-
Firefighters push to 'encircle' Belgian wildfire
-
Crude extends gains, most stocks drop as Mideast hopes dim
-
ISS to host first spacewalk by Frenchwoman
-
Rift deepens as Asia football chief hits back at Qatar in Infantino saga
-
Philippine student killed in livestreamed school shooting
-
India extend lead to 294 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
More Trump-Kim 'love'? What we know about North Korea
-
Asian allies stress 'critical cooperation' as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages
-
Williams sisters fall at Cincinnati while Zverev advances
-
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal
-
Transylvania's fortified churches face fragile future
-
Australian cricketer Warner ordered to use breathalyser vehicle lock
-
China mourns former premier Zhu Rongji with flags lowered, funeral
-
A Viking longship in 'The Odyssey'? It's a case of history meets Hollywood
-
Philippine student killed in rare school shooting
-
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
-
Arsenal primed for Premier League title defence as rivals face questions
-
Japan lights torch as countdown begins to Asian Games
-
Zverev advances at Cincinnati while Williams sisters fall
-
Make it rain: Indonesia chases clouds to stem El Nino fires
-
Copper powers profit rise at mining giant BHP
-
All aboard as Asian Games preparations enter 'final stages'
-
Whales spark joy in New York but face threats from boat traffic
-
Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next
-
Premier League's new bosses brace for battle
-
How families in Milei's Argentina sank deep into debt
-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Bioz and Xenocs Improve Researcher Product Evaluation Through On-Page Publication Insights
-
Great Western Mining Corporation PLC Announces Drilling Commences at Defender Tungsten Project
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - August 18
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
US scraps deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland
The United States has canceled the planned deployment of 4,000 soldiers to Poland, US officials said Friday, as Washington reorganizes its forces in Europe after announcing it would withdraw thousands of troops from Germany.
The head of US European Command "received the instructions on the force reduction," General Christopher LaNeve, the acting chief of staff of the US Army, said during a congressional hearing when asked about the canceled deployment.
"I've worked with him in close consultation on what that force unit would be, and it... made the most sense for that brigade to not do its deployment in theater," LaNeve said, referring to the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team.
Some elements of the unit had already been sent overseas and its equipment was in transit, the general said.
Secretary of the Army Dan Driscoll, testifying alongside LaNeve, said the unit's planned deployment was canceled "a couple days ago."
At the beginning of this month, the Pentagon announced that Washington would pull 5,000 troops from Germany, with spokesman Sean Parnell saying the withdrawal was expected "to be completed over the next six to twelve months."
That announcement came during a heated dispute between Donald Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz over the US-Israeli war against Iran, and the US president subsequently said the troop reduction would be "a lot further than 5,000," without providing details.
Poland's defense minister, Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz, suggested Friday that the cancelation of the deployment to his country could be related to the removal of troops from Germany.
"If a brigade other than the one originally planned is sent to Poland -- maybe the one from Germany -- and 5,000 soldiers leave Germany for Poland... there is no change to the security guarantees," Kosiniak-Kamysz told reporters.
Trump has threatened to slash US troop numbers in Germany and other European allies during both his White House terms, saying he wants Europe to take on greater responsibility for its defense rather than depending on Washington.
He now appears determined to punish allies who have failed to back the Middle East war or contribute to a peacekeeping force in the crucial Strait of Hormuz waterway, which Tehran's forces have effectively closed.
A NATO official told AFP on Friday that "we know that the US is working to adjust its posture in Europe."
"A focus on rotational forces would not impact NATO's deterrence and defense plans. And we're already seeing increasing presence on the eastern flank from Canada and Germany -- all of which contributes to a stronger NATO overall," the official added.
burs-wd/md
O.Johnson--AMWN