-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
-
Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour
-
China's Baidu, betting on AI, posts fifth straight quarterly revenue drop
Ukraine wants details of Russia's army parade truce offer
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Thursday said Kyiv would seek details from Washington about a Kremlin offer for a ceasefire on May 9, when Russia holds large-scale World War II commemorations.
Russian leader Vladimir Putin made the proposal to pause fighting in his four-year invasion of Ukraine during a call with US President Donald Trump a day earlier. The Kremlin said Trump supported the move.
The proposal came after Russia announced earlier this week that no army hardware would be included in this year's World War II Victory Day celebrations, breaking with its traditional bombastic display of military might.
It called the decision a precautionary measure given the threat of Ukrainian retaliatory strikes.
Responding to Putin's new Victory Day truce proposal, Zelensky said he had instructed members of his team to get more details on what exactly was on the table, saying Ukraine ultimately wants to end the war.
"We will clarify what exactly this is about -- a few hours of security for a parade in Moscow, or something more," Zelensky said in the statement.
"Our proposal is a long-term ceasefire, reliable and guaranteed security for people, and a lasting peace. Ukraine is ready to work toward this in any dignified and effective format," he added.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Thursday that the overarching idea was for the ceasefire to last for Victory Day itself, May 9, but that the precise timings would be determined by Putin.
The United States has spearheaded efforts to bring Russia's invasion to a close through a negotiated settlement, but those efforts -- already fraught with major divisions -- have been derailed by fighting in the Middle East.
The Kremlin's call for a short halt in fighting came several weeks after the warring countries agreed an Easter truce that was marred by allegations of violations by both sides.
- 'We shouldn't make concessions' -
The centrepiece of Russia's May 9 celebrations is typically a massive military parade through Red Square in Moscow, presided over by Putin.
Cities throughout the country hold public celebrations that draw large crowds onto the streets, and world leaders allied with Putin descend on Moscow for the army procession.
In central Kyiv, some residents of the Ukrainian capital said they did not believe Putin's Victory Day proposal was in Ukraine's interests.
"If it were a complete ceasefire, then yes. But a partial one -- no, we shouldn't make concessions to them," said Nadia Maiboroda, a pensioner.
"They are insidious; they will do what they want, and it will not save us, in any case," added the 71-year-old, who was displaced by fighting in eastern Ukraine.
Vitaliy, a 26-year-old philologist, was hopeful the proposal could lead to a longer halt in combat.
"Any ceasefire is always good. If it can be stopped for one day, that means it can be stopped for a longer term. The question is who will comply with it and how," he told AFP.
Ukraine's army has increased its long-range strikes against energy and military targets deep behind the front lines in recent months, regularly sending batches of drones towards the capital.
Kyiv is aiming to dent the oil revenues that fund Russia's war chest.
Russia has meanwhile pursued its campaign of long-range drone and missile attacks.
Zelensky's response to Putin's ceasefire proposal on Thursday came as Moscow's forces killed two people in the southern city of Kherson, and in the Dnipropetrovsk region, local officials said.
Twenty more people were wounded in the Black Sea port city of Odesa, the head of the region said.
The invasion of Ukraine, launched by Russia in February 2022, has become the bloodiest conflict in Europe since World War II, killing hundreds of thousands of people and displacing millions.
O.M.Souza--AMWN