-
Gibraltar monkeys eat soil in junk food detox: study
-
'Filter of fantasy': Japan trials anime therapy to treat depression
-
With Fed under intense Trump pressure, new chief to be sworn in at White House
-
Lebanese accuse Israel of wiping their towns off the map
-
With record-low snow, Colorado preps for wildfire onslaught
-
Windfall settlement, stock trades: Trump accused of 'brazen' corruption
-
Morocco farmers saw hope in rain, but Mideast war inflates production costs
-
Enhanced Games: the 'Steroid Olympics' hit Las Vegas
-
'Fire in belly' as Kurtley Beale set for Super Rugby milestone
-
Middlesbrough face Hull in football's richest game after 'spygate' row
-
FIFA's huge World Cup to generate unprecedented cash and CO2
-
Spain's Juan Mata named A-League player of the year
-
Trump's big arch approved by ally-controlled board
-
SpaceX postpones highly anticipated Starship launch
-
Haaland and Odegaard lead Norway's World Cup hopes after 28-year absence
-
On key: Leo Woodall finds right notes in 'Tuner'
-
California governor orders a plan to cope with AI job upheaval
-
NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41 after illness: statement
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress
-
Humanitarian situation in Gaza still catastrophic: NGOs
-
Russell says Montreal 'just another race' as pressure mounts
-
'Hungry' Palou starts from pole in pursuit of second straight Indy 500 triumph
-
Southampton sanctions explained as ruling documents released
-
US stocks end volatile session higher as oil prices retreat
-
Ronaldo strikes twice to end long wait for Saudi title
-
Star stylists reveal secrets of making splash on Cannes red carpet
-
World Cup could make football 'mainstream' in co-host Canada
-
India postpones big cat summit over Ebola outbreak
-
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
-
Trump eases curbs on planet-warming gases used in refrigerants
-
Clinical Gujarat end Chennai IPL hopes with 89-run win
-
What's behind the social unrest in Bolivia?
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash
-
Trump pressures Supreme Court to rule for him on citizenship
-
UK details rules for single-sex spaces after landmark ruling
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Turkey after Israel deportation
-
Beloved Citroen 2CV revived as electric car
-
UK net migration halves in 2025 in boost for beleaguered Starmer
-
Rubio warns Cuba after US indicts former leader
-
Court ousts leadership of Turkey's main opposition party
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress before Pakistan army chief visit
-
Maguire 'shocked' to be omitted from England World Cup squad
-
US expects 'below normal' Atlantic hurricane season
-
Trump eases 'ridiculous' curbs on greenhouse gases used in refrigerants
-
Ineos-owned Nice in disarray before French Cup final against Lens
-
US Democrats release - and disown - 2024 election autopsy
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Istanbul from Israel: AFP
-
Ghana delays evacuation of 800 citizens from South Africa
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Paris-Rio crash
-
From conflict to cleaning, expo showcases China's drone dominance
Orsted files lawsuit against US suspension of wind turbine leases
Danish offshore wind energy firm Orsted said Friday its US joint venture had filed a lawsuit challenging the suspension of the lease for its nearly-completed project off the coast of New England.
The US Interior Department on December 22 said it had paused leases for all five of the country's offshore wind projects under construction, citing unspecified national security risks and casting new doubt over the future of an industry detested by President Donald Trump.
Orsted has a 50 percent stake in the Revolution Wind project alongside a renewables infrastructure developer that is part of the BlackRock investment group.
The park of 65 turbines off the coast of Rhode Island is 87 percent complete and had been set to go online this year and provide power for more than 350,000 homes, according to Orsted.
"While Revolution Wind continues to seek to work constructively with the Administration and other stakeholders towards an expeditious and durable resolution of this matter, it believes that the lease suspension order violates applicable law," Orsted said in a statement.
The Revolution Wind project faces substantial harm from a continuation of the lease suspension order, it said, and noted an earlier suspension of the project by the Trump administration in August was overturned by the courts.
"As a result, litigation is a necessary step to protect the rights of the project," it added.
The move by the Interior Department came only weeks after a judge ruled that a blanket ban on new offshore permits -- signed by Trump on his first day in office in January -- was illegal.
The Interior Department did not specify what the risks were, but it noted that the Department of Energy had also previously identified potential issues related to radar interference.
Orsted said that Revolution Wind secured all required federal and state permits in 2023 following extensive reviews that lasted years, which included consultations with the US military.
"Those consultations resulted in a fully executed formal agreement between the Department of War, the Department of the Air Force, and Revolution Wind outlining mitigation measures" to be undertaken as part of the project, Orsted said.
Trump has long complained that wind turbines ruin views and are expensive.
In addition to his order attempting to ban new wind farm permits, Trump's administration has also moved to block all federal loans for wind energy.
D.Cunningha--AMWN