-
Philippine student killed in livestreamed school shooting
-
India extend lead to 294 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
More Trump-Kim 'love'? What we know about North Korea
-
Asian allies stress 'critical cooperation' as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages
-
Williams sisters fall at Cincinnati while Zverev advances
-
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal
-
Transylvania's fortified churches face fragile future
-
Australian cricketer Warner ordered to use breathalyser vehicle lock
-
China mourns former premier Zhu Rongji with flags lowered, funeral
-
A Viking longship in 'The Odyssey'? It's a case of history meets Hollywood
-
Philippine student killed in rare school shooting
-
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
-
Arsenal primed for Premier League title defence as rivals face questions
-
Japan lights torch as countdown begins to Asian Games
-
Zverev advances at Cincinnati while Williams sisters fall
-
Make it rain: Indonesia chases clouds to stem El Nino fires
-
Copper powers profit rise at mining giant BHP
-
All aboard as Asian Games preparations enter 'final stages'
-
Whales spark joy in New York but face threats from boat traffic
-
Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next
-
Premier League's new bosses brace for battle
-
How families in Milei's Argentina sank deep into debt
-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Great Western Mining Corporation PLC Announces Drilling Commences at Defender Tungsten Project
-
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC Announces Transaction in Own Shares - August 18
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
US President Donald Trump said he was planning a major new assault on Iran on Tuesday, but held off as he saw hope for securing a so far elusive agreement to end the war.
Trump said that he stopped his purported attack plan at the urging of Gulf Arab allies, which Iran has threatened with reciprocal attacks if the United States and Israel end a nearly six-week ceasefire.
Trump, who had indefinitely extended the truce and made clear he wants to exit a war that has proven to be a political liability, said he had prepared a new attack for Tuesday after Iran refused his outlines of a deal.
The leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates asked him "to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.
But Trump added he had instructed the US military to be "prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
Speaking later at a White House event, Trump said there had been a "very positive development" and that Arab allies said a deal was near that would leave Iran without nuclear weapons, which Tehran denies pursuing.
"There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I'd be very happy," Trump said.
Iran has repeatedly rebuffed Trump's offers and has exerted control over the Strait of Hormuz, the vital waterway into the Gulf, sending global oil prices spiraling.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei confirmed exchanges with the United States through mediator Pakistan and said Tehran made clear its "concerns."
The cleric-run state, whose supreme leader was killed in the initial strikes on February 28 but has proven resilient, is demanding the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad, the lifting of long-standing sanctions and reparations for the war.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, considered a moderate in a system increasingly dominated since the war by the hardline Revolutionary Guards, said that speaking with Washington "does not mean surrender" and that Iran would defend its "dignity" and rights.
Iran's Fars news agency said Sunday that Washington had presented a five-point list, which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.
US authorities had refused to release "even 25 percent" of Iran's frozen assets or pay any reparations, Fars said.
But Iran's Tasnim news agency, citing an unnamed source close to the Iranian negotiating team, said the United States made one new step forward in the latest text by agreeing to waive oil sanctions while negotiations were underway.
- New Hormuz body -
In an earlier proposal, which was sent last week, Iran had called for an end to the war on all fronts, including Israel's campaign in Lebanon, as well as a halt to a US naval blockade on Iranian ports in place since April 13.
Fars said the Iranian proposal had emphasized that Tehran would continue to manage the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a vital energy conduit which Iran has largely kept closed since the start of the war.
On Monday, the Persian Gulf Strait Authority, a new body Iran has set up to manage the strait, said it would provide "real-time updates" on the waterway via X.
The Revolutionary Guards also said Monday that internet fiber optic cables passing through the strait could be brought under an Iranian system of permits.
Hoping to control oil prices, the US Treasury extended by 30 days a sanctions waiver for Russian oil cargoes already at sea, continuing to ease the pressure on Moscow since its 2022 invasion of Ukraine.
- Strike in Kurdistan -
Iran has also been ramping up military pressure.
The Revolutionary Guards on Monday said they struck groups linked to the United States and Israel within the Iranian province of Kurdistan, near the border with Iraq.
In a statement carried by the ISNA news agency, the Guards said groups from "northern Iraq and acting on behalf of the US and the Zionist regime were attempting to smuggle a large shipment of American weapons and ammunition" into Iran.
Raising fears even higher in the region, a drone strike on Sunday -- unclaimed but which a UAE official appeared to blame on Iran -- triggered a fire near a nuclear power station in the emirate of Abu Dhabi.
Trita Parsi, a critic of the war who is executive vice president of the Washington-based Quincy Institute think tank, said that Trump's latest message aimed to reframe the narrative to show himself in control of developments.
The Gulf Arabs' warning against an attack "could be true, but either way, they provide him with a face-saving exit from his previous threats," he said.
burs-sct/md
D.Moore--AMWN