-
India warns of power use as demand peaks during heatwave
-
Bad Bunny kicks off European leg of tour in Barcelona
-
PSG's Moroccan defender Hakimi bids to have rape case dismissed
-
Slot says he shares Salah ambition for Liverpool
-
German business morale rises for first time since Iran war
-
Palmer and Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
Indian duo dies on Everest as record breaker warns of overcrowding
-
Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa says will leave post
-
Neuer to miss German Cup final in latest injury setback
-
Thousands clash with Bangladesh police over alleged child rape
-
Palmer, Foden left out of England World Cup squad
-
NATO ministers sound out US on Trump's 'confusing' troop moves
-
Middle East war casts shadow over million-strong hajj pilgrimage
-
Foden, Palmer to miss out on England World Cup squad - reports
-
'Confusing': NATO allies sound out US on Trump's troop moves
-
UK police prepared to probe Andrew sexual misconduct claim
-
Slow Food's 'visionary' founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76
-
India capital's motor-rickshaws get Trump makeover
-
Dynasties clash as Barcelona and Lyon face off in Women's Champions League final
-
Organized criminals kill at least 25 in Honduras
-
North Korean women deny 'rough' play ahead of Asian club final
-
Giant wind turbine rises in Germany amid far-right headwinds
-
Mangrove loss threatens Sierra Leone's oyster harvesters
-
No way home for Eid as jihadists cut off Mali capital
-
Vietnam auctions convicted tycoon's Hermes handbags for over $500k
-
Trump-backed push for deep-sea mining 'unlawful': international regulator to AFP
-
Uno targets Olympics in figure skating comeback
-
Bayern hope to avoid 'bitter' end as spoilers Stuttgart await in German Cup
-
What to look out for in final La Liga weekend
-
Five stars ready to light up the World Cup
-
India generates record power as demand surges in severe heatwave
-
Asian equities climb on Mideast optimism, oil edges higher
-
Japan inflation slows more than expected in April
-
Second-half surge carries Knicks past Cavs for 2-0 NBA East lead
-
NATO allies to sound out US top diplomat after Trump Iran ire
-
Belgium worries as migrant crossings to Britain rise
-
Women's Tour Down Under to run alongside men's race
-
Something coming: what scientists know about a potential 'super' El Nino
-
French football's pioneering British champions
-
Leinster seek 5th title to derail Bordeaux-Begles Champions Cup defence
-
Law changes and innovations to look out for at the World Cup
-
US pins hopes on mediator Pakistan in push to end Iran war
-
'Dread': coral scientists fear bleaching El Nino could bring
-
Samsung union to start vote on tentative wage deal
-
Gibraltar monkeys eat soil in junk food detox: study
-
'Filter of fantasy': Japan trials anime therapy to treat depression
-
With Fed under intense Trump pressure, new chief to be sworn in at White House
-
Lebanese accuse Israel of wiping their towns off the map
-
With record-low snow, Colorado preps for wildfire onslaught
-
Windfall settlement, stock trades: Trump accused of 'brazen' corruption
Thousands of new Epstein-linked documents released by US Justice Dept
Thousands of new documents linked to the case of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein were made available Tuesday by the US Department of Justice (DOJ), amid mounting criticism over the pace of the publication and heavy redactions.
At least 8,000 files were posted online, including hundreds of videos or audio recordings, notably surveillance footage from August 2019, the month Epstein was found dead in his jail cell while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
The DOJ posted around 11,000 links to new documents online, but some of them appeared to lead nowhere.
The Epstein Files Transparency Act (EFTA), passed nearly unanimously by Congress and signed by President Donald Trump, mandated the complete release of the Epstein files by Friday of last week.
Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche has blamed the delay on the need to redact the identities of Epstein's more than 1,000 victims from the hundreds of thousands of documents and photos in the government's possession.
EFTA co-sponsors Ro Khanna, a Democrat, and Thomas Massie, a Republican, threatened over the weekend to bring contempt of Congress charges against Attorney General Pam Bondi for failing to comply with the law.
Democratic Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer introduced a resolution on Monday calling for legal action against the Trump administration for failing to release the complete Epstein files.
"Instead of transparency, the Trump administration released a tiny fraction of the files and blacked out massive portions of what little they provided," Schumer said in a statement.
"This is a blatant cover-up. Pam Bondi and Todd Blanche are shielding Donald Trump from accountability, and the Senate has a duty to act."
Blanche denied on Sunday that the Justice Department was redacting the files to protect Trump, a one-time close friend of Epstein.
"We are not redacting information around President Trump," Blanche, a former personal lawyer to the president, told NBC's "Meet the Press."
Blanche said one picture of Trump was briefly removed over concerns for victims. It was later reposted after the Justice Department determined there was "no evidence that any Epstein victims are depicted."
- 'Need no such protection' -
Trump initially tried to block the disclosure of the files linked to Epstein, a wealthy financier with rich and powerful connections.
The president, who cut ties with Epstein years before his arrest and faces no accusations of wrongdoing, finally bowed to mounting pressure from Congress and signed the law compelling publication of the files.
The sweeping blackouts across many of the documents -- combined with tight control over the release by officials in Trump's administration -- have stoked skepticism over whether the disclosure will silence conspiracy theories of a high-level cover-up.
The tranche of materials released on Friday included photographs of former Democratic president Bill Clinton and other famous names, such as pop stars Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson, who were in Epstein's social circle.
Clinton, in a statement released by his spokesman Angel Urena, urged the Justice Department to release any materials in the files related to the former president, saying he had nothing to hide.
"Someone or something is being protected. We do not know whom, what or why. But we do know this: We need no such protection," Clinton said.
"The Department of Justice's actions to date are not about transparency, but about insinuation using selective releases to imply wrongdoing about individuals who have already been repeatedly cleared by the very same Department of Justice," he added.
Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein's former girlfriend, remains the only person convicted in connection with his crimes and is serving a 20-year sentence for recruiting underage girls for the former financier.
Y.Aukaiv--AMWN