-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
Sea drone explodes in the Romanian port of Constanta, no casualties
A sea drone exploded early Friday in Romania's Black Sea port of Constanta without causing casualties, officials said, a week after an aerial drone injured two when it crashed into an apartment building in the country.
The EU and NATO nation has reported dozens of airspace breaches since the start of the war in Ukraine in 2022, blaming Russia for them, and asked the alliance to bolster air defences.
The sea drone was "of the type used in the war in Ukraine" and not part of the Romanian military's inventory, the defence ministry said in a press release, adding the drone "self-destructed around 10:30 am local time (0730 GMT) without causing any casualties".
Romanian President Nicusor Dan had earlier said on X that the "significant security incident" represents "the direct consequences of the war of aggression launched by Russia against Ukraine," which requires "a high level of vigilance".
The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, also said the incident was a direct consequence or Russia's war against Ukraine.
"It is increasingly becoming a direct threat to countries on our Eastern border," she wrote on X.
Russia said the sea drone was Ukrainian.
"These are Ukrainian unmanned maritime vehicles... Attempts to link these drones, directly or indirectly, to Russia and to attribute responsibility for the incident to Russia are completely unfounded," the Russian embassy in Bucharest said on Telegram.
- NATO monitoring -
NATO stated that the alliance was monitoring the situation after being informed by Romania on the incident.
"We continue to closely coordinate with the Romanian authorities," a NATO official said.
Romanian authorities evacuated the coastal area - more than 1,000 people - and sent two helicopters to scan the area for any other possible devices.
Inhabitants and tourists received phone alerts to avoid the coastal area within a one-kilometre (0.6-mile) radius.
"Our measures at this time are purely preventive," Raed Arafat, head of the Department of Emergency Situations said in a press conference.
"What's important is that there was information that this drone was going to explode," so everyone was safe, president Dan told reporters while in Montenegro for the EU-Western Balkans summit.
On May 29, a drone exploded on the roof of an apartment building in the city of Galati, close to the border with Ukraine, injuring a mother and her adolescent son, the most serious such incident after the start of the war in Ukraine.
President Dan said that Bucharest had confirmed the drone in the Galati strike was Geran-2, saying it was "of Russian origin".
Earlier this week a sea drone was found on a beach on the Black Sea coast.
G.Stevens--AMWN