-
Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims' families
-
Tennis players 'ignored' but 'united' in Grand Slam pay dispute
-
'Hard to win': Taiwanese react to uncertainty over US arms sales
-
Tuchel has 'no fear' after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Five things to know about South Africa's anti-migrant protests
-
Tennis players 'ignored' in pay dispute, says Fritz
-
France announces billion-euro boost for quantum computing
-
Pick of Pep Guardiola's quotes during his time at Manchester City
-
Leinster's Lowe misses out on Champions Cup final selection
-
Tuchel has no fears after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager
-
Leinster's Cullen wants Champions Cup to be 'protected' after format change reports
-
Pep Guardiola's finest Manchester City moments
-
Guardiola to step down after glittering decade at Man City
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager - club
-
India warns of power use as demand peaks during heatwave
-
Bad Bunny kicks off European leg of tour in Barcelona
-
PSG's Moroccan defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Slot says he shares Salah ambition for Liverpool
-
German business morale rises for first time since Iran war
-
Palmer and Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
Indian duo dies on Everest as record breaker warns of overcrowding
-
Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa says will leave post
-
Neuer to miss German Cup final in latest injury setback
-
Thousands clash with Bangladesh police over alleged child rape
-
Palmer, Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
NATO ministers sound out US on Trump's 'confusing' troop moves
-
Middle East war casts shadow over million-strong hajj pilgrimage
-
Foden, Palmer to miss out on England World Cup squad - reports
-
'Confusing': NATO allies sound out US on Trump's troop moves
-
UK police prepared to probe Andrew sexual misconduct claim
-
Slow Food's 'visionary' founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76
-
India capital's motor-rickshaws get Trump makeover
-
Dynasties clash as Barcelona and Lyon face off in Women's Champions League final
-
Organized criminals kill at least 25 in Honduras
-
North Korean women deny 'rough' play ahead of Asian club final
-
Giant wind turbine rises in Germany amid far-right headwinds
-
Mangrove loss threatens Sierra Leone's oyster harvesters
-
No way home for Eid as jihadists cut off Mali capital
-
Vietnam auctions convicted tycoon's Hermes handbags for over $500k
-
Trump-backed push for deep-sea mining 'unlawful': international regulator to AFP
-
Uno targets Olympics in figure skating comeback
-
Bayern hope to avoid 'bitter' end as spoilers Stuttgart await in German Cup
-
What to look out for in final La Liga weekend
-
Five stars ready to light up the World Cup
-
India generates record power as demand surges in severe heatwave
-
Asian equities climb on Mideast optimism, oil edges higher
-
Japan inflation slows more than expected in April
-
Second-half surge carries Knicks past Cavs for 2-0 NBA East lead
-
NATO allies to sound out US top diplomat after Trump Iran ire
Arsonists target Bangladesh newspapers after student leader's death
Firefighters pulled journalists from their burning newsroom on Friday after the building was set ablaze during violent demonstrations in Bangladesh's capital.
Thousands of protesters were brought to the streets by the assassination of a youth leader running for parliament in upcoming national elections.
A key figure in last year's uprising, Sharif Osman Hadi, 32, was shot by masked gunmen while leaving a mosque in Dhaka last week.
After he died in hospital on Thursday, his supporters gathered in Dhaka demanding the killers be brought to justice.
Several buildings, including those housing leading newspapers Prothom Alo and the Daily Star, were set on fire and vandalised, according to authorities.
Staff trapped in the Daily Star newsroom described being unable to escape as the building filled with smoke.
"I can't breathe anymore. There's too much smoke. I am inside. You are killing me," reporter Zyma Islam wrote on her Facebook page.
Firefighters managed to bring the blaze under control at 1:40 am (1940 GMT on Thursday), with 27 employees rescued from the smouldering building.
"For the first time in the newspaper's history, the publication had to be halted," consulting editor Kamal Ahmed told AFP.
At the Prothom Alo, executive editor Sajjad Sharif said he was "deeply saddened" that the newspaper could not be published due to vandalism and arson.
"This attack is not merely an attack on Prothom Alo and the Daily Star, it's an attack on freedom of the press, expression, dissent and diversity of opinion," he said.
Critics of the papers, the largest in the South Asian country, accuse them of favouring neighbouring India, where Bangladesh's ousted prime minister Sheikh Hasina has taken refuge since quitting in 2024.
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) said it was alarmed by the violence against the press.
"CPJ is monitoring the situation and urges Bangladeshi authorities to ensure the safety of news outlets and journalists, and to hold those responsible accountable," it said in a statement.
Hadi, a leader of the student protest group Inqilab Mancha, was also an outspoken critic of India.
After he was shot in Dhaka on December 12, he was airlifted to Singapore, where authorities later announced he had succumbed to his wounds.
Inqilab Mancha distanced itself from the violence that erupted at the Dhaka protests, blaming opportunists for trying to derail the demonstrations.
"They essentially want to turn Bangladesh into a dysfunctional state through vandalism and arson," the group said in a statement posted to social media.
"They want to endanger the independence and sovereignty of this country."
Bangladeshi police have launched a manhunt for Hadi's shooters, releasing photographs of two key suspects and offering a reward of five million taka (about $42,000) for information leading to their arrest.
M.Thompson--AMWN