-
Acting US attorney general defends fund for prosecuted Trump allies
-
Mavericks part ways with head coach Kidd
-
Shock and bafflement at San Diego mosque where three were killed
-
US enforces law to crack down on sexual deepfakes
-
Arsenal crowned Premier League champions after Man City draw
-
New York art auctions roar back with blockbuster sales
-
US says held talks with Cuba on $100 mln offer
-
Chelsea beat Spurs to leave rivals in 'embarrassing' relegation danger
-
Google wants its search bar to act on your behalf in AI revamp
-
Taiwan author wins International Booker for 'slyly sophisticated' novel
-
Iran 'very confident' about World Cup protocols: federation vice-president
-
Google unveils smart glasses, taking on Meta
-
Guardiola swerves Man City exit talk as title hopes ended
-
Chiefs' Rice jailed for probation violation
-
Five factors in Arsenal's Premier League title triumph
-
Mikel Arteta: Pep protege to Premier League winner
-
How Arsenal banished 'nearly men' tag to end 22-year title wait
-
Arsenal win Premier League after Man City held by Bournemouth
-
From graduation boos to voter unease: AI anxiety grows in the US
-
Lost in Trump's climate boast: best-case scenario abandoned
-
Hantavirus cruise operator says ship not source of outbreak
-
Rubio to attend NATO talks, pay first visit to India
-
Under Trump pressure, EU seeks deal to end trade standoff
-
Airbus seeks to cut peripheral expenses due to Mideast war
-
France encourages women to report rape in probes of star Bruel
-
Guardiola silent on Man City exit reports
-
Argentine researchers collect rodents for hantavirus tests
-
Iran talks making 'good progress': US VP Vance
-
Teen wonder Sooryavanshi's slams 93 to edge Rajasthan closer to IPL play-offs
-
Norway reports Europe's first case of bird flu in a polar bear
-
Italy's Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
EU vows help for farmers hit by Iran war fertiliser price hikes
-
Emery focused on Villa glory, not crown of Europa League 'king'
-
French govt slams 'disproportionate' Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition
-
US, Iran trade threats but Trump says Tehran wants peace deal
-
Russia's Zvyagintsev sets film amid 'disaster' Ukraine war
-
UK trade minister hopes Britain will rejoin EU 'in my lifetime'
-
Race to find vaccines, treatments for Ebola strain behind outbreak
-
King Charles III bangs drum for Irish music, eyes hip-hop lesson
-
Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
Drone attack kills 28 at market in southern Sudan
-
Putin lands in China for trip that aims to show unshakeable ties after Trump pomp
-
Israel finance minister says ICC seeks arrest warrant against him
-
Kentucky primary vote tests Trump's grip on Republican base
-
Alcaraz withdraws from Wimbledon with wrist injury
-
Indie game plunges players into sci-fi epic 'Battlestar Galactica'
-
Trump shows off site of new $400-mn ballroom
-
Israeli troops in Iraq: what do we know?
-
Oil dips, stocks mixed after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
India rest Bumrah for one-off Test against Afghanistan
As Greenland storm passes, US allies focus on stepping up in NATO
US allies in NATO said Thursday they believed the crisis over Greenland had passed after the launch of a mission in the Arctic -- and looked to press on with bolstering Europe's role in the alliance.
President Donald Trump's threats against Denmark's autonomous Arctic territory last month plunged the 76-year-old transatlantic alliance into its deepest crisis in years, before he abruptly backed off.
As part of a package to assuage Trump -- who said the US needed to secure the region against a threat from Russia and China -- NATO announced Wednesday the start of an Arctic Sentry mission to increase security in the region.
Dutch Defence Minister Ruben Brekelmans said he was "fully confident that this will also meet the concerns of the United States" at a meeting with counterparts from the 32-nation alliance in Brussels.
But while Europe breathed a sigh of relief about the apparent passing of that storm, the Greenland crisis has only reinforced for many the urgent need for Europe to take a greater role in NATO and its own defence in the face of the threat from Russia.
"What I see today is this mindset shift, where people understand that, yes, it is about spending more, but also it is about a duty of vision that we have to do this together with the United States," said NATO boss Mark Rutte.
That is the message being sent by the Trump administration as well: that Europe needs to step up as Washington pivots to focus on other challenges such as China.
US defence under secretary Elbridge Colby said allies were making strides towards a situation where it is "Europe that leads the conventional defence of NATO" rather than traditionally relying on US military might.
And he said Washington would "continue to press, respectfully but firmly and insistently, for a rebalancing of roles and burdens within the Alliance".
"If Europe rises to this moment," he said, "the alliance will emerge stronger, more resilient, and better prepared for the challenges ahead," Colby told allies at NATO's Brussels headquarters.
- 'Expect more' -
To make good on plans for Europe to play a bigger role, NATO needs to make strides on fulfilling the pledge made at its summit last year for countries to massively ramp up defence spending.
Military budgets have already increased since Russia's 2022 invasion of Ukraine and Trump has spurred on that trend.
"The good news is that the billions are coming in," Rutte said.
He insisted however that he believed the United States would continue to play a central role in defending Europe.
"I predict that longer term, you will see, of course, the nuclear umbrella as the ultimate guarantor of our security here in Europe and Canada, but also a strong conventional presence of the US here in Europe," he said.
In a concrete sign of Europe taking more responsibility within NATO, the alliance this week announced the United States was handing two senior regional command positions to Britain and Italy.
The move was heralded by diplomats as a sign of increased "burden-sharing" within the alliance in action.
French Defence Minister Catherine Vautrin referred to a demand several months back from Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth that Europeans must be able to ensure their own security.
"Well, we are going to do it, we have started to do it," she said.
The next crucial staging post will be the NATO summit in Ankara in July when allies will have to convince Trump that they are already doing enough.
"We'll receive our first full report on allied defence spending," the NATO US ambassador Matthew Whitaker said this week.
"We still have some allies that need to step up, particularly those geographically further from NATO's eastern flank. They're not moving as fast as they should, and we really expect them to do more."
Ch.Havering--AMWN