or posed a threat to the United States.
Trump has deployed the world's biggest aircraft carrier and 10 other ships to the Caribbean -- a huge force for a mission to counter traffickers -- and Washington has also carried out multiple shows of force with B-52 and B-1B bombers flying near Venezuela's coast.
Regional tensions have flared as a result of the strikes and the military buildup, with Maduro accusing Washington of using drug trafficking as a pretext for "imposing regime change" in Caracas to seize Venezuelan oil.
Maduro insists there is no drug cultivation in Venezuela, which he says is used as a trafficking route for Colombian cocaine against its will.
The Dominican Republic has already been cooperating with the US anti-drug operations.
Authorities in the country, which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti, announced earlier this month that they had seized about 500 kilograms (1,100 pounds) of cocaine from a boat intercepted during a joint operation with US forces.
S.F.Warren--AMWN