-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
Disgraced ex-prince Andrew sublet royal cottages, UK auditors reveal
Britain's disgraced former prince Andrew earned a private income from subletting cottages while paying a symbolic "peppercorn rent" for a mansion for over two decades, government auditors revealed Friday.
The report into the royal family's residences was sparked by controversy over Andrew's living arrangements following his banishment from public life for his ties to late US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, and shines new light on the royal family's finances.
King Charles III's younger brother, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor after being stripped of his titles last year, lived until recently in the Royal Lodge on the royal family's Windsor estate near London.
While living rent-free in a 30-room house, Andrew pocketed proceeds from subletting three cottages on its large grounds, a report on royal property income by the National Audit Office (NAO) revealed.
"We do not know what rent was charged," the auditors said, adding that the cottages have been vacant since April.
Andrew's daughters Beatrice and Eugenie have apartments at royal palaces with rent paid from the privy purse -- King Charles's private income -- despite not being working royals, the report also revealed.
"The royal family is yet again taking the public for a complete ride," said Norman Baker, a lawmaker for the centrist Liberal Democrats and long-time critic of royal finances.
The report was released as British media carried a photo of Andrew with what appeared to be large bruise on his face. They reported that it was not a cause for concern.
Parliament's Public Accounts Committee is set to launch an inquiry this year into royal properties, as debate rages about the monarchy's opaque living arrangements.
Margaret Hodge, a Labour peer who chaired the committee between 2010 and 2015, told the BBC it was "shocking" the NAO did not know how much money Andrew made from the sublets.
The Times newspaper reported that some of Andrew's tenants were long-serving staff.
Andrew, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth II was briefly arrested in February amid new revelations stemming from his friendship with Epstein, who died in a New York prison in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex-trafficking charges.
- 'Premium' -
Officers are probing allegations that Andrew shared sensitive information with Epstein, a former high-flying financier, during the former prince's time as UK trade envoy between 2001 and 2011.
Police searched the Royal Lodge in February as part of the probe into his suspected misconduct in public office. He has not been charged.
Andrew has since moved to the king's private Sandringham estate in eastern England.
He paid a £1 million ($1.4 million) "premium" to lease the Royal Lodge, agreeing to spend £7.5 mn on improvements to secure a 75-year-lease on a peppercorn rent.
The lease allowed Andrew to claim compensation for ending it early.
By moving out this year, he could claim over £300,000 but is expected to receive nothing because of needed repairs, according to the Crown Estate.
This self-funding public corporation that manages royal properties is supposed to follow finance ministry guidelines on effective use of public funds.
Charles has been undertaking an overhaul of the royal family's finances since his mother's death in 2022.
His heir, Prince William, the Prince of Wales, pays over £300,000 annual rent for a house in Windsor, Forest Lodge, the NAO said.
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said the report was "in line with the royal household's commitment to transparency".
"As the report notes, arrangements for properties managed by the royal household vary based on a number of factors to ensure residences are filled appropriately, depending on their location, tenants and purpose," they added.
Members of the royal family are due to attend the wedding of Peter Phillips, the son of Charles's sister Princess Anne, to nurse Harriet Sperling at a private ceremony on Saturday.
P.M.Smith--AMWN