-
From agave syrup to raw materials: EU, Mexico agree trade expansion
-
Antonelli romps opening practice ahead of Russell
-
Who killed Trump's AI order? Musk says it wasn't him
-
Pakistan military chief arrives in Tehran in push to end Iran war
-
Klaasen helps Hyderabad past Bangalore
-
US intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns
-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
-
Sinner says returning to Roland Garros 'special feeling' after 2025 final
-
Castro backers rally in front of US embassy in Havana
-
PSG defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Archives interrupted: Vintage pics show Gaza 'we no longer know'
-
Sinner stands between Djokovic and record 25th major crown at French Open
-
Cannes red carpet showstoppers
-
Dethroned clay queen Swiatek 'willing to fight'
-
Ukraine hits college in Russian-occupied town, killing 4: Moscow
-
France's youngest PM Attal to run for president
-
Women directors close Cannes, putting gender imbalance in spotlight
-
Man City needed 'new energy' as Guardiola seeks break from coaching
-
Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims' families
-
Tennis players 'ignored' but 'united' in Grand Slam pay dispute
-
'Hard to win': Taiwanese react to uncertainty over US arms sales
-
Tuchel has 'no fear' after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Five things to know about South Africa's anti-migrant protests
-
Tennis players 'ignored' in pay dispute, says Fritz
-
France announces billion-euro boost for quantum computing
-
Pick of Pep Guardiola's quotes during his time at Manchester City
-
Leinster's Lowe misses out on Champions Cup final selection
-
Tuchel has no fears after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager
-
Leinster's Cullen wants Champions Cup to be 'protected' after format change reports
-
Pep Guardiola's finest Manchester City moments
-
Guardiola to step down after glittering decade at Man City
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager - club
-
India warns of power use as demand peaks during heatwave
ECOWAS threatens 'targeted sanctions' over Guinea Bissau coup
West African regional bloc ECOWAS on Sunday threatened "targeted sanctions" on anyone obstructing Guinea-Bissau's return to civilian rule following last month's coup.
The announcement came as presidents from across the region met Sunday in Nigeria for a bi-annual meeting whose agenda was dominated by two recent coup attempts: a successful military takeover in Guinea-Bissau and a failed putsch in Benin.
"The authorities shall impose targeted sanctions on individuals or groups of persons that obstruct the transition process," ECOWAS commission president Omar Alieu Touray told reporters at the end of summit, held in the Nigerian capital Abuja.
The twin disruptions of civilian rule -- last month in Guinea-Bissau and a week ago in Benin -- have rattled ECOWAS.
The bloc was previously hit with a string of coups between 2020 and 2023 in Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mali and Niger -- all of which are still under junta control.
"The events of the last few weeks have shown in concrete terms what regional solidarity means," Touray said earlier in the day, at the opening ceremony of the heads of state summit.
The summit, held in a conference hall on the bucolic and highly secured campus surrounding the presidential villa at Aso Rock, was organised prior to the two recent coup attempts, but they are high on the agenda.
- Sahel security on agenda -
Presidents gathered for the meeting were set to discuss a recent ECOWAS mission to Guinea-Bissau and "the situation in the Republic of Benin", according to the programme.
Trade liberalisation measures and "update on the transition process" in Guinea were also on the agenda.
Also on the priority list is security in the Sahel region, where jihadist groups are waging insurgencies in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger.
Under junta rule the three countries left ECOWAS and formed their own group, the Alliance of Sahel States (AES).
Last week, Touray called for negotiations with the AES over shared security concerns as the conflict continues to spread south.
"No border can insulate us from violence," Sierra Leone President Julius Bio, who currently holds ECOWAS's rotating chairmanship, said Sunday.
Heads of state from Guinea and Guinea-Bissau, suspended after their military takeovers, were not present at the summit.
Nigerian president Bola Tinubu was not in attendance, and was instead represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima.
In addition to military takeovers, democratic backsliding has also dogged civilian governments in west Africa.
In October, Ivory Coast elected President Alassane Ouattara to a fourth term in an election that saw his rivals barred.
Both Bio and Tinubu's 2023 elections sparked complaints of irregularities.
H.E.Young--AMWN