-
US jury finds Boeing not guilty in 737 MAX grounding lawsuit
-
'Humans want to optimize': Enhanced Games founder embraces doping row
-
Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit
-
The Asian workers keeping Greenland in business
-
'Never going back': Cartel attack decimates Mexican Indigenous town
-
Cannes highlights as film festival wraps up
-
The movies vying for the Cannes Film Festival's top prize
-
Russian war drama among favourites for Cannes top prize
-
Banned ex-100m champ Kerley to compete clean at Enhanced Games
-
Waratahs 'on right track' despite crushing Brumbies loss
-
Senegal's president sacks PM after months of tensions
-
SpaceX's enormous Starship splashes down after test flight
-
US mulls new strikes on Iran: US media reports
-
South Korean Kim flirts with 59, shoots 60 to lead CJ Cup Byron Nelson
-
SpaceX sends Starship rocket sailing into space
-
NASCAR boss pays tribute to 'badass' Kyle Busch
-
Russell bounces back to beat Antonelli in sprint qualifying
-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
-
Sinner says returning to Roland Garros 'special feeling' after 2025 final
-
Castro backers rally in front of US embassy in Havana
Venezuela acknowledges death of detained opposition figure
Venezuela acknowledged Sunday an opposition figure died while in custody, as the Trump administration slammed Caracas as "vile" and the South American country's army swore in thousands of new soldiers amid mounting US military pressure.
Leftist President Nicolas Maduro has called for stepped-up military recruitment after the United States deployed a fleet of warships and the world's largest aircraft carrier to the Caribbean under the pretext of combating drug trafficking.
Washington has accused Maduro of leading the alleged "Cartel of the Suns," which it declared a terrorist organization last month.
Under President Donald Trump, US forces have carried out deadly strikes on more than 20 alleged drug-smuggling vessels, killing at least 87 people.
But the passing of former opposition governor Alfredo Diaz, who rights groups said died in prison Saturday having been detained on charges of terrorism and incitement, has amplified the human rights dimension of the crisis.
"The death of Venezuelan political prisoner Alfredo Díaz, who was arbitrarily detained in the Maduro's torture center of El Helicoide, is yet another reminder of the vile nature of the criminal Maduro regime," the US State Department's Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs said in a post on X.
Venezuela's interior and justice ministry said in a statement that Diaz suffered a heart attack Saturday and attempts to revive him in a hospital failed.
- 887 political prisoners -
With the United States cranking up military pressure on the oil-producing country, and Maduro asserting the American deployment aims to overthrow him and seize the country's oil reserves, Venezuela's army swore in 5,600 soldiers on Saturday.
"Under no circumstances will we allow an invasion by an imperialist force," Colonel Gabriel Rendon said Saturday during a ceremony at Fuerte Tiuna, Venezuela's largest military complex, in Caracas.
According to official figures, Venezuela has around 200,000 troops and an additional 200,000 police officers.
Diaz, reportedly age 56, was at least the sixth opposition member to die in prison since November 2024.
They had been arrested following protests sparked by last July's disputed election, when Maduro claimed a third term despite accusations of fraud.
The protests resulted in 28 deaths and around 2,400 arrests, with nearly 2,000 people released since then.
Diaz, governor of Nueva Esparta from 2017 to 2021, "had been imprisoned and held in isolation for a year; only one visit from his daughter was allowed," said Alfredo Romero, director of the NGO Foro Penal, which defends political prisoners.
The group says there are at least 887 political prisoners in Venezuela.
Opposition leader and 2025 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Corina Machado condemned the deaths of political prisoners during Venezuela's "post-electoral repression."
"The circumstances of these deaths -- including denial of medical care, inhumane conditions, isolation, torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment -- reveal a sustained pattern of state repression," Machado said in a joint statement with Edmundo Gonzalez Urrutia, the opposition candidate she believes won the election.
The pair also called Diaz's death "a crime for which the regime bears full responsibility."
O.Norris--AMWN