-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
Ukrainian sea drone explodes in Romanian port, no casualties
A Ukrainian sea drone exploded Friday in Romania's Black Sea port of Constanta without causing injury, officials said, and the Ukrainian navy blamed Russian jamming for knocking the device off course.
The sea drone was "of the type used in the war in Ukraine" and not part of the Romanian military's inventory, Bucharest's defence ministry said in a statement, adding the device "self-destructed around 10:30 am (0730 GMT) without causing any casualties".
Ukraine confirmed the device was one of its naval drones, saying it had been knocked off course by Russian electronic interference.
"While carrying out missions in the Black Sea operational area, one of the Ukrainian Navy's unmanned surface vessels came under the influence of the enemy's electronic warfare systems, lost control, and ended up near the coast of Romania," Ukraine's navy said.
Ukrainian foreign ministry spokesman Georgii Tykhyi said Kyiv "informed the Romanian side in a timely manner of a naval drone that it had lost control because of Russian jamming". The official said effective coordination had ensured the taking of "necessary measures to prevent harm to civilians".
Tykhyi added: "This incident shows once again that Russia's ongoing full-scale aggression poses a threat not only to Ukraine, but to the entire region."
"These are Ukrainian unmanned maritime vehicles," the Russian embassy in Bucharest said earlier on Telegram.
"Attempts to link these drones, directly or indirectly, to Russia and to attribute responsibility for the incident to Russia are completely unfounded," the embassy added.
Romanian officials said that Ukraine informed them about losing control of four drones in total.
"In addition to the drone that self-destructed in the Port of Constanta, a second one self-detonated, under the supervision of the Coast Guard, off the coast of the Port of Constanta, and two other drones exploded approximately 145 km east of Constanta," President Nicusor Dan wrote on X.
The incident came a week after a Russian aerial drone injured two people when it crashed onto an apartment building in Galati, near Romania's border with Ukraine.
Romania, a European Union and NATO member, has reported dozens of airspace breaches since the start of the war in Ukraine in 2022, blaming Russia.
It has asked the Atlantic alliance to bolster air defences.
President Dan said on X that Friday's "significant security incident" represents "the direct consequences of the war of aggression launched by Russia against Ukraine", which requires "a high level of vigilance".
The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, also said the incident was a direct consequence or Russia's war in Ukraine.
"It is increasingly becoming a direct threat to countries on our Eastern border," she wrote on X.
- NATO monitoring -
NATO said it was monitoring events after Romania informed it of the incident.
"We continue to closely coordinate with the Romanian authorities," a NATO official said.
Romanian authorities evacuated more than 1,000 people from the coastal area and sent two helicopters to monitor for any other possible devices.
Inhabitants and tourists received phone alerts to avoid the area within a one-kilometre (0.6-mile) radius.
"Our measures at this time are purely preventive," said emergency management chief Raed Arafat.
"What's important is that there was information that this drone was going to explode," so everyone was safe, President Dan told reporters in Montenegro, where he was attending an EU summit with Balkan leaders.
President Dan said at the weekend that Bucharest had confirmed the May 29 drone strike in Galati, near the Ukrainian border, was a Geran-2 "of Russian origin", which injured a mother and her adolescent son.
Earlier this week, a sea drone was found on a beach on Romania's Black Sea coast.
M.Thompson--AMWN