-
Riot hits DR Congo hospital as Ebola response angers victims' families
-
Tennis players 'ignored' but 'united' in Grand Slam pay dispute
-
'Hard to win': Taiwanese react to uncertainty over US arms sales
-
Tuchel has 'no fear' after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Five things to know about South Africa's anti-migrant protests
-
Tennis players 'ignored' in pay dispute, says Fritz
-
France announces billion-euro boost for quantum computing
-
Pick of Pep Guardiola's quotes during his time at Manchester City
-
Leinster's Lowe misses out on Champions Cup final selection
-
Tuchel has no fears after omitting star names from England's World Cup squad
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager
-
Leinster's Cullen wants Champions Cup to be 'protected' after format change reports
-
Pep Guardiola's finest Manchester City moments
-
Guardiola to step down after glittering decade at Man City
-
Michael Carrick given permanent deal as Man Utd manager - club
-
India warns of power use as demand peaks during heatwave
-
Bad Bunny kicks off European leg of tour in Barcelona
-
PSG's Moroccan defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Slot says he shares Salah ambition for Liverpool
-
German business morale rises for first time since Iran war
-
Palmer and Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
Indian duo dies on Everest as record breaker warns of overcrowding
-
Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa says will leave post
-
Neuer to miss German Cup final in latest injury setback
-
Thousands clash with Bangladesh police over alleged child rape
-
Palmer, Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
NATO ministers sound out US on Trump's 'confusing' troop moves
-
Middle East war casts shadow over million-strong hajj pilgrimage
-
Foden, Palmer to miss out on England World Cup squad - reports
-
'Confusing': NATO allies sound out US on Trump's troop moves
-
UK police prepared to probe Andrew sexual misconduct claim
-
Slow Food's 'visionary' founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76
-
India capital's motor-rickshaws get Trump makeover
-
Dynasties clash as Barcelona and Lyon face off in Women's Champions League final
-
Organized criminals kill at least 25 in Honduras
-
North Korean women deny 'rough' play ahead of Asian club final
-
Giant wind turbine rises in Germany amid far-right headwinds
-
Mangrove loss threatens Sierra Leone's oyster harvesters
-
No way home for Eid as jihadists cut off Mali capital
-
Vietnam auctions convicted tycoon's Hermes handbags for over $500k
-
Trump-backed push for deep-sea mining 'unlawful': international regulator to AFP
-
Uno targets Olympics in figure skating comeback
-
Bayern hope to avoid 'bitter' end as spoilers Stuttgart await in German Cup
-
What to look out for in final La Liga weekend
-
Five stars ready to light up the World Cup
-
India generates record power as demand surges in severe heatwave
-
Asian equities climb on Mideast optimism, oil edges higher
-
Japan inflation slows more than expected in April
-
Second-half surge carries Knicks past Cavs for 2-0 NBA East lead
-
NATO allies to sound out US top diplomat after Trump Iran ire
Syria monitor says US strikes killed at least five IS members
A Syria monitor said Saturday that five Islamic State jihadist group members had been killed in US strikes overnight as Jordan confirmed it participated in the raids, after a deadly attack on American troops last weekend.
US forces said they had struck more than 70 IS targets in what President Donald Trump described as "very serious retaliation" for the December 13 attack that killed two US soldiers and a US civilian.
Washington has said a lone IS gunman carried out the attack in central Syria's Palmyra, home to UNESCO-listed ancient ruins and once controlled by jihadist fighters.
It was the first such incident since the overthrow of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad in December last year, and Syrian authorities said the perpetrator was a security forces member who had been due to be fired for his "extremist Islamist ideas".
IS has not claimed the attack.
Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, told AFP that "at least five members of the Islamic State group were killed" in eastern Syria's Deir Ezzor province. They included the leader of a cell responsible for drones in the area.
Jordan's military said its air force had joined the operation "to prevent extremist organisations from exploiting these areas as launching pads to threaten the security of Syria's neighbours and the region, particularly after terrorist organisation IS reconstituted itself and rebuilt its capacities in southern Syria".
- 'Intense bombardment' -
A Syrian security source told AFP that the US strikes targeted IS cells in Syria's vast Badia desert including in Homs, Deir Ezzor and Raqa provinces. The operation did not include ground operations.
Most of the targets were in a mountainous area running north of Palmyra including towards Deir Ezzor, the source said, requesting anonymity.
A US Central Command (CENTCOM) statement said the United States "struck more than 70 targets at multiple locations across central Syria with fighter jets, attack helicopters and artillery.
"The operation employed more than 100 precision munitions targeting known ISIS infrastructure and weapons sites," CENTCOM said, using an acronym for the Islamic State group.
A Syrian security official, also requesting anonymity, told AFP "the bombardment was intense" and had lasted around five hours.
"The targets were far from population centres," the official said, adding that no displacement of residents had been reported and government forces had not been ordered to deploy to the targeted areas.
Syria's foreign ministry, while not directly commenting on the strikes, said on X that the country was committed to fighting IS and "ensuring that it has no safe havens on Syrian territory, and will continue to intensify military operations against it wherever it poses a threat".
Separately on Saturday, the Israeli military announced it had earlier this week detained a suspected IS member in southern Syria.
In a statement, it said that on Wednesday "soldiers completed an operation in the area of Rafid in southern Syria to apprehend a suspected terrorist affiliated with ISIS".
"The suspect was transferred for further processing in Israeli territory," the statement said.
On Wednesday, Syrian state news agency SANA had reported an Israeli incursion in Quneitra province in far southern Syria.
Since the fall of Assad, Israel has moved its troops into a UN-patrolled buffer zone separating Syrian and Israeli forces on the Golan Heights and has carried out repeated incursions.
- 'Very serious retaliation' -
Trump said in a post on his Truth Social network that the United States was "inflicting very serious retaliation, just as I promised, on the murderous terrorists responsible" for the Palmyra attack.
CENTCOM said that since the attack, US and allied forces have "conducted 10 operations in Syria and Iraq resulting in the deaths or detention of 23 terrorist operatives", without specifying which groups the militants belonged to.
The US personnel who were targeted were supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the international effort to combat IS, which seized swathes of Syrian and Iraqi territory in 2014.
IS was territorially defeated in Syria in 2019 but still maintains a presence particularly in the country's vast desert.
US forces are currently deployed in Syria's Kurdish-controlled northeast as well as at Al-Tanf near the border with Jordan.
Jordan played a key role in the US-led coalition against the IS, carrying out strikes and making military bases available, while the country has also been the target of IS attacks.
O.Johnson--AMWN