-
China set for latest space launch, with Hong Kong astronaut aboard
-
Police, protesters clash in new marches against Bolivian leader
-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
Fighting erupts in DR Congo a day after peace deal signed
Fresh fighting in eastern DR Congo on Friday forced hundreds to flee across the border into Rwanda, a day after a peace deal was signed in Washington.
Thursday's agreement was meant to stabilise the resource-rich east but it has had little visible effect on the ground so far, in an area plagued by conflict for 30 years.
Fighters from the anti-government armed group M23 battled on Friday in South Kivu province with the Congolese army, backed by thousands of Burundian soldiers deployed alongside it.
Both sides are fighting for control of the border town of Kamanyola -- where the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Burundi meet. M23 is currently in control there.
Detonations that shook buildings echoed throughout the morning near Kamanyola, an AFP journalist reported in Bugarama, a border post on the Rwandan side some two kilometres (1.3 miles) away.
On Friday, the M23 accused the Burundian army of firing "without interruption" into the DRC.
A Burundian military source told AFP they were reinforcing their positions to ensure they were not overrun by M23 fighters and their Rwandan backers.
"The fighting is intensifying," the source added, speaking on condition of anonymity. "There is a real risk the situation escalates.
"We are bringing reinforcements to the front because this is a red line for Burundi."
The source said his country could not accept it if "the terrorists of M23 and their Rwandan backers reach Uvira", a city in DRC less than 30 kilometres from the Burundian capital Bujumbura.
-'Schools, hospitals' shelled -
Lines of civilians fleeing the fighting crossed the border in the early hours watched by Rwandan police.
"The bombs were exploding above the houses," said one witness, Immaculee Antoinette, from Ruhumba, near Kamanyola.
"We were asked to remain locked inside our houses, but that seemed impossible."
Hassan Shabani, an administrative official in Kamanyola, said "schools, hospitals and civilian homes" were all shelled.
On the Rwandan side, some residents were "scouring the hills from where the shots are coming, in small groups", said local Farizi Bizimana.
"The children and women are very scared and take refuge in houses when the gunfire becomes intense," she added.
In January, M23 backed by Kigali and its army went on the offensive, capturing the major regional cities of Goma in North Kivu province and Bukavu in South Kivu.
On Thursday in Washington, Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi and Rwandan President Paul Kagame signed an agreement that their host, US President Donald Trump, dubbed a "miracle".
D.Moore--AMWN