-
Trump's big arch approved by ally-controlled board
-
SpaceX postpones highly anticipated Starship launch
-
Haaland and Odegaard lead Norway's World Cup hopes after 28-year absence
-
On key: Leo Woodall finds right notes in 'Tuner'
-
California governor orders a plan to cope with AI job upheaval
-
NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41 after illness: statement
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress
-
Humanitarian situation in Gaza still catastrophic: NGOs
-
Russell says Montreal 'just another race' as pressure mounts
-
'Hungry' Palou starts from pole in pursuit of second straight Indy 500 triumph
-
Southampton sanctions explained as ruling documents released
-
US stocks end volatile session higher as oil prices retreat
-
Ronaldo strikes twice to end long wait for Saudi title
-
Star stylists reveal secrets of making splash on Cannes red carpet
-
World Cup could make football 'mainstream' in co-host Canada
-
India postpones big cat summit over Ebola outbreak
-
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
-
Trump eases curbs on planet-warming gases used in refrigerants
-
Clinical Gujarat end Chennai IPL hopes with 89-run win
-
What's behind the social unrest in Bolivia?
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash
-
Trump pressures Supreme Court to rule for him on citizenship
-
UK details rules for single-sex spaces after landmark ruling
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Turkey after Israel deportation
-
Beloved Citroen 2CV revived as electric car
-
UK net migration halves in 2025 in boost for beleaguered Starmer
-
Rubio warns Cuba after US indicts former leader
-
Court ousts leadership of Turkey's main opposition party
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress before Pakistan army chief visit
-
Maguire 'shocked' to be omitted from England World Cup squad
-
US expects 'below normal' Atlantic hurricane season
-
Trump eases 'ridiculous' curbs on greenhouse gases used in refrigerants
-
Ineos-owned Nice in disarray before French Cup final against Lens
-
US Democrats release - and disown - 2024 election autopsy
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Istanbul from Israel: AFP
-
Ghana delays evacuation of 800 citizens from South Africa
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Paris-Rio crash
-
From conflict to cleaning, expo showcases China's drone dominance
-
Belgium's Segaert snatches Giro 12th stage, Eulalio stays in pink
-
Fans create AI-generated team songs ahead of World Cup
-
Italy and Spain urge EU sanctions on Israeli minister for activists' treatment
-
Senegal have 'big dreams' for 2026 World Cup
-
'People thought it was witchcraft': DR Congo's Ebola outbreak
-
Arteta on BBQ duty as Arsenal clinched Premier League title
-
Top UN court says right to strike protected in key labour treaty
-
Musk's SpaceX bonus comes with unique condition: colonize Mars
-
Guardiola's Premier League legacy carried forward by Spanish coaches
-
Walmart reports solid results but sees some consumers struggling
-
Oil gains, stocks slip on uncertain Mideast peace prospects
-
Stellantis unveils 60 bn euro push to revive profitability
What we know about the US attacks on Venezuela
After months of threats and pressure tactics, the United States on Saturday bombed Venezuela and toppled authoritarian left-wing leader Nicolas Maduro, who was seized to face trial in New York.
- How did it start? -
The first explosions were heard in the capital Caracas and surrounding areas shortly before 2:00 am (0600 GMT), continuing until around 3:15 am.
Images on social media showed helicopters silhouetted against the night sky and missiles slamming into targets, creating fireballs and huge plumes of smoke.
Trump said at 0921 GMT on his Truth Social platform that the United States had "successfully carried out a large scale strike against Venezuela" and that Maduro and his wife had been "captured and flown out of the Country."
Top US General Dan Caine said the goal of "Operation Absolute Resolve" was purely to seize Maduro, with airstrikes clearing the way for helicopters used in the capture raid.
Caine said the operation, involving more than 150 aircraft, followed months of preparation.
- What was hit? -
Fort Tiuna, Venezuela's largest military complex, was among the targets.
The vast base in southern Caracas is home to the defense ministry, a military academy and housing units for thousands of troops and their families.
AFP reporters saw flames and huge plumes of smoke rising from the complex.
At one of the entrances, which was still guarded, an armored vehicle and a truck were pocked with bullet marks.
La Carlota airbase east of Caracas was also targeted. AFP reporters saw an armored vehicle at the base in flames and a burned bus.
Explosions were also reported in La Guaira, north of Caracas, home to a port and an international airport; the north-central city of Maracay; and Higuerote on the Caribbean coast -- all within 100 kilometers (60 miles) of Caracas.
- Are there casualties? -
Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez accused US forces of firing missiles and rockets at residential areas.
As of Saturday night, Venezuelan authorities had yet to release casualty figures.
Trump, speaking on Fox News program "Fox and Friends," boasted that no US soldiers had been killed. He later told the New York Post that "many Cubans" who were protecting Maduro had died, the first indication of casualties from the US strikes.
- What has become of Maduro? -
The operation brought the curtain down on 12 years of increasingly authoritarian rule by Maduro, who had a $50 million US bounty on his head.
Trump posted a picture on Truth Social of the Venezuelan leader handcuffed and blindfolded aboard a US naval ship in the Caribbean.
From there he and his wife Cilia Flores were flown to New York to face drugs and weapons charges.
Trump said he followed the operation to capture Maduro live at his Mar-a-Lago estate "like I was watching a television show."
"He was in a very highly guarded... like a fortress actually," he said.
He said Maduro tried in vain to escape to a safe space.
Caine said intelligence agents had spent months studying how Maduro "moved, where he lived, where he traveled, what he ate, what he wore, what were his pets."
He said the 63-year-old Socialist and his wife surrendered without resistance.
- What next for Venezuela? -
Trump stunned US allies and foes alike by saying the United States would "run" Venezuela during an undetermined transitional period.
He indicated that could involve deploying US troops on the ground.
Venezuela's opposition leader, Nobel peace laureate Maria Corina Machado, took to social media to proclaim her country's "hour of freedom has arrived."
Machado, seen as a hero by many Venezuelans for her dogged resistance to Maduro, called for the opposition's candidate in the 2024 election to "immediately" assume the presidency.
Trump brushed aside any expectations Machado herself would emerge as leader, claiming she did not have "support or respect" in Venezuela.
O.Karlsson--AMWN