-
Success fuels Guardiola's campaign for a 'better society'
-
EU seeks to rebalance trade relationship with China
-
SpaceX to retry Starship test launch Friday
-
Spurs must play with 'blood, character, and spirit': De Zerbi
-
Stocks gain, oil higher as investors weigh Mideast peace prospects
-
Carney says Alberta 'essential' to Canada as separatist push advances
-
Barcelona's Putellas dismisses talk of future before Champions League final
-
Mexico, EU to lower tariffs in bid to grow non-US trade
-
Carrick appointed as Man Utd permanent coach
-
Italy's Bettiol claims Giro 13th stage, Eulalio holds lead
-
Sabalenka poised to 'go for it' at Roland Garros
-
Latest Neuer injury 'no danger' for World Cup, say Bayern
-
Sinner says returning to Roland Garros 'special feeling' after 2025 final
-
Castro backers rally in front of US embassy in Havana
-
PSG defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Archives interrupted: Vintage pics show Gaza 'we no longer know'
-
Sinner stands between Djokovic and record 25th major crown at French Open
-
Cannes red carpet showstoppers
-
Dethroned clay queen Swiatek 'willing to fight'
-
Ukraine hits college in Russian-occupied town, killing 4: Moscow
-
France's youngest PM Attal to run for president
-
Women directors close Cannes, putting gender imbalance in spotlight
-
Man City needed 'new energy' as Guardiola seeks break from coaching
-
Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims' families
-
Tennis players 'ignored' but 'united' in Grand Slam pay dispute
-
'Hard to win': Taiwanese react to uncertainty over US arms sales
-
Tuchel has 'no fear' after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Five things to know about South Africa's anti-migrant protests
-
Tennis players 'ignored' in pay dispute, says Fritz
-
France announces billion-euro boost for quantum computing
-
Pick of Pep Guardiola's quotes during his time at Manchester City
-
Leinster's Lowe misses out on Champions Cup final selection
-
Tuchel has no fears after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager
-
Leinster's Cullen wants Champions Cup to be 'protected' after format change reports
-
Pep Guardiola's finest Manchester City moments
-
Guardiola to step down after glittering decade at Man City
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager - club
-
India warns of power use as demand peaks during heatwave
-
Bad Bunny kicks off European leg of tour in Barcelona
-
PSG's Moroccan defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Slot says he shares Salah ambition for Liverpool
-
German business morale rises for first time since Iran war
-
Palmer and Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
Indian duo dies on Everest as record breaker warns of overcrowding
-
Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa says will leave post
-
Neuer to miss German Cup final in latest injury setback
-
Thousands clash with Bangladesh police over alleged child rape
-
Palmer, Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
NATO ministers sound out US on Trump's 'confusing' troop moves
US government admits liability in deadly DC air collision
The US government admitted it was liable for a deadly midair collision between a military helicopter and a passenger jet outside Washington earlier this year, killing 67 people, according to a court document filed Wednesday.
The 209-page filing by the US Department of Justice, obtained by AFP, was part of a civil lawsuit by one of the passengers killed on the jet against the US government and the commercial airlines operating the plane.
"The United States admits that it owed a duty of care to Plaintiffs, which it breached, thereby proximately causing the tragic accident," the document begins.
The crash occurred on January 29 when an American Eagle airliner from Wichita, Kansas, was approaching the landing strip at Ronald Reagan National Airport when a military Black Hawk helicopter operated by the US Army crashed into the jet, causing both aircraft to fall into the freezing Potomac River.
The disaster marked the deadliest crash of a US commercial flight in decades and prompted tighter air safety protocols at Reagan Airport.
In the court documents, the government admitted that safety risks "of midair collision cannot be reduced to zero" in the airspace outside Reagan Airport.
It also admitted to the failure of the US Army pilots of the Black Hawk "to maintain vigilance so as to see and avoid other aircraft and their failure was a cause-in-fact and proximate cause of the accident."
The court filing also cited improper actions by an air traffic controller at the airport, saying they "did not comply" with federal regulations.
Earlier this year, a preliminary investigation by the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) highlighted faulty instruments and communication problems as possible contributing factors to the crash.
The inquiry found the air traffic controller's warning to the helicopter about the jet was muffled, and it did not receive crucial instructions to veer out of the flight path moments before the midair collision.
The full NTSB investigation, which can take up to a year, is ongoing and a final report remains pending.
P.Santos--AMWN