-
Trump's big arch approved by ally-controlled board
-
SpaceX postpones highly anticipated Starship launch
-
Haaland and Odegaard lead Norway's World Cup hopes after 28-year absence
-
On key: Leo Woodall finds right notes in 'Tuner'
-
California governor orders a plan to cope with AI job upheaval
-
NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41 after illness: statement
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress
-
Humanitarian situation in Gaza still catastrophic: NGOs
-
Russell says Montreal 'just another race' as pressure mounts
-
'Hungry' Palou starts from pole in pursuit of second straight Indy 500 triumph
-
Southampton sanctions explained as ruling documents released
-
US stocks end volatile session higher as oil prices retreat
-
Ronaldo strikes twice to end long wait for Saudi title
-
Star stylists reveal secrets of making splash on Cannes red carpet
-
World Cup could make football 'mainstream' in co-host Canada
-
India postpones big cat summit over Ebola outbreak
-
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
-
Trump eases curbs on planet-warming gases used in refrigerants
-
Clinical Gujarat end Chennai IPL hopes with 89-run win
-
What's behind the social unrest in Bolivia?
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash
-
Trump pressures Supreme Court to rule for him on citizenship
-
UK details rules for single-sex spaces after landmark ruling
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Turkey after Israel deportation
-
Beloved Citroen 2CV revived as electric car
-
UK net migration halves in 2025 in boost for beleaguered Starmer
-
Rubio warns Cuba after US indicts former leader
-
Court ousts leadership of Turkey's main opposition party
-
US voices hope on Iran deal progress before Pakistan army chief visit
-
Maguire 'shocked' to be omitted from England World Cup squad
-
US expects 'below normal' Atlantic hurricane season
-
Trump eases 'ridiculous' curbs on greenhouse gases used in refrigerants
-
Ineos-owned Nice in disarray before French Cup final against Lens
-
US Democrats release - and disown - 2024 election autopsy
-
First Gaza flotilla activists arrive in Istanbul from Israel: AFP
-
Ghana delays evacuation of 800 citizens from South Africa
-
Air France, Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Paris-Rio crash
-
From conflict to cleaning, expo showcases China's drone dominance
-
Belgium's Segaert snatches Giro 12th stage, Eulalio stays in pink
-
Fans create AI-generated team songs ahead of World Cup
-
Italy and Spain urge EU sanctions on Israeli minister for activists' treatment
-
Senegal have 'big dreams' for 2026 World Cup
-
'People thought it was witchcraft': DR Congo's Ebola outbreak
-
Arteta on BBQ duty as Arsenal clinched Premier League title
-
Top UN court says right to strike protected in key labour treaty
-
Musk's SpaceX bonus comes with unique condition: colonize Mars
-
Guardiola's Premier League legacy carried forward by Spanish coaches
-
Walmart reports solid results but sees some consumers struggling
-
Oil gains, stocks slip on uncertain Mideast peace prospects
-
Stellantis unveils 60 bn euro push to revive profitability
Over 30 killed, several kidnapped in central Nigeria
Armed gangs have raided a village in a north-central Nigerian state where hundreds of schoolchildren were abducted late last year, killing more than 30 people and kidnapping several others, police said Sunday.
Know locally as "bandits", the gangs invaded Kasuwan Daji village in Kabe district of Niger State and set a market ablaze, before looting shops for food.
"Over 30 victims lost their lives during the attack, some persons were also kidnapped," during the raid on Saturday, Wasiu Abiodun, Niger police spokesman said.
Several pictures and video footage seen by AFP showed that some of the victims had their hands tied to their backs before they were killed.
Gangs regularly carry out mass kidnappings for ransom and loot villages in the parts of northwest and northcentral Nigeria.
Niger state has been one of the hardest hit in recent months.
In November, armed gangs seized more than 250 students and staff from a Catholic school in the state.
Authorities announced their release in two batches weeks later without saying whether ransom was paid.
The attack took place less than 20 kilometres (12 miles) from Papiri village where the students and teachers were snatched from their school. The Catholic church in the area put the death toll at more than 40, a much higher toll than that given by police.
"Reports indicate the bandits operated for hours with no security presence," the Catholic Church in Kontagora said on its Facebook page.
Nigeria's security system is stretched thin by security challenges in different parts of the country.
Africa's most populous country faces multiple conflicts -- linked to a long-running jihadist insurgency, bandits, farmer-herder violence or southeastern separatists -- that kill both Christians and Muslims.
On Christmas Eve, a suspected suicide bomber killed at least five people in an attack on a mosque in northeastern Borno state.
Washington has in recent months criticised the country's failure to rein in the violence that President Donald Trump insists amounts to "persecution" of Christians -- a framing long used by the US religious right.
Despite the Nigerian government and independent analysts rejecting the accusations, the US launched surprise Christmas day airstrikes on militants linked to the Islamic State group.
Abuja said it approved the hits.
President Bola Tinubu in December vowed a national security revamp when he presented the government's 2026 budget to the national assembly, allocating the biggest chunk of spending to defence, days after he appointed a new defence minister.
A.Rodriguezv--AMWN