-
India generates record power as demand surges in severe heatwave
-
Asian equities climb on Mideast optimism, oil edges higher
-
Japan inflation slows more than expected in April
-
Second-half surge carries Knicks past Cavs for 2-0 NBA East lead
-
NATO allies to sound out US top diplomat after Trump Iran ire
-
Belgium worries as migrant crossings to Britain rise
-
Women's Tour Down Under to run alongside men's race
-
Something coming: what scientists know about a potential 'super' El Nino
-
French football's pioneering British champions
-
Leinster seek 5th title to derail Bordeaux-Begles Champions Cup defence
-
Law changes and innovations to look out for at the World Cup
-
US pins hopes on mediator Pakistan in push to end Iran war
-
'Dread': coral scientists fear bleaching El Nino could bring
-
Samsung union to start vote on tentative wage deal
-
Gibraltar monkeys eat soil in junk food detox: study
-
'Filter of fantasy': Japan trials anime therapy to treat depression
-
With Fed under intense Trump pressure, new chief to be sworn in at White House
-
Lebanese accuse Israel of wiping their towns off the map
-
With record-low snow, Colorado preps for wildfire onslaught
-
Windfall settlement, stock trades: Trump accused of 'brazen' corruption
-
Morocco farmers saw hope in rain, but Mideast war inflates production costs
-
Enhanced Games: the 'Steroid Olympics' hit Las Vegas
-
'Fire in belly' as Kurtley Beale set for Super Rugby milestone
-
Middlesbrough face Hull in football's richest game after 'spygate' row
-
FIFA's huge World Cup to generate unprecedented cash and CO2
-
Spain's Juan Mata named A-League player of the year
-
Trump's big arch approved by ally-controlled board
-
SpaceX postpones highly anticipated Starship launch
-
Haaland and Odegaard lead Norway's World Cup hopes after 28-year absence
-
On key: Leo Woodall finds right notes in 'Tuner'
-
California governor orders a plan to cope with AI job upheaval
-
NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41 after illness: statement
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress
-
Humanitarian situation in Gaza still catastrophic: NGOs
-
Russell says Montreal 'just another race' as pressure mounts
-
'Hungry' Palou starts from pole in pursuit of second straight Indy 500 triumph
-
Southampton sanctions explained as ruling documents released
-
US stocks end volatile session higher as oil prices retreat
-
Ronaldo strikes twice to end long wait for Saudi title
-
Star stylists reveal secrets of making splash on Cannes red carpet
-
World Cup could make football 'mainstream' in co-host Canada
-
India postpones big cat summit over Ebola outbreak
-
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
-
Trump eases curbs on planet-warming gases used in refrigerants
-
Clinical Gujarat end Chennai IPL hopes with 89-run win
-
What's behind the social unrest in Bolivia?
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash
-
Trump pressures Supreme Court to rule for him on citizenship
-
UK details rules for single-sex spaces after landmark ruling
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Turkey after Israel deportation
Trump says pulling National Guard from three cities -- for now
President Donald Trump said Wednesday he was withdrawing National Guard troops from Chicago, Los Angeles and Portland, following a series of legal setbacks over his military deployments in US cities.
The Republican had sent troops into several cities run by Democrats during his first year back in power, in what he called a crackdown on illegal immigration and crime.
Local leaders slammed the moves as authoritarian overreach and launched a string of successful legal challenges, with the US Supreme Court last week blocking the Chicago deployment.
"We are removing the National Guard from Chicago, Los Angeles, and Portland, despite the fact that CRIME has been greatly reduced by having these great Patriots in those cities, and ONLY by that fact," Trump said on his Truth Social network.
In the message on New Year's Eve, Trump said the three cities "were GONE if it weren't for the Federal Government stepping in."
"We will come back, perhaps in a much different and stronger form, when crime begins to soar again -- Only a question of time!" Trump added.
Trump's deployments of National Guard troops have been a centerpiece of his hardline policies on immigration and crime since returning to the White House in January.
The 79-year-old billionaire and former reality star has also sent the National Guard into the capital Washington and to Memphis, Tennessee, and threatened to send them to San Francisco.
But the Trump administration had already begun to pull some troops from Chicago, Los Angeles and Portland in recent weeks as court judgments went against it.
- 'Illegal intimidation tactic' -
Los Angeles became the first city to have troops on the streets in June when Trump went over the heads of local Democratic leaders to order 4,000 National Guard reservists to put down protests over immigration raids.
Those local leaders said the relatively minor protests, which affected only a few blocks in America's second largest metropolis, could easily be handled by city, county and state law enforcement.
On December 10, a federal judge ordered Trump's administration to end the Los Angeles deployment and return control of the soldiers to California's Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom.
Most had already been demobilized, with the US military saying 100 Guard troops remained deployed at the time.
Hours before Trump's announcement, Newsom said the administration had formally stopped opposing the federal court's ruling on the troops.
"This admission by Trump and his occult cabinet members means this illegal intimidation tactic will finally come to an end," Newsom, who is widely seen as a likely Democratic contender for the presidency in 2028, said on X.
Trump meanwhile ordered military forces from Texas and California to Chicago and Portland in early October.
As of last week, some 300 National Guard troops remained activated in the Chicago area but were not engaged in operations.
A judge in November ruled the Portland deployment unlawful and ordered it permanently blocked.
F.Dubois--AMWN