-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
-
Sinner says returning to Roland Garros 'special feeling' after 2025 final
-
Castro backers rally in front of US embassy in Havana
-
PSG defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Archives interrupted: Vintage pics show Gaza 'we no longer know'
-
Sinner stands between Djokovic and record 25th major crown at French Open
-
Cannes red carpet showstoppers
-
Dethroned clay queen Swiatek 'willing to fight'
-
Ukraine hits college in Russian-occupied town, killing 4: Moscow
-
France's youngest PM Attal to run for president
-
Women directors close Cannes, putting gender imbalance in spotlight
-
Man City needed 'new energy' as Guardiola seeks break from coaching
-
Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims' families
-
Tennis players 'ignored' but 'united' in Grand Slam pay dispute
-
'Hard to win': Taiwanese react to uncertainty over US arms sales
-
Tuchel has 'no fear' after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Five things to know about South Africa's anti-migrant protests
-
Tennis players 'ignored' in pay dispute, says Fritz
-
France announces billion-euro boost for quantum computing
-
Pick of Pep Guardiola's quotes during his time at Manchester City
-
Leinster's Lowe misses out on Champions Cup final selection
-
Tuchel has no fears after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager
-
Leinster's Cullen wants Champions Cup to be 'protected' after format change reports
-
Pep Guardiola's finest Manchester City moments
-
Guardiola to step down after glittering decade at Man City
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager - club
-
India warns of power use as demand peaks during heatwave
-
Bad Bunny kicks off European leg of tour in Barcelona
-
PSG's Moroccan defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Slot says he shares Salah ambition for Liverpool
-
German business morale rises for first time since Iran war
-
Palmer and Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
Indian duo dies on Everest as record breaker warns of overcrowding
-
Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa says will leave post
-
Neuer to miss German Cup final in latest injury setback
-
Thousands clash with Bangladesh police over alleged child rape
-
Palmer, Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
NATO ministers sound out US on Trump's 'confusing' troop moves
Brazil Senate debates bill that could slash Bolsonaro jail term
Brazil's Senate on Wednesday began debating a bill that could slash the 27-year jail term of former president Jair Bolsonaro, who was convicted of plotting a botched coup after a failed re-election bid.
The bill was passed by the conservative-controlled lower house of Congress last week, and the Senate could vote on it as soon as Wednesday, or it could be pushed into the new year.
Bolsonaro, 70, began serving a 27-year prison sentence in November after his conviction for a scheme to prevent President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva from taking office after the 2022 election.
After months of jockeying by his supporters in Congress for some sort of amnesty for the far-right leader, the lower house approved a bill that would significantly reduce sentences for several crimes, including coup d'etat.
This opens up the prospect that Bolsonaro could serve only two years in jail.
Under current rules, he is expected to serve about eight years of his sentence before being eligible for a looser regime under judicial supervision, according to an estimation by the Brasilia Sentencing Enforcement Court.
The bill's passage in the lower house provoked protests in cities across Brazil on Sunday, where demonstrators chanted "no amnesty" and held up banners reading: "Congress, enemy of the people."
Political forces are more evenly balanced in the Senate.
Senators on the justice committee rejected several requests to postpone discussing the bill.
Bolsonaro's oldest son, the senator Flavio Bolsonaro -- who the former president anointed as the candidate of the right in 2026 elections -- called for the plenary to "address this issue once and for all."
With the end-of-year recess looming, if the Senate does not approve the bill before Friday, the debate will be postponed until 2026.
- Fears over who will benefit -
The bill could also benefit more than 100 Bolsonaro supporters who were imprisoned for their role in January 2023 riots against the seats of government in Brasilia, shortly after Lula took office.
Critics warn it could impact sentencing for other crimes.
Senator Alessandro Vieira called for the rejection of the bill, saying it creates "a real regulatory vacuum that favors criminality."
Flavio Bolsonaro said the text needed to be improved "to prevent this benefit from being granted to real criminals."
The author of the legislation, deputy Paulinho da Forca, said it was a "gesture of reconciliation" in a polarized country.
Bolsonaro is serving his sentence in a special room at a police facility in the capital Brasilia, after a dramatic start to his jail term when he took a soldering iron to his ankle monitoring bracelet while under house arrest.
If the bill is passed by the Senate, it will head to the desk of Lula, who has vowed to veto it, saying Bolsonaro "must pay" for his crimes.
However, Congress has the last word and can overturn the president's veto.
Bolsonaro was convicted for a scheme to stop Lula from taking office after his razor-thin loss in a bitter 2022 election that highlighted stark political divisions in Brazil.
The plot allegedly involved a plan to assassinate Lula, his vice president Geraldo Alckmin and Supreme Court judge Alexandre de Moraes.
Prosecutors said the scheme failed because of a lack of support from military top brass.
Y.Aukaiv--AMWN