-
Lens beat Nice to win French Cup for first time
-
Mexico, EU lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Vunipola guides Montpellier past Ulster to Challenge Cup triumph
-
Fresh confrontation between police, protesters in Bolivia
-
Kevin Warsh: New Fed chair who vows not to be Trump's puppet
-
US Fed chair says will be 'reform-oriented' at glitzy White House swearing-in
-
French Gaza activists arrive home after Israel expulsion
-
Ace, eagle lift Im to early CJ Cup Byron Nelson lead
-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
-
Sinner says returning to Roland Garros 'special feeling' after 2025 final
-
Castro backers rally in front of US embassy in Havana
-
PSG defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Archives interrupted: Vintage pics show Gaza 'we no longer know'
-
Sinner stands between Djokovic and record 25th major crown at French Open
-
Cannes red carpet showstoppers
-
Dethroned clay queen Swiatek 'willing to fight'
-
Ukraine hits college in Russian-occupied town, killing 4: Moscow
-
France's youngest PM Attal to run for president
-
Women directors close Cannes, putting gender imbalance in spotlight
-
Man City needed 'new energy' as Guardiola seeks break from coaching
-
Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims' families
-
Tennis players 'ignored' but 'united' in Grand Slam pay dispute
-
'Hard to win': Taiwanese react to uncertainty over US arms sales
-
Tuchel has 'no fear' after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Five things to know about South Africa's anti-migrant protests
-
Tennis players 'ignored' in pay dispute, says Fritz
-
France announces billion-euro boost for quantum computing
-
Pick of Pep Guardiola's quotes during his time at Manchester City
Congo refugees recount death and chaos as war reignites
Congolese refugees described neighbours being massacred and losing children in the chaos as they fled into Rwanda to escape a surge in fighting despite a peace deal brokered by US President Donald Trump.
"I have 10 kids, but I'm here with only three. I don't know what happened to the other seven, or their father," Akilimali Mirindi, 40, told AFP in the Nyarushishi refugee camp in Rwanda's Rusizi district.
Around 1,000 Congolese have ended up in this camp after renewed fighting broke out in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo earlier this month.
The M23 armed group, backed by Rwanda, has seized vast swathes of eastern DRC over the past year and is once again on the march, taking another key city, Uvira, in recent days.
Thousands have fled as civilians are again caught in the crossfire between the M23, Congolese forces and their allies.
Mirindi was living in Kamanyola near the Rwanda border when bombs started falling, destroying her house.
"Many people died, young and old. I saw corpses as we fled, jumping over some of them. I made a decision to cross into Rwanda with the rest," she said.
Trump hosted the presidents of Rwanda and DRC, Paul Kagame and Felix Tshisekedi, on December 4 for an agreement aimed at ending the conflict, but the new offensive was already underway even as they were meeting.
"It's clear there is no understanding between Kagame and Tshisekedi... If they don't reach an understanding, war will go on," said Thomas Mutabazi, 67, in the refugee camp.
"Bombs were raining down on us from different directions, some from FARDC (Congolese army) and Burundian soldiers, some from M23 as they returned fire," he said.
"We had to leave our families and our fields. We don't know anything, yet the brunt of war is faced by us and our families."
- 'Bombs following us' -
The camp sits on a picturesque hill flanked by tea plantations, well-stocked by NGOs from the United Nations, World Food Programme and others.
There are dormitories and a football pitch for the children, but the mostly women and children at the camp spoke of having their homes and fields stripped bare or destroyed by soldiers.
Jeanette Bendereza, 37, had already fled her home in Kamanyola once this year -- during the earlier M23 offensive, escaping to Burundi in February with her four children.
"We came back when they told us peace had returned. We found M23 in charge," she said.
Then the violence restarted.
"We were used to a few bullets, but within a short time bombs started falling from Burundian fighters. That's when we started running."
Burundi has sent troops to help the DRC and finds itself increasingly threatened as the M23 takes towns and villages along its border.
"I ran with neighbours to Kamanyola... We could hear the bombs following us... I don't know where my husband is now," Bendereza said, adding she had lost her phone in the chaos.
Olinabangi Kayibanda, 56, had tried to hold out in Kamanyola as the fighting began.
"But when we started seeing people dying and others losing limbs due to bombs... even children were dying, so we decided to flee," he said.
"I saw a neighbour of mine dead after her house was bombed. She died along with her two children in the house. She was also pregnant."
F.Bennett--AMWN