-
Gibraltar monkeys eat soil in junk food detox: study
-
'Filter of fantasy': Japan trials anime therapy to treat depression
-
With Fed under intense Trump pressure, new chief to be sworn in at White House
-
Lebanese accuse Israel of wiping their towns off the map
-
With record-low snow, Colorado preps for wildfire onslaught
-
Windfall settlement, stock trades: Trump accused of 'brazen' corruption
-
Morocco farmers saw hope in rain, but Mideast war inflates production costs
-
Enhanced Games: the 'Steroid Olympics' hit Las Vegas
-
'Fire in belly' as Kurtley Beale set for Super Rugby milestone
-
Middlesbrough face Hull in football's richest game after 'spygate' row
-
FIFA's huge World Cup to generate unprecedented cash and CO2
-
Spain's Juan Mata named A-League player of the year
-
Trump's big arch approved by ally-controlled board
-
SpaceX postpones highly anticipated Starship launch
-
Haaland and Odegaard lead Norway's World Cup hopes after 28-year absence
-
On key: Leo Woodall finds right notes in 'Tuner'
-
California governor orders a plan to cope with AI job upheaval
-
NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41 after illness: statement
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress
-
Humanitarian situation in Gaza still catastrophic: NGOs
-
Russell says Montreal 'just another race' as pressure mounts
-
'Hungry' Palou starts from pole in pursuit of second straight Indy 500 triumph
-
Southampton sanctions explained as ruling documents released
-
US stocks end volatile session higher as oil prices retreat
-
Ronaldo strikes twice to end long wait for Saudi title
-
Star stylists reveal secrets of making splash on Cannes red carpet
-
World Cup could make football 'mainstream' in co-host Canada
-
India postpones big cat summit over Ebola outbreak
-
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
-
Trump eases curbs on planet-warming gases used in refrigerants
-
Clinical Gujarat end Chennai IPL hopes with 89-run win
-
What's behind the social unrest in Bolivia?
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash
-
Trump pressures Supreme Court to rule for him on citizenship
-
UK details rules for single-sex spaces after landmark ruling
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Turkey after Israel deportation
-
Beloved Citroen 2CV revived as electric car
-
UK net migration halves in 2025 in boost for beleaguered Starmer
-
Rubio warns Cuba after US indicts former leader
-
Court ousts leadership of Turkey's main opposition party
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress before Pakistan army chief visit
-
Maguire 'shocked' to be omitted from England World Cup squad
-
US expects 'below normal' Atlantic hurricane season
-
Trump eases 'ridiculous' curbs on greenhouse gases used in refrigerants
-
Ineos-owned Nice in disarray before French Cup final against Lens
-
US Democrats release - and disown - 2024 election autopsy
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Istanbul from Israel: AFP
-
Ghana delays evacuation of 800 citizens from South Africa
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Paris-Rio crash
-
From conflict to cleaning, expo showcases China's drone dominance
US military seizes Maduro in bombing raid on Venezuelan capital
President Donald Trump said Saturday that US special forces seized Venezuela's leader Nicolas Maduro during a nighttime bombing raid on the capital Caracas and were taking him to face trial in New York.
A months-long standoff ended swiftly and violently in a high-risk operation that Trump touted as an "amazing" success.
US-backed opposition leader Maria Corina Machado, who won the Nobel Peace Prize last year, posted on social media: "the hour of freedom has arrived."
She called for the opposition's candidate in the 2024 election, Edmundo Gonzalez Urrutia, to "immediately" assume the presidency.
But the United Nations chief said he was "deeply concerned that the rules of international law have not been respected."
China, a backer of Maduro's hard-left regime, said it "strongly condemns" the US attack, while France warned that a solution for troubled Venezuela cannot "be imposed from outside."
Caracas residents woke to explosions and the whir of military helicopters around 2:00 am (0600 GMT). Airstrikes hit a major military base and an airbase, among other sites, for nearly an hour, AFP journalists said.
The bombing turned out to be only part of a more ambitious plan to topple 63-year-old Maduro and bring him to US soil to face narco-trafficking charges.
A triumphant Trump told Fox News that US troops had snatched Maduro from "a fortress" and that no US personnel were killed, although "a couple of guys were hit."
"I watched it, literally, like I was watching a television show," Trump said, expressing astonishment at "the speed, the violence."
"It was an amazing thing," he said.
Within hours of the operation, Caracas had fallen eerily quiet, with police stationed outside public buildings and a smell of smoke drifting through the streets.
- Maduro to New York -
Trump said Maduro was initially extracted by helicopter and was being held on the Iwo Jima, an amphibious assault ship that is part of a large US naval presence in the Caribbean. From there, he will be sent to New York.
Attorney General Pam Bondi said Maduro and his wife will face the "full wrath" of the courts on drugs and terrorism charges.
Maduro -- in power since 2013 after taking over from Hugo Chavez -- long accused Trump of seeking regime change in order to control Venezuela's huge oil reserves.
Trump said the extraordinary snatching of a foreign country's leader was justified because of his claim that Venezuela is responsible for mass death from drugs in the United States.
What happens next in Venezuela remained unclear.
"We're making that decision now. We can't take a chance at letting somebody else run and just take over where he left, left off," Trump told Fox News. "We'll be involved in it very much."
The US and numerous European governments already did not recognize Maduro's legitimacy, saying he stole elections both in 2018 and 2024.
But Trump did not say whether he wanted Machado to take over.
- 'They're bombing!' -
Venezuelans had been bracing for attacks as US forces, including the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford, massed off the coast.
Fort Tiuna, Venezuela's largest military complex, situated in the south of Caracas, and Carlota airbase in the north were among the targets of the strikes.
Francis Pena, a 29-year-old communications professional living in eastern Caracas, told AFP that he was sleeping and his girlfriend said: "They're bombing!"
La Guaira, north of the capital, where Caracas's main airport and port are located, was also struck.
"I felt like (the explosions) lifted me out of bed, and I immediately thought, 'God, the day has come,' and I cried," Maria Eugenia Escobar, a 58-year-old resident of La Guaira, told AFP.
The defense ministry accused the United States of targeting residential areas and announced a "massive deployment" of military resources.
No casualty figures were immediately available.
- Oil, drugs, migrants? -
Trump has given a variety of justifications for the military build-up around Venezuela, at times stressing illegal migration, narcotics trafficking and the country's oil industry, in which US companies have long played a major role.
He had not openly called for regime change -- likely mindful of his nationalist political base's dislike for foreign entanglements.
However, he told Fox News on Saturday that he had spoken with Maduro just last week and told him "You have to give up. You have to surrender."
Several members of Congress quickly questioned the legality of the operation. Trump's key ally Mike Johnson, Republican speaker in the House of Representatives, said it was "decisive and justified."
As part of an escalating pressure campaign, Washington informally closed Venezuela's airspace, imposed more sanctions and ordered the seizure of tankers loaded with Venezuelan oil.
US forces have also carried out numerous strikes on boats in both the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean since September -- targeting what Washington says are drug smugglers -- that have killed more than 100 people, according to the US military.
Among other international reactions, Iran, Cuba and Colombia's leftist leader Gustavo Petro condemned the attacks, while the EU's top diplomat urged restraint. Spain offered to mediate.
burs-sms/des
O.Johnson--AMWN