-
Gauff at ease in Paris as she prepares to defend French Open title
-
Pep 'made me believe I could be a coach', says Kompany
-
Ebola risk now at highest level in DR Congo, says WHO
-
Rising Spain star Jodar wants to 'follow own path' at Roland Garros
-
Wawrinka considering return for famous French Open shorts
-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
-
Sinner says returning to Roland Garros 'special feeling' after 2025 final
-
Castro backers rally in front of US embassy in Havana
-
PSG defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Archives interrupted: Vintage pics show Gaza 'we no longer know'
-
Sinner stands between Djokovic and record 25th major crown at French Open
-
Cannes red carpet showstoppers
-
Dethroned clay queen Swiatek 'willing to fight'
-
Ukraine hits college in Russian-occupied town, killing 4: Moscow
-
France's youngest PM Attal to run for president
-
Women directors close Cannes, putting gender imbalance in spotlight
-
Man City needed 'new energy' as Guardiola seeks break from coaching
-
Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims' families
-
Tennis players 'ignored' but 'united' in Grand Slam pay dispute
-
'Hard to win': Taiwanese react to uncertainty over US arms sales
-
Tuchel has 'no fear' after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Five things to know about South Africa's anti-migrant protests
-
Tennis players 'ignored' in pay dispute, says Fritz
-
France announces billion-euro boost for quantum computing
-
Pick of Pep Guardiola's quotes during his time at Manchester City
-
Leinster's Lowe misses out on Champions Cup final selection
-
Tuchel has no fears after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager
-
Leinster's Cullen wants Champions Cup to be 'protected' after format change reports
-
Pep Guardiola's finest Manchester City moments
-
Guardiola to step down after glittering decade at Man City
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager - club
-
India warns of power use as demand peaks during heatwave
-
Bad Bunny kicks off European leg of tour in Barcelona
-
PSG's Moroccan defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Slot says he shares Salah ambition for Liverpool
-
German business morale rises for first time since Iran war
-
Palmer and Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
Indian duo dies on Everest as record breaker warns of overcrowding
Australian PM says 'Islamic State ideology' drove Bondi Beach gunmen
A father and son were driven by "Islamic State ideology" when they fired on Bondi Beach in one of Australia's deadliest mass shootings, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Tuesday.
Sajid Akram and his son Naveed opened fire on Jewish crowds thronging the famous beach for Hanukkah on Sunday evening, killing 15 people and wounding dozens more.
Authorities said the attack was designed to sow panic among the nation's Jews, but have so far given little detail about the gunmen's deeper motivations.
Albanese gave one of the first hints that the pair had been radicalised by an "ideology of hate".
"It would appear that this was motivated by Islamic State ideology," Albanese told national broadcaster ABC.
"With the rise of ISIS more than a decade ago now, the world has been grappling with extremism and this hateful ideology," he said in a separate interview.
Police found a car registered to Naveed Akram parked near the beach in the aftermath of the shooting.
They found improvised bombs and "two homemade ISIS flags", New South Wales Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said on Tuesday, using another name for the Islamic State group.
Authorities are facing mounting questions over whether they could have acted earlier to foil the attack.
Albanese said Naveed Akram, reportedly an unemployed bricklayer, had come to the attention of Australia's intelligence agency in 2019 but was not considered an imminent threat at the time.
"They interviewed him, they interviewed his family members, they interviewed people around him," Albanese said.
"He was not seen at that time to be a person of interest."
Police are still piecing together the duo's movements before the shooting.
A key question is whether they met with Islamist extremists on a trip to the Philippines last month, Australian media reported.
"The reasons why they went to the Philippines, and the purpose of that, and where they went, is under investigation at the moment," Lanyon told reporters on Tuesday.
Naveed reportedly told his mother on the day of the attack that he was heading out of the city on a fishing trip.
Instead, authorities believe that he was holed up in a rental apartment with his father plotting the assault.
Carrying long-barrelled guns, they peppered the beach and a nearby park with bullets for 10 minutes before police shot and killed 50-year-old Sajid.
Naveed, 24, remains in a coma in hospital under police guard.
- Stricter gun control? -
A 10-year-old girl, a Holocaust survivor and a local rabbi were among those killed, while 42 others were rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds and other injuries.
Australia's leaders agreed on Monday to toughen laws that allowed father Sajid to own six guns.
Mass shootings have been rare in Australia since a lone gunman killed 35 people in the tourist town of Port Arthur in 1996.
The Port Arthur Massacre sparked a world-leading crackdown that included a gun buyback scheme and limits on semi-automatic weapons.
But many Australians are now questioning whether those laws are equipped to deal with online sales and a steady rise in privately owned guns.
"This horrific situation now, it does make me personally feel that they need to be stricter," David Sovyer, 43, told AFP.
Retiree Allan McRae, 75, said "not a lot of people need a gun".
"It would've reduced the possibility of it happening if more people had reduced access to a gun," he told AFP.
- Failed to act -
The attack has also revived allegations that Australia is dragging its feet in the fight against antisemitism.
"The last four years, I was very clear. And I was very clear about the dangers of the rise in antisemitism," Israel's ambassador to Australia, Amir Maimon, said while visiting a memorial to the victims on Tuesday.
Australian Jewish Association head Robert Gregory told AFP the government had "failed to take adequate actions to protect the Jewish community".
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Australia's decision to recognise Palestinian statehood this year had poured "oil on the fire of antisemitism".
Desperate to help, Australians have lined up in their thousands to donate blood to the wounded.
Red Cross Australia said more than 7,000 people had given blood on Monday, smashing the previous national record.
A makeshift flower memorial next to Bondi Beach swelled in size on Monday evening as mourners gathered to pay tribute to the victims and mark the second day of Hanukkah.
Hundreds of mourners, including members of the Jewish community, sang songs, clapped and held each other.
Leading a ceremony to light a menorah, a rabbi told the crowd: "The only strength we have is if we bring light into the world."
Ch.Kahalev--AMWN