-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander wins second straight NBA MVP award
-
White House mass prayer event seeks to reclaim US Christian roots
-
International dive group joins Maldives search for missing Italians
-
'Staggering' Iran toll drives up global executions: Amnesty
-
Rai wins first major at PGA with back-nine birdie blitz
-
Woad bags second LPGA title at Queen City Championship
-
Lebanon says Israeli strikes kill 7 as Hezbollah condemns talks
-
Revived La Rochelle trounce Top 14 leaders Toulouse
-
PSG beaten by Paris FC in Ligue 1 as Lille qualify for Champions League
-
Griezmann apologetic on emotional Atletico Madrid farewell
-
Raging Neymar forced off by refereeing error as Santos lose
-
Sinner extends Masters tournament streak on home turf, eyes French Open
-
Canadian cruise passenger confirmed positive for hantavirus
-
England see off gutsy France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Sevilla safe despite Real Madrid defeat, Mallorca on brink
-
UK police detail arrests after far-right rally and counter demo
-
Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit
-
Trump issues dire warning to Iran to accept peace deal
-
West Ham on brink of Premier League relegation, Man Utd seal third
-
Bulgaria's Eurovision winner flies home to rapturous welcome
-
Starc takes four to keep Delhi alive in IPL
-
Kyiv residents protest 'dangerous' civil code, call for LGBTQ rights
-
Modiba thunderbolt gives Sundowns victory in African final first leg
-
World champions England see off France to clinch another Women's Six Nations
-
Taiwan's leader says island will not be 'traded away'
-
Sinner wins Italian Open, extends Masters tournament streak
-
'Michael' moonwalks back to top of N. America box office
-
Putter powers sizzling Kitayama to record 63 at PGA
-
Travolta channelled film greats in low-thrust plane movie
-
Scotland rugby great Scott Hastings dead at 61 - SRU
-
Fujimori and Sanchez advance to Peru runoff: official results
-
Italian PM meets victims of Modena car incident
-
'Fight relentlessly': Ukraine commander vows strikes into Russia
-
Kitayama fires sizzling 63 at PGA as No.1 Scheffler starts
-
Fernandes equals Premier League assist record in Man Utd win, West Ham brace for Newcastle
-
Ireland thrash Scotland 54-5 in Women's Six Nations to finish third
-
Vingegaard climbs to victory as Eulalio holds firm in pink
-
Carrick expects clarity on Man Utd future in 'coming days'
-
Eyewitness says Modena tragedy could have been even worse
-
Around 10 'new' victims in France's Epstein probe: prosecutor
-
Shock threat by billionaire Bollore's Canal+ group rocks French cinema
-
Kohli, Venkatesh dazzle as Bengaluru qualify for IPL play-offs
-
Probes ongoing into alleged abuse at 84 Paris preschools: prosecutor
-
Di Giannantonio wins Catalan MotoGP Grand Prix, Alex Marquez injured in horror crash
-
Fernandes equals assist record as Man Utd edge Forest thriller
-
Earps to leave PSG, in talks with London City Lionesses
-
Bowlers, Joy put Bangladesh on top in second Pakistan Test
Hong Kong panel hears safety measures failed on day of deadly fire
Almost all life-saving fire safety measures failed on the day a devastating blaze tore through a Hong Kong housing complex last year, killing 168 people, a public hearing was told on Thursday.
The November 26 blaze at Wang Fuk Court, a high-rise apartment complex in the financial hub's Tai Po district, was the world's deadliest residential building fire since 1980.
It engulfed seven of the eight residential towers in the complex, which were undergoing renovations and covered in bamboo scaffolding, protective netting and foam boards that may have contributed to the fire's rapid spread.
Leading counsel Victor Dawes told the independent committee conducting the hearings that the blaze had "left a scar that is hard to forget" on the city's collective memory.
"Based on the evidence gathered, on the day of the fire almost all of the life-saving fire safety measures failed because of human factors," Dawes said on the first day of the hearings.
"This process may be very difficult and heavy... but only this way can we make Hong Kong a safer city," he said.
Dawes described the blaze as a "facade fire" and said it was the "combined result of multiple factors".
The committee collected more than a million documents, including text and visual testimony from residents, building workers and firefighters, the hearing was told.
More than 4,600 residents lived in the Wang Fuk Court complex at the time of the fire, more than 1,700 aged 60 or older, Dawes said.
- 'There's no fire alarm' -
Clips played at Thursday's hearing showed flames shooting up the building and scaffolding falling from the exterior after the fire broke out early in the afternoon.
"There's no fire alarm," voices from one piece of footage could be heard saying.
Dawes showed a clip of residents at one block attempting to use the fire hose and activate the fire alarm as the fire spread, but both were inoperable.
He also said falling bamboo had "created extreme difficulty for firefighters" and that it had blocked the main escape route for residents of one of the towers less than half an hour after the alarm was raised.
Just over 100 people also watched a livestream of the hearing in a lecture hall at a Hong Kong library arranged by the committee as a satellite location.
Those watching sat grim-faced as the committee played another clip that showed the fire engulfing one of the buildings in less than four minutes.
"The government is one of the culprits; we must identify those officials and fire them," one middle-aged man told reporters as he entered the hearing in a city exhibition hall.
"They have not apologised at all. They must apologise."
Former resident Seneca Lee said it was important to determine what caused the fire and find out who was responsible.
"At the very least, we need to know what caused the fire and why it spread so rapidly, becoming completely uncontrollable," Lee said before the hearing.
A 69-year-old man who gave only his surname Law said he had lived at Wang Fuk Court for more than three decades and could not understand why fire alarms did not go off.
"That doesn't make any sense," Law said.
"I have a relative who passed away, so I'm feeling down."
Government officials, former residents, the directors of construction firms and members of the Wang Fuk Court management committee are expected to appear at the hearings.
The judge-led committee will investigate whether fire safety standards were inadequate, if construction practices contributed to the fire and if there were failures by government officers or contractors.
Police are also conducting a criminal investigation and have arrested 38 people on charges including manslaughter and fraud.
Hong Kong's anti-graft watchdog has also arrested 23 people, including consultants, contractors and members of the owners' corporation of the complex, the Independent Commission Against Corruption said on Wednesday.
A.Rodriguezv--AMWN