-
Gu's exchange with AFP at Winter Olympics goes viral
-
Hamilton feeling 'connected' to new Ferrari car at test sessions
-
US lingerie magnate says was 'conned' by Epstein
-
Marner fires Canada into Olympic ice hockey semis, as Finland survive
-
Israel conducting 'gradual de facto annexation' of W.Bank: UN official
-
Alcaraz, Sinner cruise into Qatar Open quarter-finals
-
Mavs confirm Irving will miss rest of NBA season
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
-
Major US naval, air buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
White House tells Iran to do deal as Trump hints at US strikes
-
Gordon scores four as Newcastle hit Qarabag for six
-
French far-right leader accuses Macron, allies of strengthening hard-left after activist killed
-
Putin says Russia 'always' stands by Cuba, slams US sanctions
-
England's Joe Heyes says Princess Anne mistook him for Joe Marler
-
Marner sends Canada through to Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Seattle Seahawks put up for sale after Super Bowl win
-
U2 slam ICE, Putin in new 'Days of Ash' EP
-
Berlin Film Festival rejects accusation of censorship on Gaza
-
Sinner sees off Popyrin to reach Doha quarter-finals
-
Taylor Swift bags best-selling artist of 2025 award: industry body
-
Tiberi takes UAE Tour lead from Evenepoel
-
Paris prosecutor calls on Epstein victims in France to testify
-
India tune up for Super Eights with hard-fought win over the Dutch
-
Griffin warns Wales to beware Bath team-mate Russell in Scotland clash
-
Desperate search for nine skiers missing in California avalanche
-
Six highs and lows from the 2026 Winter Olympics alpine skiing
-
Peru set for eighth president in a decade
-
First woman envoy for Palestine dies in France: family
-
Laser-etched glass can store data for millennia, Microsoft says
-
Intense US naval, air power buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
Slovakia beat Germany to reach Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Greece to claim Nazi atrocity photos found on Ebay: minister
-
US energy chief says IEA must 'drop' focus on climate change
-
Shiffrin remembers deceased dad after Olympic slalom gold
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over dismantled climate rule
-
Curling's air of gentility melts amid cheating row
-
Dube lifts India to 193-6 against Dutch at T20 World Cup
-
Japan's Takaichi formally reappointed as PM following election victory
-
Polish bishop goes on trial for paedophilia cover-up
-
Mikaela Shiffrin, skiing's greatest back on top of the world
-
Denmark's King Frederik X arrives in Greenland in show of support
-
Gabon cuts off Facebook, TikTok amid teachers' strike
-
Ukraine's officials to boycott Paralympics over Russian flag decision
-
Notorious Courbet painting goes on show in Vienna
-
In reversal, US agrees to review new Moderna flu shot
-
Glencore still open to 'mega-miner' deal after Rio collapse
-
Shiffrin finally strikes Olympic gold, China win first title
-
Russian era ends at abandoned launchpad in South American jungle
-
'Utterly absurd': Kosovo ex-president denies war crimes as trial closes
-
Turkey to give cash for soap TV series that boost national image
White House tells Iran to do deal as Trump hints at US strikes
The White House warned on Wednesday that Iran would be "wise" to do a deal with the United States as President Donald Trump once again hinted at military action.
The two sides recently resumed indirect talks, mediated by Oman, after Trump repeatedly threatened military action against Iran over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month.
A previous attempt at negotiations collapsed when Israel launched surprise strikes on Iran last June, beginning a 12-day war that Washington briefly joined to bomb Iranian nuclear sites.
"Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with his administration," White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters.
On Wednesday, Trump again suggested the United States might strike Iran in a post on his Truth Social site, with a US military buildup underway in the Middle East.
He warned Britain against giving up sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, saying that the archipelago's Diego Garcia airbase might be needed were Iran not to agree a deal, "in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime".
Earlier on Wednesday, Tehran's top diplomat, Abbas Araghchi, said Iran was "drafting" a framework for future talks with the US.
Iran and the US held a second round of Oman-mediated negotiations on Tuesday in Geneva.
Araghchi said then that Tehran had agreed with Washington on "guiding principles", but US Vice President JD Vance said Iran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.
- 'Do not want war' -
Speaking on Wednesday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian insisted "We do not want war" but suggested Tehran could not give in to US demands.
"From the day I took office, I have believed that war must be set aside. But if they are going to try to impose their will on us, humiliate us and demand that we bow our heads at any cost, should we accept that?"
Earlier on Wednesday, Araghchi held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.
In the call, the Iranian foreign minister "stressed the Islamic Republic of Iran's focus on drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks", according to a statement from his ministry.
Tehran has suspended some cooperation with the IAEA and restricted the watchdog's inspectors from accessing sites bombed by Israel and the United States, accusing the UN body of bias and of failing to condemn the strikes.
Meanwhile, US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would deter Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other".
"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.
- Displays of military might -
The Omani-mediated talks were aimed at averting the possibility of US military action, while Tehran is demanding the lifting of US sanctions that are crippling its economy.
Iran has insisted that the discussions be limited to the nuclear issue, though Washington has previously pushed for Tehran's ballistic missiles programme and support for armed groups in the region to be on the table.
While talks have resumed, the US has also been building up its military forces near Iran.
Washington has ordered a second aircraft carrier to the region, with the first, the USS Abraham Lincoln and its nearly 80 aircraft, positioned about 700 kilometres (435 miles) from the Iranian coast as of Sunday, satellite images showed.
Iran has sought to display its own military might, with its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps beginning a series of war games on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz.
Iranian politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strait, a major global conduit for oil and gas.
On Tuesday state TV reported that Tehran would close parts of the waterway for safety measures during the drills.
A.Malone--AMWN