-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
UN Security Council to meet on Lebanon war as Israeli forces push into south
The UN Security Council was to hold an emergency meeting on the war in Lebanon, as Israel pounded the country and pressed its deepest offensive into Lebanese territory in two decades on Monday.
Ahead of the meeting, US President Donald Trump posted on social media that he had persuaded Israel and Hezbollah to de-escalate, hours after Israel threatened to again target Beirut's densely populated southern suburbs.
It comes a day before Lebanon and Israel are to begin a fourth round of US-hosted direct negotiations on Tuesday. Military delegations held security talks last week.
"There will be no Troops going to Beirut, and any Troops that are on their way, have already been turned back," Trump said on his Truth Social network after a "very productive" call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
"Likewise, through highly placed Representatives, I had a very good call with Hezbollah, and they agreed that all shooting will stop -- That Israel will not attack them, and they will not attack Israel," he added.
Earlier on Monday, Tehran -- engaged in stalled negotiations for an end to its wider war with the Washington -- said a Lebanon ceasefire remained a key condition for any deal, as Iran's Revolutionary Guards threatened to open "new fronts" over Israel's offensive in Lebanon.
Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on more than 40 locations in the country's south on Monday, including one that damaged a hospital in the city of Tyre.
An AFP correspondent saw heavy damage in the area and first responders putting out a blaze at the Jabal Amel hospital's car park which had been hit.
The health ministry shared videos showing damage inside a hospital ward, with rubble and debris on the ground, blown-out ceilings, blood on the floor and shattered glass.
- 'No calm in Beirut' -
Hezbollah claimed a series of attacks on Israeli troops who have invaded southern Lebanon and on targets across the border on Monday.
Before Trump's statement, a source close to Hezbollah told AFP on condition of anonymity that the group had "not committed to stop attacking" northern Israel.
Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said that "we are deeply alarmed by the escalation in military activities across southern Lebanon and beyond," urging all sides "to respect the cessation of hostilities and avoid further escalation".
Earlier on Monday, Netanyahu and his Defence Minister Israel Katz said they had ordered strikes on Beirut's southern suburbs "in light of the repeated violations of the ceasefire in Lebanon by the terrorist organisation Hezbollah and the attacks on our cities and citizens".
Israel's military later urged residents of the area, a Hezbollah stronghold mostly spared heavy attacks since April, to evacuate.
It also issued evacuation warnings for more than a dozen south Lebanon locations.
Katz said separately there would be "no calm in Beirut" if Hezbollah attacks continued, vowing to establish a military-controlled zone in the area of southern Lebanon's Litani River.
AFP journalists saw hundreds of families fleeing the usually densely populated southern suburbs, some on foot or on motorbikes, others in cars packed with belongings. A correspondent later said streets there were largely deserted.
- 'Vicious aggression' -
Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the Middle East war on March 2 by firing rockets at Israel in retaliation for the US-Israeli killing of Iran's supreme leader.
A truce to halt the fighting in Lebanon began on April 17, but has never been observed. Both Israel and Hezbollah accuse each other daily of violating the ceasefire, justifying their attacks by the other's alleged breaches.
South Beirut resident Hadi, 24, said he had hoped for some stability during the truce but "that feeling did not last long".
"Our fears intensified this morning" after the Israeli announcement, which "caused widespread panic, and we immediately left the area", he told AFP by telephone.
Lebanon's health ministry said Israeli attacks since March 2 have killed at least 3,433 people.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said his country was facing "a vicious and reprehensible Israeli aggression", calling talks with Israel "the only solution to stop the war with the least possible damage".
On Sunday, Israeli troops seized south Lebanon's strategic Beaufort castle, which they used as a base during their previous two-decade occupation of southern Lebanon that ended in 2000.
Hezbollah said its fighters were now in a "battle of attrition" against Israeli forces near the fortress.
H.E.Young--AMWN